True to its title, The Sleepover is a delightful flick to brighten up slumber parties. A family comedy packed with adventure, warmth, and goofy mishaps, it’s sure to leave viewers grinning from beginning to end.
Follow the young teen Clancy Finch (Sadie Stanley) and her friends as they embark on a mission to save her abducted parents. Family secrets are revealed, crushes realized, and unforgettable memories are made in this coming-of-age tale. This movie also features a star-studded cast including Malin Åkerman, Ken Marino, and Joe Manganiello.
Here is the scoop on our favorite quotes from The Sleepover!
1. “So, there my grandfather was. Alone, injured, scared, in space.” -Kevin Finch
The film begins with middle schooler Kevin Finch’s presentation at school. Kevin enacts a dramatic telling of his family history, wrought with galactic adventures. His teacher Mrs. Westenfeldt, however, remains unconvinced.
2. “Well, for one thing, it’s the plot of The Martian.” -Mrs. Westenfeldt
3. “She thinks social media‘s where serial killers and college admissions get their information about you.” -Clancy Finch
Kevin’s older sister, Clancy, is a musically talented but insecure high schooler. She harbors a crush on classmate Travis but doesn’t know how to act on her feelings.
4. “You’re eighth graders. You think you should be picking on younger kids?” -Margot Finch
Though lovable and unapologetically himself, Kevin is picked on by his fellow schoolmates. His assertive mother, Margot, intervenes and tells off the bullies.
5. “Dad, you really brought those weird finger things to school?” -Clancy Finch
6. “I have a spare set in the car.” -Ron Finch
Ron, Clancy, and Kevin’s father, arrive to pick them up from school. Clumsy but warm, he is a pastry chef who takes much pride in his work and family. Determined to keep his fingers strong and flexible for baking, Ron is often seen exercising them with little gadgets.
7. “He’s the finger ninja.” -Kevin Finch
8. “Kevin tends to live in his own imaginary little world, which can be great. Except when it comes at the expense of participating in real life.” -Mrs. Westenfeldt
9. “I was a tiger in the carpool line.” -Ron Finch
10. “I’m a total freak.” -Clancy Finch
At home, Clancy gets into an argument with her mom over owning a cellphone and Travis’ party. While Clancy sees her mom as uptight and boring, Margot believes she is protecting her daughter as best as possible.
11. “I know you think I don’t get it, but I was 15 once too.” -Margot Finch
12. “You’re about to quote your dead poet guy.” -Clancy Finch
Attempting to appease Clancy, Margot recites a line from William Butler Yeat’s poem. “There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven’t yet met,” she says.
13. “Feel like if you can quote that by heart, you didn’t go to a lot of parties.” -Mim
Mim is Clancy’s outspoken and sarcastic best friend. She is very supportive of Clancy’s love of playing the cello, frequently encouraging the shy teen to step out of her comfort zone.
Mim’s comedic, snarky comments are a highlight of the film.
14. “Well, I’m not everybody else’s mom.” -Margot Finch
15. “Know what I think? You’re secretly glad your mother never lets you go anywhere or do anything, cause then you don’t have to put yourself out there.” -Mim
16. “Why don’t you go outside into the real world and run around a bit?” -Ron Finch
17. “I’m not allowed to play in unfamiliar frontier settings under supervised.” -Lewis
Later on in the day, Kevin’s friend Lewis arrives for a sleepover. Fretful and tense, Lewis follows every rule established by his doting mother. He has a lot of allergies and thereby does not fend well in many environments.
18. “You know, you two are more alike than you know.” -Ron Finch
At night, when Clancy attempts to sneak out of the house, she is caught by her father. They have a heart-to-heart in the kitchen, and Ron acts as the mediator between his wife and daughter. He tells Clancy that she and Margot have more in common than they think.
19. “Are you gonna kill me with carbs?” -Baxter
Meanwhile, Margot goes to Clancy’s room for reconciliation. But she discovers an empty bed and is soon attacked by two people who have broken into the house. A short fight ensues, as Ron and Margot are quickly subdued.
