The Japanese animated fantasy film, Spirited Away, was created by the animator Hayao Miyazaki. Hayao not only brought his whimsical imagination to life but also took part as the director in the Oscar-winning film. The Spirited Away quotes are a masterpiece in itself with hidden meanings.
He has created many well-known films under Studio Ghibli including Princess Mononoke, Howl’s Moving Castle, and Castle in the Sky. However, Spirited Away (2001) was his first work of animation that gained worldwide recognition with a worldwide box office gross of $346 million. You can’t deny that Hayao Miyazaki has made Japanese history as one of the best animators.
The movie showcases lovable characters and meaningful quotes by actors in both the English dub and the original Japanese version.
Here are some of the beloved actors in Spirited Away: Miyu Irino (Haku), David Ogden Stiers (Kamaji-English dub), Michael Chiklis (English version, Chihiro’s father), Rumi Hiiragi (as Chihiro), Lauren Holly (Chihiro’s mother), Bob Bergen (No-Face), Takashi Naitô (Chihiro’s Father), John Ratzenberger (Aniyaku English), Susan Egan (Lin), Jason Marsden (Haku, English version), Suzanne Pleshette (Zeniba), and Daveigh Chase (Chihiro, English version).
Summary of Spirited Away
A 10-year-old girl finds herself in the spirit world when her family decides to move to the countryside to a new neighborhood. Along the way, Chihiro’s parents stop to explore an abandoned amusement park. Chihiro doesn’t see anything wrong with the amusement park until she meets a boy named Haku.
The next thing she knows, her parents turn into pigs. Chihiro goes into the spirit realm to work at a chance of saving her parents before it’s too late.
Here is the scoop on some of the best Spirited Away quotes:
1. “You humans always make a mess of things, like your parents who gobbled up the food of the spirits like pigs. They got what they deserved.” -Witch Yubaba
2. “You mean that little black slug? I think I killed it when I stepped on it…” -Chihiro
Chihiro’s ignorance of what the slug represents has to be one of the funniest Spirited Away quotes. She is not informed of the slug’s purpose until Zeniba mentions it.
3. “HA HA HA! My sister put that there so she could control Haku… and you killed it? HA HA HA! But it’s strange…only love can remove the seal.” -Zeniba
When Zeniba comes to the realization that Haku and Chihiro may be more than friends. Zeniba is the complete opposite of Yubaba and takes a liking to Chihiro.
4. “You have to hold your breath while you can cross the bridge. Even the tiniest breath will break the spell, and then everyone will see you.” -Haku
5. “Welcome the rich man, he’s hard for you to miss. His butt keeps getting bigger, so there’s plenty there to kiss!” -Aniyaku
We have to say that this Spirited Away quote got us laughing to help us get through the sad moments of the movie.
6. “Quit whining. It’s fun to move to a new place, it’s an adventure.” -Spirited Away
Chihiro’s parents aren’t pleased by her behavior and lack of open-mindedness. However, as viewers, we can somehow relate to Chihiro’s sudden life changes, especially when we’re young.
7. “The protective seal on my gold charm is gone!” -Zeniba
8. “There must be a mistake. None of these pigs are my parents.” -Chihiro
9. “The Radish Spirit!” -Chihiro
The wold Chihiro finds herself becoming a part of is a resort for spirits. Every spirit in this spiritual realm possesses different motives.
10. “I remember you falling into my river, and I remember your little pink shoe.” -Haku
11. “What are all those stones? They look like little houses.” -Chihiro
12. “You pea-brain. Can’t you even tell me from your own mother.” -Zeniba
13. “A new home and a new school? It is a bit scary.” Chihiro’s Father
14. “No-Face, if you even put one scratch on that girl, you’re in big trouble.” -Lin (Servant of Bath House)
Lin is not afraid to express her protectiveness towards Chihiro with this Spirited Away quote.
15. “Haku! I’ve just remembered something. I think it might help you…when I was little, I dropped my shoe into the river. When I tried to get it back, I fell in. I thought I would drown, but the river carried me to shore. The river’s name was the Kohaku River. I think that was you! And your real name is Kohaku River!” -Chihiro
A favorite quote that triggers Haku’s memories of being the spirit of the Kohaku River. He was able to remember who he was through Chihiro.
16. “We’re identical twins and exact opposites.” -Zeniba (Yubaba’s sister)
Zeniba describes how different her sister is even though they are identical twins. This isn’t the first time that Hayao Miyazaki includes witch characters in his movies.
