Coming Soon…Fall Attractions
Summer’s winding down and it will soon be time to break out the layers. Here are a few autumn flicks to catch when the buzz of summer is fading and you just want to cozy up to some popcorn and soda. Let’s see what fall has to offer in this quick list preview prepared with the help of the Internet Movie Database.
- Set to come out September 7, The Words (2012) is a serious drama featuring Bradley Cooper, Dennis Quaid, Olivia Wilde and Zoe Saladana. This film is highly anticipated one that explores the consequences of a high profile writer who must pay the price for stealing another man’s work. Keep a lookout for The Words, as it might be something to look forward to on a rainy autumn day!
- The Master (2012) is set to release September 14. This drama features two decorated actors, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix. It is a period piece set in the 1950s and follows the relationship between an intellectual known as “master” who spreads his faith across America and a young drifter who becomes his right hand man. This film is on limited release so catch it while you can.
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012) adapted from the best selling novel, this film follows an introverted freshman as he adjusts to his surroundings and new friend, specifically two seniors. A perfect film for fall and new beginnings, expected to hit theaters September 14.
- House at the End of the Street (2012). What quick list wouldn’t be complete without a go to horror flick? Coming into theaters near you September 21, this scream show centers on a mother and her daughter who move into a new neighborhood, little do they know their neighbors next door have a murderous history. Be sure to check out this thriller when the days get shorter and the nights get longer!
- The Looper (2012) The action, sci-fi film of fall! Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and featuring Bruce Willis and Emily Blunt, this dynamic movie is set in the year 2072 around the mob that gets rid of their targets by travelling 30 years into the past. What happens when their hit man is sent to kill himself and close their time “loop”? Find out September 28.
- The Paperboy (2012) Starring Matthew McConaughey, Nicole Kidman, Zac Efron and John Cusack, this thriller opens in early October in limited theaters. From the director of Precious (2009) comes a must see film about a reporter who returns to his hometown to investigate a case involving a death row inmate.
- Seven Psychopaths (2012). This fall comedy features a stacked cast with Colin Farrell at the head and Woody Harrelson, Christopher Walken and Sam Rockwell not far behind. This movie explores the chaos that ensues when a screenwriter (Farrell) becomes entangled in the LA criminal underworld after his friends kidnap a gangsters beloved Shih Tzu. Clear the calendar October 12!
- Middle of Nowhere (2012) is a limited release drama set to come out October 12. This film directed by Ava DuVernay investigates the emotional journey of Ruby, a medical student who drops out to focus on her husband’s well being after he’s sentenced to 8 years in prison. Highly praised and taking home the award for Best Director in the Sundance Festival, this film is a must see. Look forward to what Los Angeles Times calls, “Classic filmmaking of a different sort”.
- Skyfall (2012). Bond is back November 9th! Get your adrenaline pumping with this latest and most anticipated Bond installment. Starring Daniel Craig, check out James’s new obstacles as he sets out to protect 007’s leading lady-M.
10. Anna Karenina (2012). Watch Keira Knightly, Jude Law and Aaron Johnson bring Tolstoy’s classic back to life November 16. Set in the late 19th century Russia aristocracy, this movie follows Karenina’s life-changing affair with Count Vronsky. A powerful adaptation out in selected theaters.
Check out these films of the fall and be sure to tell us what you think! Enjoy Scoopers and look forward to the new season!