How To Find The Perfect Roommate
My first year of college was a mixture of highs and lows. I went from being an only child to living with three other girls in one room! Talk about culture shock. We each had different personalities that clashed with each other at times but by the end of the year I learned a lot and we still remained friends. Whether you are thinking about dorming in college or looking for roommates for your first chic apartment.
1. Sleeping schedule. Finding a person who has a similar sleeping scheduling is a big key. I learned this the hard way. Going to bed at 11:00 when a roomie wants to listen to club music and party all night does not mix.
2. Paying the bills. If your looking to share an apartment with someone to split rent, find someone who is able to pay their share and has a job. This is a very important factor when leasing a place. There is nothing worse then getting stuck with a whole rent that you aren’t able to afford alone.
3. Smoking. Everybody has his or her own preferences when it comes down to smoking. Specify to your roommate if you’re a non-smoker or a smoker. If you’re a smoker explain whether or not you smoke outside or in the apartment. Remember this is where boundaries come in. Make sure your respectful of your roommate’s wishes if she doesn’t want to smell smoke in the apartment.
4. Sharing. I had a roommate that used to eat my popcorn and spray my Vera Wang perfume whenever she pleased. Set up rules. Explain what you don’t mind sharing and what is hands off. Obviously borrowing your Chanel purse to the latest party is off limits
5. Cleanliness. Lets face it. Living with a total slob when your neat is definitely going to be an issue. Let your potential roommate know whether or not you’re organized or a mess.
6. Honesty. Lastly the most important tip to sharing a space is all about being honest and respectful to your roommate. Have an issue? Instead of keeping it bottled inside try talking it out. I promise if you keep these six pieces of advice in mind I guarantee you’ll successfully live with and make a best friend out a roommate.
image from Lipglossculture.com