17. “This is a high-class place I’m running here!” -Yubaba
18. “Aren’t you even going to knock? You’re the most pathetic little girl I’ve ever seen.” -Door Knocker
19. “I finally get a bouquet and it’s a goodbye present. That’s depressing.” -Chihiro
Chihiro’s character elements can only be seen as a genius with her ability to be comedic and sad, especially at the beginning of the film.
20. “Just little pieces. Chihiro kept calling my name in the darkness. I followed her voice and woke up lying here.” -Haku
21. “Chihiro huh? Her real name’s Chihiro? Can’t beat the power of love.” -Kamaji
22. “Don’t talk to me, and address me as Master Haku.” -Haku
23. “So, your name’s Chihiro? What a pretty name! And it belongs to me now.” -Yubaba
Yubaba is known for name stealing and Chihiro is not an exception with this Spirited Away quote.
24. “Tear up Sen’s contract. And then, I want you to return Sen and her mother and father back to the human world.” -Haku
Haku plays the savior role in wanting to return Chihiro (Sen) and her parents back to the human world by making a deal with the witch, Yubaba.
25. “Look, Chihiro. There’s your new school.” -Chihiro’s Father
26. “It’s gonna stink. I liked my old school.” -Chihiro
27. “I’d like to help you, but there’s nothing I can do. It’s one of our rules here. You’ve got to take care of your parents and that dragon boyfriend of yours, on your own.” -Zeniba
28. “Don’t worry, I’ve got four-wheel drive.” -Chihiro’s Father
29. “Don’t worry! You’ve got Daddy here. He’s got credit cards and cash.” -Akio Ogino
30. “For some reason, I can remember Haku…from a long time ago…but I thought I never met him before!” -Chihiro
She recalls during her early years when she almost drowns in the river only to find herself safe onshore. Chihiro doesn’t know that Haku saved her as the river spirit until she begins to connect the dots.
31. “Try to remember as much as you can about your old life.” -Zeniba
32. “You still haven’t noticed that something precious to you has been replaced.” -Haku
33. “Thank the Boiler Man, you idiot.” -Lin
At first, Lin seems to dislike Chihiro and gives her a hard time when it comes to giving her a job at Yubaba’s bathhouse. But her hatred doesn’t seem to last very long and she soon becomes Chihiro’s best friend and ally. This has to be one of the best quotes that show her hard-hitting personality.
34. “Open your mouth and eat this. If you don’t eat food from this world, you’ll disappear.” -Haku
35. “I promise I’ll get you out of here. Just don’t get any fatter or they’ll eat you!” -Chihiro
This is the scene where she spots her parents as pigs in a feeding frenzy and wishes to save them but hasn’t found a way yet.
36. “I’ve known you since you were very small. Good luck, and whatever you do, don’t make a sound.” -Haku
37. “If you make Sen cry, I won’t like you anymore.” -Boh
38. “I knew you were good!” -Chihiro
39. “I don’t need any help, this place is full of soot.” -The Boiler Man
When Chihiro offers to work, so she doesn’t seem as useless as what the resort staff says. But he turns her down and instead receives a magical scene of the soot creatures.
40. “We don’t want her. She’ll stink the whole place up.” -Spirited Away
41. “If you completely forget [Your Name] You’ll never find your way home.” -Haku
Spirited Away movie quotes are bound to make us grab the tissues and this one takes the number one spot. Haku forgets who he is and finds himself trapped in the spiritual realm unable to move on. Chihiro is destined to be the one who helps him remember.
42. “Where’s Sen? What happened? Please, tell me.” -Haku
43. “Yeah, I remember being in the darkness… Then I could hear Sen’s voice calling out my name.” -Haku
Haku mentions the previous history he’s had with Sen and recalls her voice being the key part that he remembers in this Spirited Away quote.
44. “I’m sorry my sister turned your parents into pigs, but there’s nothing I can do. It’s just the way things are. You’ll have to help your parents and Haku by yourself. Use what you remember about them.” -Zeniba
Zeniba basically says that ‘you are the only one to take care of your parents and no one else has the ability to.’ Even though she is the granny that Chihiro never had, her powers are limited.
45. “I can’t believe you pulled it off! You’re such a dope, I was really worried.” -Lin
46. “Let me just suck on the tail please!” Chichiyaku
47. “Play with me or I’ll break your arm.” -Boh
48. “Hands down. You’ll insult our guest.” -Yubaba
49. “I’m not leaving until you give me a job!” -Chihiro
50. “Meet me at the bridge. I’ll take you to your parents.” -Haku
51. “Something you wouldn’t recognize. It’s called love.” -Kamaji
52. “Chihiro, don’t cling like that, you’ll make me trip.” -Yuko Ogino
53. “That’s how Yubaba controls you… by stealing your name.” -Haku
54. “Three days of eating our food, and her smell will go away.” -Haku
55. “I think he needs help! It feels like there’s a thorn in his side!” -Chihiro
56. “I’ve gotta get out of this place. Someday I’m getting on that train.” -Lin
Lin wants to take the train that is on tracks submerged in shallow water to get out of the spirit world.