20. “Your wife is a dangerous woman, Mr. Finch. At least, she used to be.” -Elise
21. “Ninjas just stole your parents!” -Lewis
Ron and Margot’s kidnapping is witnessed by Lewis. He then rushes to inform Clancy and Kevin of the incident. Frazzled, the children begin to realize that Margot’s identity is more complicated than it seems.
22. “Mom has another name than ‘Mom’?” -Kevin Finch
23. “Our mom had a whole different life? What’s her real name?” -Kevin Finch
A man named Henry Gibbs arrives at the house. He reveals himself as a United States Marshal’s Agent, and that Margot has been in the witness protection program for years.
As it turns out, Margot is a former high-end thief. Before meeting Ron, she turned in the crime boss of her syndicate and joined the program. Her real name is Mathilde Tremblay.
24. “My whole life has been a lie.” -Kevin Finch
25. “Baby, you’re tied to a chair with Christmas lights.” -Mim
26. “This is our chance to be heroes in the real world. Not some imaginary world everyone says we live in.” -Kevin Finch
The children are still digesting their new discoveries, but they collectively decide to rescue Ron and Margot as a team. Finding an address etched into their dog’s collar, they set out for the mysterious location.
27. “This night just keeps getting better.” -Clancy Finch
28. “I guess I just never found the right person.” -Leo Bouchot
Elise and Baxter lead the couple to a house in the woods. The owner turns out to be Leo Bouchot, Margot’s ex-fiance in the same crime syndicate. He greets her with a passionate kiss that annoys Ron, who is still in the dark about his wife’s past.
29. “This is a bit of a letdown.” -Kevin Finch
The children find their way to a storage unit, which they initially believe to be just an old place filled with family trinkets.
When Kevin accidentally activates a DNA-recognition protocol in the unit, they realize that it’s a spy center filled with tools and weapons.
30. “I don’t think your mom was a regular smash-and-crash thief.” -Mim
31. “I’m too handsome to die!” -Kevin Finch
32. “Look, we were just a couple of dumb broke kids looking for a bigger life.” -Leo Bouchot
Back at Leo’s house, he begins to reminisce about his old days with Margot and the gang. He tells Ron and the others how talented she was as a thief and the numerous places that they had traveled to over the years.
33. “Mathilde was the best of the best.” -Leo Bouchot
34. “What a fun walk down memory lane, when you both were big fat lying smugglers.” -Ron Finch
Astonished and disappointed with Margot’s dishonesty, Ron begins to grow angry with his wife. He’s also unsettled by the lingering romantic tension between her and Leo.
At the same time, Leo and Margot form a plan to steal the crown from Duramuran’s queen.
35. “Are there, like, things in there that can eat us?” -Mim
36. “Where’s the Christmas spirit in that? It’s just plain extortion.” -Henry Gibbs
37. “Oh, and it’s hot like a Berber carpet.” -Ron Finch
38. “That was bad. That was really bad.” -Mim
While on a boat ride to Boston with the help of Travis, the quartet is forced to swim ashore when coast guards spot their boat. With each other’s help, they manage to get to a pier safely.
39. “My entire life flashed before my eyes back there.” -Lewis
40. “Is your underwear beeping?” -Clancy Finch
41. “But, eh, my friends they call me Frankie Fromage because cheese is so strong and I am strong, like cheese.” -Ron Finch
Ron, Margot, and Leo take on the personas of a bodyguard, count, and countess. They attend an extravagant gala where the crown is located.
Inexperienced with thievery, Ron struggles to stay in character, putting Margot and Leo in a quandary.
42. “My hands are lethal weapons, so watch out for me.”
43. “I don’t know who Dewey is, but his system sucks.” -Mim
Clancy realizes that one of Margot’s clues is not a phone number, but rather a call number for a library book. The quartet then slips into the Boston Athenaeum, finding a portrait of Yeats near the designated book. On the painting is an inconspicuous keyhole, its shape matching that of Margot’s necklace.
Clancy slips it into place, unlocking a hidden passageway behind the library.
