Photos courtesy of photopin.com
Watching your figure but still craving that carb-loaded pasta? Try this recipe instead!
-1 large spaghetti squash
-1 tsp garlic powder or seasoning of your choice
-1/2 tsp pepper
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 cups lean ground meat (if you’d like)
-2 tbs grated parmesan cheese
-1 cup tomato sauce of choice
1. Microwave the spaghetti squash for 5-10 minutes or until soft. Be sure to pierce the squash with a knife before microwaving to release steam. (Alternatively, you can bake the squash in the oven for 30-45 minutes on 350 degrees if you have the time.)
2. Cut the spaghetti squash into two even halves.
3. Remove the seeds. (If you’d like, you can save them, clean them up, and cook them just like pumpkin seeds later!)
4. With a fork, loosen the “spaghetti” strands from the inside of the squash and scrape them into a bowl.
5. Pick out the seasonings of your choice that you usually enjoy with traditional pasta dishes.
6. Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add in the spaghetti squash “noodles” and the seasonings of your choice into the sauteed pan.
7. Let the squash cook for about 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat. Stir constantly until the squash is tender and the excess moisture has been cooked out.
8. If you’d like to add a meat sauce, use lean ground beef or turkey for a healthy option. Also look for low-calorie spaghetti sauce.
9. Sauté the ground meat and sauce over high heat until the meat is cooked through.
10. Place 1/2 of the spaghetti squash on a plate and top with 1/2 of the meat sauce. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top if you’d like.