Although the Mayans were not correct in their supposed prediction that the world would end on December 21, 2012, it is still absolutely necessary that we attempt to appreciate and preserve the world around us so future generations can have the same memories and experiences as we have had. Here are just a few ways you Sarah Scoop readers can help our planet…
- Major priority is educating yourself about sustainability, conservation, conservation efforts and current and future problems. Education is key in motivating us all to take action. Reading up about issues such as sustainable energy, Bush meat problems, primate and other animal conservation will really shock you!
- Buy organic or ecologically friendly products. We all know that organic food is supposedly the best for you, but that does come at a price. If this is not a feasible option, then perhaps buy one thing that you consume a lot that is ecologically friendly – say coffee or chocolate, for example. Also, ask questions when buying furniture pieces made of wood to make sure it is ecologically friendly.
- Recycle, reuse, and reduce!
- Use less water! Every time you brush your teeth, turn the faucet off while brushing to conserve water supplies. Drink tap water instead of bottled water (Brita filter ad springs to mind!)
- Walk to school/ work if you can instead of driving each day. Simple, but effective.
- Visit areas of the world that have conservation issues – visit their nature reserves and understand just how much money is going into conservation compared to other areas. In regards to this, it is important to be a responsible ecotourist.
- Use less electricity. Turn lights of when you leave a room, run outside instead of a gym membership, rake leaves instead of blowing them etc.
- Vote for environmental issues you believe in. You have the privilege and power of voting for what you believe is right – use it!