44. “Dude, your mom is into some Da Vinci Code stuff.” -Mim
45. “Not doin’ it. Not doin’ the stairs of doom tonight.” -Mim
46. “Or is this the part where the four funky kids go headfirst into the scary, dark unknown?” -Mim
Initially reluctant to enter the passageway, Mim relents when the rest of the group bravely does so. They descend into a dark and wide tunnel.
47. “I don’t want this! I don’t want this adventure!” -Mim
48. “Ah! What is that? Satan?” -Mim
49. “I can’t do half the stuff that you do.” -Clancy Finch
Down in the dusty tunnel, Clancy confides in Mim about her insecurities. She longs to be as brave as her best friend, though Mim insists that she has already outdone herself on this adventure.
50. “You want brave? Mid-thigh is brave.” -Mim
51. “Give me a hug. What are you doing?” -Mim
52. “Oh man, that was a gookie one.” -Kevin Finch
53. “Remember when Kevin drank a glow stick and poison control said to give him milk?” -Ron Finch
Back at the gala, Ron accidentally touches the poison strip on Margot’s palm. Although he appears fine at first, he ends up vomiting due to food poisoning.
Because of his mistake, their original plan to steal the crown is spoiled. The venue’s security is now suspicious of the trio, escorting them away from the party.
54. “You know what? I think…I overreacted.” -Ron Finch
55. “It just looks like somebody’s gross house.” -Mim
The children reach a seemingly abandoned hideout, only for the owner to return and confront them. Upon hearing the name of Mathilde Tremblay, she introduces herself as Jay— Margot’s best friend and former partner-in-crime.
56. “Yeah, we were like sisters.” -Jay
57. “Not like a big deal or anything. We steal stuff all the time, right?” -Kevin Finch
58. “One time, I took two puddings at lunch. I’m a real bad boy.” -Kevin Finch
59. “Scamming tourists, pickpocketing, petty theft, your basic B and E.” -Jay
Jay tells the kids about Margot’s days as a thief, and how they committed all kinds of crimes together without getting caught. She explains that once Margot went into the program, however, they fell out of touch.
60. “Your idea of ‘kid stuff’ is, like, a lot different than ours.” -Mim
61. “My God, the olden days were tragic.” -Mim
Jay finds an old tracking device given by Margot, linked to her GPS chip. With her help, the kids locate Margot and Ron at the gala and set forth to rescue them.
62. “Oof, stay away from the seafood dip.” -Ron Finch
63. “Mm. Ok. I thought it was coming out of both ends.” -Ron Finch
64. “Duran Duran! They said something about the Crown of Duran Duran.” -Lewis
Lewis mentions the crown to Jay, who knows its value and is in awe. Lewis fails to remember the crown’s exact name, mentioning the band Duran Duran instead.
65. “Oh Lord…It’s the holy grail.” -Jay
66. “Your mom and I tried to steal it from the Louvre once. That’s a good bedtime story.” -Jay
67. “But historically correct facts are not important right now.” -Lewis
68. “Not bad. Though I will definitely find you and kill you.” -Jay
Although Jay plans to rescue Margot on her own, Clancy distracts her through conversation. She proceeds to handcuff Jay to a pipe. The children then travel through the ducts to reemerge at a subway station.
69. “Oh, you’re right. It’s the cravat.” -Kevin Finch
70. “You’ll never fit. I’ll do it.” -Lewis
The quartet reaches the Museum of Fine Arts, only to find its front doors locked. Clancy spots an open, barred window, but it is too small for her to pass through. In a rare moment of fearlessness, Lewis volunteers to climb into the building.
71. “Oh. doesn’t your mom have a rule about breaking into buildings at night?” -Clancy Finch
72. “My mom is not here.” -Lewis
73. “Come on. You think we dress like this for kicks?” -Kevin Finch
74. “I can’t play in front of all these people.” -Clancy Finch
Pretending to be a kid for a musical ensemble booked for the gala, the four manage to sneak into the ballroom. To keep up their pretenses, however, they must perform on stage.
Clancy’s hesitancy to play the cello before an audience nearly jeopardizes their covers— until she musters up the courage and performs brilliantly.
