Have you heard the rumor? Rumor has it that The Sound of Magic is a Korean drama adapted from a webtoon with a musical twist. The show tells the story of an attractive magician living in a small abandoned theme park. Is he the insane criminal that everyone makes him out to be or is he really just a magician? Yoon Ah-yi and Na Il-deung, two local high school students, get involved with the magician and his tricks. When everyone else is against him, the two of them stick by his side.
Here is the scoop on the best quotes from The Sound of Magic!
1. “Do you believe in magic?” – Ri-eul
One of the most reoccurring lines in The Sound of Magic is from the mysterious magician himself, always said right before something… magical happens.
2. “You’re not in a dream this is your imagination.” – The Sound of Music song
What would The Sound of Magic be without singing and dancing? This is a line from the first song featured in this drama with all of the students dancing and singing together throughout the school.
3. “Since when do grades have to do with keeping in shape?” -Kim So-hee
Kim So-hee argues with Na Il-deung that there’s no correlation between keeping in shape and the grades she earns after he points out a sign at the front of the classroom.
4. “I want to dance a dance that’s frightening but also enchanting.” – Yoon Ah-yi
5. “This money is not dirty. What’s dirty is me.” – Yoon Ah-yi
Yoon Ah-yi has an internal moral struggle about the deal she made with her school’s top student Na Il-deung who pays her to throw her test scores and do his work. It’s a ploy for him to help her out and spend time with her. However, Ah-yi can’t help but feel guilty.
6. “Someday in the future will I be happy like in a pretty fairytale… will the smiles wiped out by pain come and hug me?” – Yoon Ah-yi
7. “I wish I could see the love that I’ve been so desperately searching for…” – Yoon Ah-yi
8. “May we be together every single day.” – Yoon Ah-yi
9. “Enduring was the easiest thing to do because I know that I can’t have it.” – Yoon Ah-yi
10. “You came back here because I enchanted you with my magic.” – Ri-eul
Despite turning down the magician’s invitation, Ah-yi continues to find herself back at the amusement park time and time again.
11. “I never knew the word ‘adult’ was so wonderful.” – Yoon Ah-yi
A big part of this show talks about having to grow up and become an adult. Sometimes this means trading all the childhood-like wonder for the title of an adult. Yoon Ah-yi struggles a lot with the amount of responsibility put on her at such a young age.
12. “There are two types of magic. Magic that looks real but is fake, and magic that looks fake but is real.” – Ri-eul
The line between the types of magic always seems to blur when it comes to this mysterious magician.
13. “Just because something is hidden in the dark doesn’t mean that it’s gone.” – Ri-eul
14. “Question everything that you’re used to.” – Ri-eul
15. “Fear is essentially a shadow you grow within yourself.” – Ri-eul
16. “You’re already under my spell.” – Ri-eul
17. “It hurts because you seem so comfortable leaning back into sadness.” – Ri-eul
18. “You would understand me if you were me.” – Yoon Ah-yi & Ri-eul
We could all understand each other more if we could just see things from the other person’s perspective.
19. “Its a good time to be together side by side.” – Na Il-Deung
20. “Even though I don’t know you very well yet you’re a good person to me.” – Na Il-Deung
It’s hard not to root for Il-deung and his feelings for Ah-yi with their shared moments and his passionate song about her.
21. “Oh, all of my nights are full of you.” – Na Il-Deung
22. “Seeing something with your eyes doesn’t always mean its true.” – Ri-eul
It is safe to say no one loves Ah-yi in The Sound of Magic as much as Il-deung does.
23. “Tomorrow was always more exciting than today.” – Ri-eul
24. “The dreams that will blossom again are right here.” – Yoon Ah-yi & Ri-eul
25. “You should do whatever it is you want to do just as much as the things you don’t want to do.” – Ri-eul
26. “But how come you don’t look at me like that?” – Na Il-Deung
27. “Are all the things you have the things you want?” – Ri-eul
28. “Even if I fall asleep at the sweet touch of your hand let me stay here for a while.” – Yoo-yi
Ah-yi’s younger sister Yoo-yi sings this heartfelt song after their father returns for a night and disappears again with the money Ah-yi had been saving to pay off her father’s debts.
29. “Goodnight childhood dreams.” – Yoon Ah-yi
30. “At least you get to smile, even only for that moment.” – Ri-eul
This is your friendly reminder to find something to smile about today, even if for a moment.
