Netflix’s Shadow and Bone, based on the series by Leigh Bardugo, proves to be a standout fantasy drama series. Shadow and Bone sends the audience on a bumpy journey across the world of Ravka and the Fold, introducing you to magical individuals called Grisha and the emerging civil war between them and the Fjerdans.
At the start of the series, the audience follows the character Alina Starkov and her best friend Mal Oretsev. Alina discovers she is the legendary sun summoner, and throughout the series, she learns about her power, her duty, and the dangers that come with it. As Alina garners her strength, other characters seek to manipulate her for their own personal gain.
If you are drawn to a story of love, revenge, secrets, fantasy, or war, this is the series for you. Shadow and Bone will twist your heart in two.
Here is the scoop on the best quotes from Netflix’s Shadow and Bone!
1. “When I got older, I learned that darkness is a place and it’s full of monsters.” -Alina
At the start of episode one, Alina introduces the darkness that lurks in the world of Shadow and Bone.
2. “Now, I’m old enough to know that the only way out is through.” -Alina
From a young age, Alina admits she feels trapped. As she gazes ahead at the path through the Fold, she understands that this route is the one she must take to travel to Ravka.
3. “Well I need someone to take the fall for my petty crimes, that’s all.” – Mal
This sarcastic remark from Mal reveals some of the love Alina and him share. Both of them grew up in an orphanage together, share many hardships and passions, and have always stuck together.
4. “The Fold? Well, of course, certain death pays a million.” -Kaz
Inej introduces Dressen’s deal to her boss, Kaz Brekker. Kaz is unsure of whether his crew should even take on the task. The job is huge and risky: Dressen offers one million kruge for a team to cross the fold and retrieve an ‘artifact’.
5. “I only invest in the one of a kind. She isn’t like you. No one is.” -Kaz
When Inej urges Kaz to hire another girl with the agility and fighting ability as herself, Kaz shoots her down.
6. “If we’re going to survive a roundtrip through the Fold, we’ll need a miracle or two.” -Kaz
Kaz takes Dressen’s job but knows that the journey will be a gamble.
7. “I’ll find my way back to you. Promise.” -Mal
Mal tells Alina that his summoning was not a mistake and that he must cross the Fold in the morning. Before going off to celebrate the rest of the night, he promises to come back to her.
8. “You don’t bring in a Heartrender unless you need an answer out of someone who isn’t willing to talk. That’s how we get this job before anyone else. Bring Dressen a Heartrender.” -Kaz
With a new lead from one of his crew, Kaz discovers his next move to claim Dressen’s risky job.
9. “I’ll go. Put me on the Skiff.” -Alina
Alina devises a plan to burn the charts of East Ravka in order to force the Grisha to bring cartographers across the Fold to redraw the maps. This plan works in her favor as Alina boards the skiff, joining her best friend Mal.
10. “She stays, and we have an exclusive on this job…No businessman worth his salt bargains for what he can take.” -Kaz
When meeting with Dressen, Kaz forces a deal using threat and manipulation. Eventually, Dressen lets Kaz and his crew have first access to the job.
11. “You won’t believe me…it was a sun summoner…Her name is…Alina Starkov.” -Alexei
After the skiff survives the attacks of the volcra, Alexei recounts the events. With persuasion, he reveals that Alina was the one who disintegrated the beasts.
12. “You have until sunrise, then your ship will have sailed, Mr. Brekker. The prize is one million Kruge. Now bring me Alina Starkov.” -Dressen
With that said, Dressen demands Kaz and his crew acquire Alina by the end of the night. Only then will Kaz have the advantage on the prize.
13. “Answer the Question. What are you?” -Kirigan
When questioning Alina about the events on the skiff, General Kirigan makes it quite clear that he is interested in what she is, not who she is.
14. “The other option is…I’ll cave your head in with your own cane and dump you in the harbor. Hmm? That first option seems better now, don’t it?” -Pekka
When Pekka Rollins finds Kaz, he threatens him and demands a claim to Dressen’s job. While making his threat, he uses some descriptive imagery.