57. “Use it to tie your hair. It’ll protect you. It is made from the threads your friends wove together.” -Zeniba
58. “A human! You’re in trouble! You’re the one everyone’s been looking for!” -Lin
59. “There aren’t two of him (Haku) here, are there?” -Chihiro Ogino
60. “There. Your body matches your brain.” -Zeniba
61. “Wipe that smile off your face.” -Kaonashi
62. “What did you expect after all that rain?” -Lin
63. “Finish what you start.” -Kamaji
64. “Chow and sleep, you’ll be fine.” -Lin
65. “I was saving this for my parents, but I think you’d better have it.” -Chihiro
66. “That bird is looking for you. You’ve gotta get out of here.” -Haku
67. “You! Where is he? What did you do with my baby?” -Yubaba
68. “Zeniba? Very clever, Haku. I get it. You’ll get my baby back for me, but at a price. So, what do you want?” -Yubaba
69. “Germs! I’ve got germs, see?” -Chihiro
70. “You want to lose your nose?” -Lin
71. “Oh my baby, Are you alright? Are you emotionally traumatized?” -Yubaba
72. “Enough’s enough! I don’t care if he’s rich. This nonsense has gotta stop!” -Yubaba
73. “I’m see-through!” -Chihiro
74. “No! Don’t leave me, I don’t want to be alone!” -Chihiro
75. “Hey, Lin. What’s a foreman?” -Chihiro
76. “Is this what you smell?” -Lin
77. “Those are shrines. Some people believe spirits live in them.” -Chihiro’s Mother
78. “You can’t remember your name?” -Chihiro
79. “No. But for some reason I remember yours.” -Haku
80. “Sen! I’m sorry I called you a dope before… I take it back!” -Lin
One of the last lines portrays the growth of Chihiro and Lin’s friendship.
81. “Come on! Quit eating! Let’s get out of here!” -Chihiro
When her parents find a restaurant at the abandoned amusement park and somehow look past the lack of workers. Chihiro runs to her parents after hearing the warning from Haku. Taking good care of her parents gets pushed under the rug when they decide to ignore her.
82. “Oh, Haku, you’re awake.” -Kamaji
83. “Oh, paper cut.” -Zeniba
84. “Hey, boss. It’s me. I’m hungry. Why don’t you wake everyone up?” -No-Face
85. “Meet me at the bridge. Come alone.” -Haku
86. “It doesn’t look so bad.” -Chihiro’s Mother
87. “It’s a bathhouse.” -Chihiro
88. “Oh, that’s a wonderful place to start. Once you’ve met someone, you never really forget them. It just takes a while for your memories to return.” -Zeniba
Zeniba tells the young girl about her experience with memories. This beautiful line and great metaphor is bittersweet and remind us that Hayao Miyazaki’s films are bound to have a bit of sadness in them.
89. “Once you do something, you never forget. Even if you can’t remember.” -Zeniba
90. “Where did you learn how to spin, No-Face?” -Zeniba
91. “Daddy? Are we lost?” -Chihiro
92. “What’s going on here?” -Lin
93. “And if she doesn’t work hard, roast her, boil her, do whatever you want. Now get back to work!” -Haku
94. “He’s following us.” -Chihiro
95. “A river spirit?” -Chihiro
96. “They filled in that river, it’s all apartments now.” -Chihiro
97. “Try this. It’s delicious. Want some gold? I’m not giving it to anybody else.” -No-Face
98. “I would like to leave, sir; there’s some place I need to go to right away, please. You should go back to where you came from. Yubaba doesn’t want you in the bath house any longer. Where is your home? Don’t you have any friends or family?” -Chihiro
Chihiro is off to a good start when she tries to understand what No-face has gone through. No-Face ends up flustered by her genuine attitude.
99. “No — No — I’m lonely — I’m lonely.” -No-Face
100. “Sen. Sen, what did you do to me?” -No-Face
Hope you enjoyed these memorable quotes from Spirited Away. I think we all wish we could become part of the world Chihiro finds herself in if only for a day. Which Spirited Away quotes are your favorite?
Be sure to watch Spirited Away on HBOMax!
There is news that new releases from Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki are on the horizon. Keep a lookout for Hayao Miyazaki’s next masterpiece, One Final.
For more fun and magical posts, visit these articles: