There’s a lot you don’t know about laser hair reduction. Does it hurt? Will it work? I recently started the treatment at Bare Med Spa in Kansas City at the downtown location. If you haven’t visited their new location, it is a must. I just started a few weeks ago and thought I would share 10 things you should know before you begin laser hair reduction.
1. You need to shave before your appointment so the technician can place the laser directly on the root of the hair.
2. The lasers have a setting that adjusts to not only your skin type, but your hair type as well. The laser fires a concentrated beam of light that’s directed at the pigment in your hair follicles. This kills the follicle at its root, preventing them from growing back. I wouldn’t say it is painful, but you can definitely feel it.
3. Avoid waxing up to 4 weeks or longer before your appointment. The laser targets the pigment of your hair follicle, and the follicle actually has to be there in order for this to work. I was little surprised by this, thinking waxing would be better than shaving but that is not the case. Say bye bye to those bikini waxes if you are moving forward with laser hair reduction.
4. It takes at least 6 sessions to see optimal results. Make friends with your technician because you will see each other every once every 6 weeks for quite a while. I recommend visiting Tracey at the Bare Med Spa downtown Kansas City location. She made me feel super comfortable and is very experienced with the process.
5. Stay consistent with your appointments. Space them out every 6 weeks so you hair has enough time to cycle as your hair follicles are on their own growth cycle.
6. Some hair and skin types might be a little harder to treat but it’s still possible. I am doing my underarms, bikini and legs. I am having all areas treated at each appointment. Dark hair follicles are usually easy to treat because, again, the laser targets the hair’s pigment.
7. Avoid direct sunlight on any of the areas that you are treating and always use a moisturizer with SPF. I choose to start in the fall because of this specific reason. It is best to do the treatments when you are not directly in the sun or having changes to your skin color.
8. During your treatment, the sensation will feel like a warm rubber band snapping against your skin. You will definitely be able to feel it, but I didn’t notice any discomfort after the treatment.
9. During the next day or two after, it’s normal for your skin to appear a little red. Avoid excessive heat and sunlight. Again, I didn’t notice any sensitivity, but it is common.
10. The results are for laser hair reduction and because of hair growth cycles you can not guarantee that all hair will be gone. Touch ups maybe be requited, your laser hair removal are something you will never forget!
Start the process with me now and we will be ready for swimsuit season just in time next year. 😉
Disclosure: I am receiving services from Bare Med Spa, however all opinions are my own.