Much like our summer wardrobe, we find our taste buds craving something light to beat the summer heat. Great additions to your summer barbeque or girls’ night potluck, these quick and easy recipes will ensure you spend less time in the kitchen and more time with those who matter most. Get your sweet or savoury fix this season with these simple, summer snacks.
This is perfect for those health conscious girls who want a sweet treat without having to sacrifice their summer body.
- 1 can coconut cream (coconut milk can be an alternative), refrigerated overnight
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Granola (any flavour)
- Fruit, dark chocolate chunks, nuts etc (optional)
- Place your mixing bowl and whisk attachments into the freezer for 10 minutes before you start.
- Taking care not to shake the can, remove it from the fridge and cut it open. Scoop its contents into your chilled mixing bowl, leaving behind the excess water at the bottom.
- Whip the hardened coconut cream on high for 2 minutes or until it forms soft peaks.
- Add the honey for sweetness then whip for an additional 2 minutes.
- Take a serving glass and add a generous layer of the coconut cream to the bottom.
- Top with some granola and slices of fresh fruit (I used bananas). Continue layering the three until the glass is full.
- Serve and enjoy!
This classic is always a hit at summer parties. It’s perfectly seasoned with a slight kick to keep it interesting.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- ½ lime or lemon
- Cayenne pepper
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Cut the avocado into quarters and remove the skin before mashing it thoroughly with a fork in a large mixing bowl. (Note: For a chunky guac, dice half the avocado and mash the other half before mixing it together.)
- Add the tomato, onion and pinch each of cayenne, garlic powder, black pepper and salt.
- Finish with the freshly squeezed lime/lemon juice. The citrus acidity helps to balance the richness of the avocado, prevents the guac from turning brown and adds just the right amount of bite.
- Stir all the ingredients together and serve with Tostitos or make chips from toasted whole wheat pita bread for a healthier alternative.
BLT Lettuce Wraps
Light and creamy with a satisfying meaty crunch, these are sure to please bacon lovers and picky eaters alike.
- 4 leaves of lettuce
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked
- 1 tomato sliced
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Black pepper
- Spread mayo generously on each leaf of lettuce.
- Place a strip of bacon on the leaf.
- Top with tomato slices and finish with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy.
Make these easy, fool-proof recipes the highlight of your summer gatherings or treat on a lazy summer day. Don’t forget to finish your delicious spread with these summer salsas and refreshing cocktails.