Ice cream lovers, mark your calendars for National Ice Cream Sandwich Day on August 2nd! Celebrate life, sugar, and cocktails by combining your love for ice cream and cocktails into this vanilla peach-bourbon ice cream sandwich. The award-winning handcrafted, Four Roses Bourbon, is the flawless touch to the decadent boozy peach mix-creating a deliciously intriguing ice cream treat. Combine your happy hour and dessert with this noted recipe from Marbled, Swirled and Layered by Irvin Lin!
Oatmeal Cookie Ingredients
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulate sugar
- 2 tablespoons mild-flavored honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups thick-cut rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dried blueberries
Vanilla Ice Cream Custard Ingredients
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ pound (or 2 or 3 medium) ripe peaches
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean pod (from custard, above)
- ¼ cup Bourbon (Four Roses Bourbon, recommended by Irvin Lin)
Vanilla Peach-Bourbon Ice Cream Directions
1.Remove the peaches with a slotted spoon and plunge them into the ice water. Let them sit for 10 seconds and then peel the skin off with your fingers
2. Cut peaches in half and discard the pits. Puree the peaches in a food processor or blender.
3. Measure out 1 cup of the puree and place it in a medium saucepan. Add the sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon stick, and the reserved vanilla bean pod.
4. Cook over medium-high heat until the puree starts to boil. Stir constantly for about 8 minutes. The consistency will be like applesauce. Let cool completely.
5. Remove the cinnamon stick and vanilla pod and sir in the bourbon. Pour into an airtight container and freeze overnight.
6. Stir the vanilla into the ice cream custard base. Turn the custard in your ice cream machine according to the instructions.
7. Smear some of the ice cream on the bottom of a container and then add a layer of peach mix-in. Repeat the layers a few more times, with the ice cream on top.
8. Smooth the top of the ice cream and freeze overnight.
SHORTCUT- Skip making the ice-cream and just buy a quart of quality vanilla bean ice cream. Take container out of freezer and let sit on counter for 10-20 minutes. Layer with the peach-bourbon mix-in (same as above). Return to freezer to firm up to assemble the ice cream sandwiches.
At last we’ve come to the most important part!
Ice Cream Sandwich Directions
Place a scoop of ice cream on the bottom of one of the cookies. Place another cookie on top and squish together. Return to freezer for an hour before serving.
We hope you enjoy this recipe by Irvin Lin! Happy National Ice Cream Sandwich day!