Rihanna is the Jack of all trades; she’s a record-breaking recording artist, designer, actress (does This is the End count?), and a rebellious fashion icon. Bad gal Ri Ri recently added the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) 2014 Style Icon award to her list of accolades. This award only goes to prestigious individuals whose personal style has a significant impact on the world’s popular culture. She now joins the ranks of Lady Gaga, Iman, Kate Moss and Nicole Kidman.
Along with gawking at the sheer Adam Selman dress that she received the award in, I’d like to look back on my top red carpet moments where the “Diamonds” singer showcased her unique style that makes her more than deserving of this honor.
7. Rihanna doesn’t do girly-girl dresses too often, but when she does, she makes sure it is encompassed in her punk-rock personality. This neon-yellow ruffled Giambattista Vallie gown worn at the 2008 BET Awards goes great with her pixie cut phase. Lovely.
6. Rihanna took floral to a whole new level at the 2009 AMAs in this laser-cut black and pink Marchesa gown. One thing I admire about the “Stay” singer is that she’s a risk taker and continues to keep the entertainment industry on their toes. In this piece, she did just that.
5. In 2009, she strutted down the red carpet in this Dolce and Gabbana tuxedo, accessorized with a bowtie and black leather gloves. These extravagant shoulders added just the right amount of feminine touch to this role-reversal look that I absolutely adored.
4. This one shoulder black lace Stella McCartney gown mirrored a rebellious mermaid with the fire-red side braid. Ri Ri loves showing skin, so the side cheek that was shown in this gown is very modest. This is the definition of a complete look—the hair, shoes, nail polish, and that perfect color lipstick is so fashion forward.
1. The crimson gown that glided down the red carpet at the 2013 Grammys was breathtaking. Shown with long ombre hair and a red lip, Ri Ri did the Alaia gown justice by starring in all the best dressed lists.
These are only a few of our favorite looks, but the list of fashion statements by RiRi can go on and on. We don’t know about you, but we’re excited to see what future red carpet moments Rihanna and her personal stylist Mel Ottenburg put together that will not only be fashionable, but iconic!