And the Oscar Goes to… Popcorn Cupcakes with M&Ms
The Oscars are quickly approaching and it’s time to get ready to snuggle up on the coach and watch one of my favorite awards shows. It’s an awards show that celebrates the best every year and nothing goes better with a show than hot, buttery popcorn. But cupcakes and popcorn? If you’re skeptical, it tastes better than it sounds – sweet and salty. For an added touch of the movie theater, you can display them in a plastic popcorn box or use tinfoil cupcake wrappers. Add your favorite bits of movie candy (M&Ms are my favorite chocolaty choice) in the mix.
Plus, the Oscars goes pretty great with M&M’S® as the candy brand is commemorating the biggest night in Hollywood by debuting a commercial on national TV that shows M&M’S characters invading the movies. M&M’S and movies go together perfectly and are an ideal match for enjoying an award show or movie-watching experience.
Have fun and happy baking!
– 1/2 cup of butter
– 2/3 cup of sugar
– 3 eggs
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/4 cup milk
– 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
– butter cream frosting
-M&M’s (your choice of kind, below are a few favorites)
- M&M’S Milk Chocolate: The classic M&M’S® Milk Chocolate candies have been one of the most loved chocolate treats in the world since 1941. The bite-sized pieces of chocolate in a colorful candy shell are instantly recognizable all over the globe.
- M&M’S Peanut: M&M’S® is passionate about quality peanuts – Only 1 in 100 peanuts is lucky enough to find its way into a bag of M&M’S® Peanut.
- M&M’S Crispy: Back by popular demand, M&M’S® Crispy returned to shelves in January 2015. M&M’s Crispy feature a delectable, crispy center covered in rich, creamy milk chocolate, enclosed in a colorful candy shell. This crispy and delicious treat comes in a new, eye-catching, bright green bag.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare cupcake pan with striped red and white paper liners to look like popcorn bags. If you can’t find mini popcorn bag paper liners, you can always opt for foil liners. They do the trick too.
- In a large bowl, mix the baking powder, butter, and all-purpose flour. Add vanilla extract and sugar. Then the eggs, one at a time. Slowly add milk until just combined. Once the mixture has been whisked into a thick batter, let it settle.
- Add M&M’s for a chocolaty delicious taste. Slowly mix into the batter. The amount you add here is really up to you.
- Fill the cupcake liners about halfway full.
- Bake about 18-22 minutes or until golden brown (use the toothpick trick).
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting with thick butter cream frosting. You can use any kind of frosting you want, but light flavors tend to look better (not to mention taste better) with the popcorn topping.
- Carefully, pile the frosted tops with clusters of popped buttery popcorn kernels.
- If you are feeling creative you can add extra M&M’s on top of the popcorn.
* Makes about 12 cupcakes.
I hope you like this tasty treat. With their colorful candy shells and delicious flavors, M&M’S make any special occasion sweeter. Please share your favorite awards show tips, snacks and traditions, using M&M’S, below!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. However, all opinions are and always will remain mine.