15. “I’ve seen the way Kaz looks when he says Pekka’s name. Kaz wants revenge.” -Inej
While speaking to Jesper, Inej describes her observations of Kaz’s obsession to take down Pekka as revenge.
16. “Never make decisions out of fear, Jesper. Only out of spite.” -Kaz
Kaz assures Jesper he will not back down even with Pekka’s intimidation. Instead, Kaz confirms Inej’s suspicion that he seeks revenge on Pekka.
17. “Find this man staying tonight at this address, and kill him for me…Do this and you are free and clear.” -Tante Heleen
Although Inej belongs to Kaz, Tante offers her a deal to be free once and for all. All she has to do is complete Tante’s bidding.
18. “At least now, thanks to General Kirigan, we’re protected. Feared. And that’s how we survive. Not by being overlooked, but by making them look, and knowing you’re powerful.” -Grisha guard
Alina is on her way to Little Palace and has banter with the Grisha guard inside the carriage. Alina repeatedly mentions that she doesn’t want their protection, but the Grisha argue with her saying that General Kirigan’s way is how they are meant to survive.
19. “Is this my life now? Hunted wherever I go?” -Alina
When the carriage is ambushed, Alina is saved by Kirigan. Flustered, she asks him if this constant hunt is now her life. Unfortunately for Alina, she is correct.
20. “You may well be the first of your kind, but we’ve always had a name for you. For what we hope you can do. Enter the Fold. Destroy it from within.” -Kirigan
Kirigan reveals the Ravkan hope for Alina or the sun summoner: to tear down the Fold.
21. “You never make enough to compete with Pekka, you know? He’s a king. You’re just a Bastard of the Barrel.” -Poppy
Kaz approaches Poppy for information, but Poppy insults him by claiming that Pekka is at a whole other level above him.
22. “Don’t. He’s our way to Alina Starkov…It isn’t worth more than what we get with him alive.” -Kaz
Inej is on the verge of murdering the Conductor to free herself from Tante Heleen, but Kaz quickly stops her by announcing that the man is the key to getting across the Fold.
23. “Conductor. I have a job for you. Get us to Little Palace.” -Kaz
After saving him, Kaz demands that the conductor helps them complete a big job: get them across the Fold to Alina.
24. “Inej is yours to lose now. It’s all yours to lose.” -Tante Heleen
Tante Heleen and Kaz come to an agreement, in which Kaz gives her the Crow Club in exchange for Inej’s freedom.
25. “I’m fine, Safe in the little palace. It’s like I blinked and the whole world changed.” -Alina
While writing to Mal from the Little Palace, Alina mentions that her new pampered lifestyle is vastly different from her previous life.
26. “I’m a Tailor. I can fix, but I can also modify.” -Genya
On Alina’s first morning at Little Palace, she meets the tailor Genya Safin. Genya helps Alina get ready for her first appearance to the king.
27. “It’s science. Or rather…small science. We do not conjure from nothing. We manipulate that which already exists around us.” -Kirigan
General Kirigan describes the nature of Grisha to Alina, specifying that Grisha is not magical, but are scientific manipulators.
28. “She will change the future. Starting now…Now call the sun.” -Kirigan
In order to prove that Alina is the sun summoner, General Kirigan vouches for her in front of the royal audience.
29. “Welcome home, Miss Starkov.” -Kirigan
After the king blesses the request for Alina’s training, General Kirigan welcomes Alina to her new life. Now it is clear that Alina is staying in Little Palace for good.
30. “Hope is dangerous. It clouds your judgment. Pray, Scream, do whatever you have to do to push this out of your mind and move on. We all have debts to pay.” -Kaz
Kaz reveals his outlook on life through his conversation with Inej, who was caught looking for clues on her family’s location.
31. “You are not a woman. You are Grisha. Do not speak to me again.” -Matthias
Nina Zenik ridicules Matthias Helvar for the way that he and the Fjerdan men treated her. Then, Matthias expresses his Fjerdan views on Grisha.
