Sometimes when I’m feeling sad, I look to not only my friends and family for support, but also some inspirational movies to make me feel better. I know it seems a little cliché, but guess what? It works! I have compiled a list of the top 10 movies that make me feel better when I am sad. A lot of thought went into these movies, and I hope they work for you, too! The list consists of children’s movies, break up movies, inspirational movies, and, of course, fun, girly movies. I guarantee that these feel good
movies will make you smile in no time.
- Hands down the best feel good movie ever is Forrest Gump. Every single time I watch this movie I can’t help but smile (even though I know all the lines). Anyone who has seen this movie knows that Forrest, despite the obstacles he faces, lives the life that most people dream of. In his life, he married the love of his life, became a football college star, the owner of Bubba Gump Shrimp Company, and a war hero in Vietnam. If that isn’t a successful life, then I don’t know what is.
- 500 Days of Summer is a great break up movie. I watched it after my ex and I broke up. This movie makes you realize that even though, you thought the person you were with was the love of your life, there is probably someone better waiting for you. This movie gives anyone hope, and it is also really funny! Anybody who has been through a break up can relate to this movie.
- This one is more geared towards children, but August Rush is a heartwarming story about an orphan boy who uses music to find his birth parents. August is a music prodigy and was accepted into Julliard at a very young age! August has so much determination that it is moving.
- This is another kid movie, but The Parent Trap is one of my all-time favorites. Anybody whose parents are divorced can relate to this movie. This movie is about twins who meet each other for the first time at summer camp. The best part is they are identical twins. Once they realize they are sisters, they come up with a plan to get their parents back together–the only problem is that their mother lives in England and the father in California. These girls work so hard to make their parents fall in love, that they trade lives and come up with a surprise vacation to bring them together. I used to watch this movie every time I was sick, and it always made feel better.
- Whip It is a great inspirational movie for small town girls who dream of something more. Bliss, who is a bit of a rebel, finds that her mother’s beauty pageants is not something she wants to pursue, and it shows when she shows up to a pageant with blue hair! Bliss joins a roller derby and realizes her true passion in life.
- Any girl who watches The Notebook learns what true love is. These characters have a summer romance, but are soon separated because of their social differences. But their love didn’t end there! They meet again several years later and even though Allie is engaged to another man, she can’t help but fall in love again with Noah. She soon has to make a difficult decision, choosing between Noah and her fiancé. This movie makes you believe in true love.
- Legally Blonde is another really great movie that inspires women to never give up. Elle Woods follows her ex-boyfriend to law school after he dumps her. She starts off not doing so well in school, but then she realizes that law is something she wants to pursue when she becomes one of the top students in her class. Of course, we can’t help but scream “you go girl!” when her ex- boyfriend says he wants her back, but she denies him!
- Under the Tuscan Sun is about a woman who wants to change her life completely after her divorce. She moves to Italy and realizes that she had gotten everything she wanted, but in ways other than what she expected. (And, yes, she does get a new boyfriend at the end of the movie.) This movie shows that starting a new life is not completely impossible and gives hope to those who are forced to start over.
- Anybody who has seen Sleepless in Seattle understands the magic of love when recent widow, Sam, learns to deal with the loss of his wife and takes steps to move on. His son, Jonah, calls a radio talk show to find his father a new partner. When Sam meets Annie for the first time, you can’t help but feel the romance.
- Last but not least, The Artist is a great inspirational story about a silent movie actor who fears that his career is over because of talking pictures. Peppy, a dancer that he meets and falls in love with, encourages him to still continue his career with her. If you haven’t seen this movie, you should because there is a reason why it won 5 Academy Awards. Don’t be discouraged by the fact that this movie is silent. I thought I wouldn’t like it, but I ended up loving the movie.
Hope these movies are just what it takes to make you feel better!