They can be some of the most frustrating problems to deal with in a home, as well as some of the unhealthiest. The different types of damp and the mold that they’re the perfect environment for are unsightly. They’re damaging to the house. They can be worse for your respiratory system than smoking. That’s why you need to tackle it as quick as you can.
Symptoms of damp
Damp and mold come hand in hand, but they don’t always present in the most obvious of ways. It’s easy to miss signs of mold and damp if they’re not in the most visible of places, after all. Then you might not be able to see the mold or mildew forming on the walls. Other symptoms can be issues with keeping a house warm, a damp or a musty smell, and even the decay of timber parts of the home due to fungi that make their way in thanks to the damp. As soon as you catch one of the symptoms, you need to identify and treat the issues immediately.
Most penetrating damp is caused by a lack of insulation in the home. Failing to find and caulk any gaps in the home. There are a few very regular culprits. Vertical penetrating dampness usually comes from the roof and guttering of the home. A lack of insulation in the roof, missing or cracked tiles that need roof repair, and blocked gutters can be the culprit. Lateral penetrating damp comes when you have interiors of the home that are lower that the exterior ground. A damp proofing survey may be needed to spot how exactly the damp is getting into the bottom of the home. You might think it’s alright to let the basement stay musty and damp, but it won’t necessarily stay down there
Rising damp, on the other hand, is a lot more common in older buildings that don’t have a damp proof course in their base, letting damp seep up through older, more porous masonry. It can also happen where damp proof courses have failed, too. In cases of rising damp, old plaster might need to be removed and replaced entirely.
Getting rid of the mold
If you don’t have to get rid of roofs, floors, and walls, then you can get rid of the unsightly and unhealthy mold that has found its way in the home. Once the source of the damp is dealt with, whether it’s inside or outside the home, you can use soap and a sponge to remove the visible mold. After that, you should use a mold removal kit. To keep the room free from the risk of mold returning, think about putting a dehumidifier in the room. If your clothes or towels keep the damp musty smell or even show signs of mold, then you will simply have to replace them.
The sooner you identify mold and damp, the source, and the solution, the better. They can be solved before they cause too much damage. Let them run free and they can wreak havoc on a home, however.