32. “I’m dreaming about that Stag again. I know you’d laugh. Tell me it’s just a fable. Then again, so was the sun summoner. And yet, here I am.” -Alina
Alina writes to Mal telling him about her recent dreams of the Stag. Only time will tell to see if this creature truly exists.
33. “Only the Grisha who takes that life can take that creature’s power.” -The Apparat
While in the library, the king’s spiritual advisor gives Alina insight into the Stag creature and its use to magnify a Grishas power.
34. “Everyone believes that you are the one. Come back when you believe it too.” -Baghra
In training with Baghra, Alina lacks confidence in herself and her capabilities. Therefore, Baghra dismisses her and advises her to return when she gains that confidence.
35. “Grab the Damn goat! It’s not bait, it’s for you! I need you to calm down. Huge the goat. Shut the hell up.” -The Conductor
On the train ride across the Fold, Jesper freaks out when the train is swarmed with Volcra. The conductor humorously reveals that the goat was meant for comfort rather than bait.
36. “I’m terrified of failure or success. If I really do have this power, who am I?” -Alina
With another letter to Mal, Alina unveils the truth about how she feels about herself and her new power.
37. “I can’t stop seeing your face that day on the skiff. I don’t think I ever will.” -Mal
Although Mal hasn’t received any return letters from Alina, he continues to write and confide in her.
38. “Please, call me Aleksander.” -Kirigan
Clearly, as an attempt to connect with Alina, General Kirigan requests that she call him by his first name, Aleksander.
39. “So, that went well.” -Jesper
As the crew sits in recovery from their trip across the Fold, Jesper speaks ironically. However, his statement is true. Although their journey was rough and full of setbacks, they were able to make it out alive.
40. “I’d come here, throw a coin. Make a wish in the fountain. Same wish, over and over again, that I could be anyone else.” -Kirigan
At a fountain near Little Palace, Kirigan reveals more of his past of self-loathe in order to grow closer to Alina.
41. “I shall be right by your side. You and I are going to change the world, Alina” -Kirigan
Before leaving the fountain, Kirigan plants a sense of safety between him and Alina. They leave the fountain more connected.
42. “Nina’s been on a priority mission for me and she’s not reported in. If she’s alive, she may need our help.” -Kirigan
Although the audience has met Nina through previous episodes, this is the first they hear about a connection between her and General Kirigan.
43. “I’d rather starve than be a traitor.” -Nina
When Matthias offers her food in exchange for information, Nina shoots his offer down. It is clear that her loyalties lie with the Grisha.
44. “There she is. Welcome.” -Baghra
After Baghra steps on her toes, Alina finally shows some confidence in herself. This self-confidence leads Baghra to believe in her as well.
45. “The coffers are running dry, the noose tightens, and our own people are turning against Grisha, just as their kin once did.” -Kirigan
General Kirigan speaks candidly to Alina about his fears for the civil war within the country against the Grisha.
46. “You are not alone.” -Alina
In a display of unity to General Kirigan, Alina confirms that his vulnerability has harbored a connection between them. They share a tender moment together.
47. “Needing anyone else is weak.” -Baghra
When Alina finds herself missing Mal, Baghra’s words come streaming through her consciousness.
48. “I need you to do something for me. Erase it.” -Alina
After much contemplation, Alina decides to let go of Mal and erase their shared scar on her palm. This marks a new mindset for Alina, as she fully accepts herself as Grisha.
49. “You are my true north. And I can see my way to you now.” -Mal
Although Alina decided to leave the hope of seeing Mal behind, Mal had not. As he catches a glimpse the Stag, Mal sees a way back to Alina.
50. “I like seeing you this way…but…I want you to be careful.” -Genya
Genya watches as Alina adjusts to her new life, but warns her of the dangers of getting too comfortable, insinuating that she is getting too close to General Kirigan.