75. “We got a mess down here on the stage. Kids in pilgrim shoes.” -Head of Security
76.”I need backup ASAP, please. We got kids in puffy shirts.” -Head of Security
77. “Oh, you two have a secret code now, a secret language.” -Ron Finch
Ron, Margot, and Leo are all tied up by security. Conflict continues to brew as the latter two taps more and more into their former chemistry, and Ron proves a hindrance to the mission.
78. “Uh, cancel that. They’re legit.” -Head of Security
79. “No, I just crushed his windpipe a little.” -Margot Finch
80. “You made me open up a jar of mustard for you last week!” -Ron Finch
To escape, Leo and Margot fight the security guards. Seeing his wife in action for the first time, Ron is left flabbergasted at her capabilities, and all the times she has pretended to need his help.
81. “Is this what Mom does when we’re asleep?” -Kevin Finch
82. “You’re not pathetic, you’re amazing.” -Clancy Finch
83. “Oh, don’t worry, she’s a good guy. Well, kind of a bad guy. She’s a good bad guy.” -Clancy Finch
Before leaving the ballroom, Clancy succeeds in snatching the crown. On the way outside, the group encounters Jay, who shares a sweet albeit short reunion with Margot.
84. “I appreciate you not getting vomit on the Corinthian leather.” -Leo Bouchot
Everyone arrives at Leo’s safe house. The children find themselves amazed by the advanced technologies and chic interiors there. Now extremely jealous, Ron starts to bicker with Leo aimlessly.
85. “There he goes, exposing more flesh.” -Ron Finch
86. “Hey! Don’t call my brother a meatball.” -Clancy Finch
87. “Your moral compass, always getting in the way of us having a good time.” -Leo Bouchot
In a twisted turn of events, Leo reveals himself as the new head of Margot’s former crime syndicate. Instead of going into the witness protection program like his fiance, he had a greater desire for money and success. He also hopes to get back together with Margot, assuming that her current lifestyle is dreary.
88. “You’re right. The spark is still there. And the name’s Margot.” -Margot Finch
Margot is unfazed by Leo’s seduction; she knows her place of belonging is with her family. She reasserts her current name and turns down Leo’s proposal to rekindle their partnership.
Disappointed, Leo has Elise hold the group at gunpoint. He plans to frame them as culprits for stealing the crown.
89. “I’m the one who drives carpool.” -Ron Finch
90. “This is an adrenaline rush for sure.” -Ron Finch
Besting Elise, the group escapes and proceeds to chase Leo down. On the way outside, they encounter Jay, who shares a sweet albeit short reunion with Margot.
91. “You wanna dance with the minivan, man?” -Ron Finch
92. “Why are your fingers so freakishly strong?” -Leo Bouchot
93. “I’m not going to jail. I have lunch duty on Monday.” -Margot Finch
94. “Don’t mess with a pastry chef or his family, ’cause you will get the hammer!” -Kevin Finch
Together with his wife, Ron tackles and defeats Leo. For a second, the crown slips out of their hands, but Clancy manages to catch it deftly. The children, elated with their victories, holler in celebration.
95. “Honey, we are real.” -Margot Finch
Margot reassures Ron that their marriage is very much real. Despite the program, she truly loves being a wife and mother. The two share a tender kiss.
96. “You know, you were kind of a hero tonight.” -Mim
97. “This was literally the craziest night we are ever going to live, and I didn’t post any of it.” -Mim
98. “You tell the most amazing stories.” -Clancy Finch
In the car, Clancy apologizes to her brother. She confesses that her rudeness towards him stems from jealousy: that he possesses the self-confidence and creativity she lacks. Kevin refutes the statement, believing his sister to be of immense talent and strength.
99. “Glad to see you’re not in jail.” -Clancy Finch
100. “Awesome sleepover.” -Lewis
Watch The Sleepover on Netflix now!
If you enjoyed this article on The Sleepover and wish for more movie quotes, check out:
- 100 Best Quotes from Netflix’s The Bubble
- 103 Best Quotes from Netflix’s Senior Year
- 80 Best Quotes from Jurassic World: Dominion