5 Benefits to Lifting Weights for Women
There is a huge misconception that lifting weights can make you bulky, especially with women. I am here to tell you that is absolutely not the case! Resistance training brings a variety of benefits to your health beyond the physical aspects, no matter your goals!
Whether you are trying to lose weight or tone up, I would highly encourage you to add resistance training into your fitness routine, and here’s why:
1. Increases Strength: Obviously being consistent with resistance training will increase your strength. As a woman, it feels good to be able to take on physical demands that require a bit more strength!
2. Changes body composition: Resistance training burns fat to give you more of a defined look, whereas it is harder to achieve while only doing cardio. So don’t shy away from lifting, because it will help create the feminine shape you are striving for and increase lean muscle mass.
3. Burns more calories: To keep it simple, the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. Muscles need to be fueled (i.e. calories), because they burn through energy. Resistance training is a very effective way of burning fat, so don’t just stick to cardio.
4. Improves overall health: Resistance training and increasing your overall lean muscle mass increases metabolism, gives you stronger bones, and makes you less susceptible to injury.
5. The after burn: Resistance training burns calories throughout your workout, but continues to do so hours after you stop lifting because it increases your metabolism.
So there you have it. Start lifting weights to increase your overall quality of life and to reach your goals!