51. “The carriage doesn’t matter. It’s the horse that makes the difference. The horse determines how far, how fast…and that determines whether you get caught or not.” -Jesper
While Inej questions Jesper’s focus on the mission to capture Alina, he proves her wrong. Jesper gazes at the stableboy tending to horses, hoping to flirt his way into a plausible escape plan.
52. “I’m the one who found the Stag, I should be the one to deliver the news to her. To him. To General Kirigan.” -Mal
After Mal finds the Stag, he begs to deliver the news to General Kirigan. This visit to Kirigan would also permit Mal to visit Alina.
53. “Our futures depend on this.” -Kaz
Kaz plans the heist to grab Alina, the sun summoner and reminds his crew of the stakes attached to the job.
54. “I may have considered throwing myself down the stairs to get out of it once or twice.” -Alina
Before the demonstration, Alina humorously admits to General Kirigan that she is a little nervous about her performance.
55. “I’ve always felt like an outsider. Especially when I first got here. But now I finally feel like I belong. And not that I just belong here, but to something greater…that we can offer Grisha and Ravkans hope for the future.” -Alina
With an open heart, Alina candidly unpacks her feelings about her new status with General Kirigan. It is clear that the two of them have been growing closer.
56. “Not many people surprise me, Miss Starkov.” -Kirigan
Alina leans in and steals a kiss with General Kirigan. This takes their relationship to the next level.
57. “Her name is Alina Starkov. And she will bring liberation to us all.” -Kirigan
This quote is uttered as Kirigan introduces Alina for a sun summoning demonstration.
58. “There is something far greater than armies, something strong enough to topple kings and generals, to crumble nations and birth empires. Faith, Alina.” -The Apparat
After Alina’s display, the Apparat makes an appearance to warn her of the darker side of her role in the grand scheme of Ravka’s future.
59. “I know her. We’re friends. You let me see her…I’ll tell you where the Stag is.” -Mal
Once inside Little Palace, Mal proposes a deal with General Kirigan: to see Alina in exchange for the location of the Stag. Cautiously, General Kirigan tests Mal, but eventually gives in, allowing him to see her.
60. “We cannot let him obtain that kind of power.” -Baghra
Baghra learns that the Stag has been found, but has been taken to General Kirigan. With this warning towards Alina, the audience discovers that there is a situation deeper at play between Kirigan and Baghra.
61. “Child, Aleksander is the Black Heretic.” -Baghra
Baghra reveals Aleksander’s true identity as well as her own, as she is his mother. Then, Baghra urges Alina to flee before she is imprisoned as a token under the Black Heretic’s belt of power.
62. “Unlike a spider, I only need one good leg. However, you look like you need both hands.” -Kaz
While fighting an Inferni Grisha, Kaz wins and makes a cheeky remark.
63. “I’d wager you’d need a skilled tracker to find her now. Pity.” -Baghra
Baghra is confronted by General Kirigan, and through a series of intense banter, she reveals that Alina has fled Little Palace.
64. “You smuggle Grish out of my palace! You help them abandon the war effort.” -Kirigan
While interrogating the Conductor, General Kirigan’s temper rises after he hears countless lies.
65. “I had a spy. Nina Zenik. Ring any bells?” -Kirigan
General Kirigan demonstrates that he is always one step ahead. He reveals that he spied on the Conductor, unbeknownst to the Conductor himself.
66. “Don’t be rash. You stick with us, everybody gets what they want…” -Jesper
Alina meets Kaz and the crew for the first time. Although Alina wants to travel alone, Jesper makes it clear that they need to accompany her.
67. “So there is a brain inside all of that muscle.” -Nina
With the Fjerdan boat shipwrecked, Nina convinces Matthias to stick with her in order for both of them to survive the stormy sea.
68. “I am a witch hunter, and you are a witch. You are my prisoner.” -Matthias
Matthias and Nina arrive at shore, but it is the Fjerdan shoreline. In order to gain control over Nina, Matthias tries to assume leadership. Only time will reveal if his control will last.
69. “Thank you for finding me.” -Alina
Alina and Mal finally cross paths and reunite on their individual escapes from Little Palace. She thanks him for his devotion to finding her, and they share a loving moment.
70. “The job was to pick up a fake for an easy million kruge. We found a living saint who can summon the sun.” -Inej
Inej reveals to Kaz that she was the one who let Alina free and that her decision was driven by her faith.
71. “I’m sorry that it took me this long to see you, Alina. But I see you now.” -Mal
While Alina and Mal hide out in the wilderness, Alina asks him if he is afraid of her. Mal denies it and responds with this quote.
72. “I’d wait until a Healer is close by before you pull this out. Or…you’ll bleed out in 30 seconds.” -Inej
When she strategically places her dagger into the torso of the other Inferni twin, Inej shows off her knowledge and expertise in combat.
73. “We should head north. Find the Stag before he does.” -Alina
After hearing that Mal told General Kirigan information on the Stag’s location, Alina decides that it is a smart idea for them to find the Stag first. If they find the Stag, Alina points out she may be able to utilize its power to destroy the Fold for good.
74. “You are horrible. You’re loud…and you’re lewd…and you’re treacherous. How do I know you’re not messing with my insides and making me feel like I like you?” -Matthias
Matthias and Nina are well on their journey back to civilization when Matthias confesses that he does in fact like her.
75. “No ordinary tracker. No ordinary girl. Orphans of Keramzin. Reunited. Adorable.” -Kirigan
Finally, General Kirigan learns with disdain that Mal and Alina have been reunited and that they are also going after the Stag. This is truly a double stab in the heart for Kirigan.
76. “You made him afraid. Now he wants you to fear him.” -Baghra
In a flashback, Baghra tells Aleksander that his overwhelming display of power is what ignited the king’s war on Grisha.
77. “I have no army to fight yours, so I shall remake yours as my own. Submit to me!” -Aleksander
Looking back in time, the audience watches Aleksander create the Fold in a rampage of fury against the king’s army.
78. “I made something.” -Aleksander
After his mother ridiculed him about how Grisha was meant for ‘making things’, this quote is uttered as Aleksander gazes at his creation: the Fold.
79. “Mal, when we find the Stag. I need to be the one to kill it.” -Alina
While they sit in the northern woods, Alina mentions to Mal that she has to be the one to kill the Stag in order to gain its amplifying power.
80. “You may have the power of light, but not the power to heal. I know the track is important to you. Give me the Stag and I’ll have my healer save him.” -Kirigan
Unexpectedly, Mal, Alina, General Kirigan, and his Grisha soldiers all arrive at the Stag’s grazing grounds at the same time. At the moment, Alina stands between General Kirigan and the Stag, but Mal is dying. Knowing that Alina will save her friend, General Kirigan offers Alina a deal in order for him to take the Stag.
81. “No saint ever watched over me. Not like you have.” -Kaz
Unfortunately, Inej tells Kaz that she must leave his crew, leading Kaz to reflect on their time together.
82. “Do you know the only thing more powerful than you or me? The two of us. Together. Together, we can end all wars. We can protect our own. Is that not what you want?” -Kirigan
After capturing Alina, General Kirigan plans to meld a part of the Stag into Alina’s body and urges her to see a reason to join him.
83. “Now, I control it.” -Kirigan
Through the creation of an amplifier running through both him and Alina, Kirigan takes control of Alina’s sun summoning powers.
84. “I used to struggle. I used to try to fight him off. That never worked in my favor. I waited for years for my chance for revenge.” -Genya
It is revealed that Genya was General Kirigan’s spy, and never sent Alina’s letters to Mal. Genya explains how she lost hope for her freedom over time.
85. “Take away my shadows and I still have something that you don’t. Patience.” -Kirigan
General Kirigan has a threatening and boastful conversation with Mal. With malice, Kirigan explains how Alina will have all the time in the world to forgive him for his crimes, while Mal will simply grow old.
86. “I’m not going to kill you, Mal. I don’t need to. Time will do it for me.” -Kirigan
Mal asks Kirigan if he is going to kill him, and Kirigan wickedly responds with this quote, referring to Mal’s mortality.
87. “We could’ve had this. All of it. You could’ve made me your equal. Instead, you made me this.” -Alina
With this quote, Alina forces General Kirigan to look at the choices he has made. Additionally, she accuses Kirigan of making her his pet with the Stag’s antlers across her collar bones.
88. “If I’m meant to die today and either of you two survive, make sure I have an open casket.” -Jesper
Looking at the Fold once more, Jesper asks a silly and vain request of Kaz and Inej. However, this humorous quote is only a mask for the fear he has of the monsters within the darkness.
89. “We are in the worst place in the world, on a ship full of people who want us dead, surrounded by monsters who want us in their gullets. I should have brought Milo.” -Jesper
At the start of the eighth episode, Jesper expresses his concern for their current position on the skiff.
90. “There must be a place where we’re not just Grisha and Druselle.” -Nina
Suddenly, Matthias announces that he will head north in the night, apart from Nina, but Nina plants the idea of them running away together.
91. “No. Remember who’s driving. Your power is mine now.” -Kirigan
During the Fold demonstration, General Kirigan holds Alina hostage and viciously reminds her of the leash he has put her on.
92. “Why would we destroy the fold? It’s the greatest weapon that we’ve got.” -Kirigan
With greed in his eyes, General Kirigan declares his true intentions to keep the Fold up, rather than destroy it.
93. “You’ve seen what the sun summoner can do. Now bear witness to what I can do…with her power.” -Kirigan
After emerging from the other side of the Fold, General Kirigan continues the demonstration by showing off his capabilities and slaughtering the traitors on the docks.
94. “You may have needed me, but I never needed you.” -Alina
In a vision, Alina learns that she can stab General Kirigan’s medallion, the one that binds the two of them together, to separate from his control. Alina follows through and stabs Kirigan’s hand.
95. “Your first words to me were ‘what are you.’ This is what I am.”-Alina
Finally, Alina is separated from General Kirigan’s manipulation. With newfound confidence, she shows him her strength.
96. “You cannot claim what was not given to you. The Stag chose me.” -Alina
After her display of freedom, Alina explains how she was able to use the Stag as her own amplifier.
97. “I don’t have to kill you, Darkling. Your past will do it for me.” -Mal
When Mal faces off against General Kirigan in the Fold, a volcra attacks Kirigan behind his back, assuringly into his death.
98. “Where you are, whatever you need…my hand is yours.” -Inej
After surviving the Fold and General Kirigan, Inej pledges her honor to Alina, whom she calls a saint.
99. “We set out with a clear mission, a prize of a million kruge, and a new member on our crew. So, what did we learn? People with trains are evil. You can’t kidnap a human sunbeam. And maybe, just maybe…greed is a poor motivator. True wealth is the friends you make along the way.” -Jesper
While Kaz’s crew boards a new ship to Ketterdam, Jesper unpacks the past events of the million kruge quest.
100. “When I’m strong enough, we’ll come back. Together. And tear it down. Now that the darkling is dead.” -Alina
Although she and Mal travel away from the Fold, Alina promises to come back to tear it down. However, despite her beliefs, the darkling still lives.
These fantastic quotes truly capture the essence of Shadow and Bone. Overall, the series harbored my attention, and the story’s twists and turns continued to push me to the edge of my seat. While watching it, I couldn’t help but immerse myself in the world of Ravka.
If you haven’t yet selected Shadow and Bone as the next show on your watchlist, I bet these quotes will convince you to do so. Watch it on Netflix!
Hope you loved these 100 quotes from Shadow and Bone. If you enjoyed this post, make sure to check out these similar articles:
- 100 Best Quotes from Netflix’s Outer Banks
- 100 Best Quotes from Netflix’s Heartstopper
- 100 Best Quotes from Netflix’s Along for the Ride