31. “I’m not disappointed. I’m just done with expectations.” – Yoon Ah-yi
Sometimes when one expects too much from people they end up disappointed.
32. “Do I have to live my life just to make something of myself?” – Na Il-Deung
Na Il-deung reflects on his purpose and whether life is really defined by the things we achieve and the reputation we build for ourselves.
33. “I hope that my future self won’t be as weak or as naive as I am.” – Yoon Ah-yi
Ah-yi wants to learn from her mistakes like everyone else in this world and become someone her younger self can be proud of.
34. “Goodbye for now until the day we meet again.” – Yoon Ah-yi
35. “I never gave up, and am still living every day, fighting.” – Yoon Ah-yi
Despite her mother abandoning her and her father leaving her in debt to care for herself and her sister, Ah-yi continues to push through life.
36. “You were just comforted by your future self.” – Ri-eul
37. “Who are you really?” – Yoon Ah-yi
38. “I’m a real magician.” – Ri-eul
39. “You pretend to care about people while exposing weaknesses and pretend to cohort them while looking down on them.” – Yoon Ah-yi
In a heated argument, Yoon Ah-Yi goes off on Baek Ha-na for being superficial and pretending to care about her.
40. “So don’t you dare mouth off when you know nothing.” – Yoon Ah-yi
After Baek Ha-na comes to Ah-yi with a chilling video of the magician and suggests Ah-yi may be a victim, Ah-yi makes sure to put her in her place.
41. “It’s not that I believe it. I want to believe it.” – Yoon Ah-yi
42. “I had so many things I wanted to ask, but why does it feel like I’ve already heard the answers?” – Yoon Ah-yi
43. “I never had anyone that understood me anyway.” – Yoon Ah-yi
44. “You know how when we were little, we used to wait for Santa Claus? There were a lot of times I resented him.” – Yoon Ah-yi
45. “I really want to believe that even though it’s a little late, Santa… finally came to me too.” -Yoon Ah-yi
46. “If I’m happy, you suffer, and if you’re happy I suffer.” – Na Il-deung
47. “Well if you’re having such a hard time, you need to take a break, okay?” – Na Il-deung’s dad
48. “But what if… I find something that doesn’t pay well and people don’t respect me for, but it’s meaningful to me?” – Na Il-deung
49. “You can still be happy without the approval of others.” – Na Il-deung
He realizes that happiness is not what makes others happy. but what makes you happy.
50. “Mom. Are you trying to get something out of raising me?” – Na Il-deung
Il-deung’s mom is definitely one of those parents who try to live vicariously through her child.
51. “I’m not giving up on you.” – Na Il-deung’s mom
52. “Don’t you dare think about spending a single minute as you please.” -Na Il-deung’s mom
53. “But after meeting the magician, one question suddenly hit me. Am I driving of my own free will?” – Na Il-deung
54. “I can’t just keep driving forward without knowing where the end is.” – Na Il-deung
Il-deung realizes he can’t keep doing everything his parents want him to do.
55. “What kind of adult did I dream of becoming?” – Na Il-deung
56. “What makes a good adult?” – Na Il-deung
57. “I’ve become a total mess after meeting the magician.” – Na Il-deung
58. “Even if you did see, I’m saying don’t say you did.” – Na Il-deung’s dad
59. “That is what’s called a social stigma.” – Na Il-deung’s dad
Na Il-deung’s father explains to him that people like the magician are set up to fail in society because he’s failed to become someone worthy of authority and respect.
60. “Now I know. No one in the world is crazy. They make you into a crazy person little by little, if you don’t fit society’s standards.” – Yoon Ah-yi
Just because someone doesn’t fit society’s standards doesn’t mean they’re crazy, if anything they’re brave enough to be their true selves.
61. “If you’re a real magician, can you break this curse of the asphalt that I’m under?” – Na Il-deung
If only magicians could take everyone out of their misery.
62. “You have to go hide someplace else.” – Yoon Ah-yi
63. “There was just a little accident.” – Ji-eul
64. “She said she’s not afraid of death, but she doesn’t want to be lonely.” – Ji-eul
65. “You really don’t believe me either?” -Ji-eul
66. “I told you, I have no reason to run.” -Ri-eul
Ri-eul refuses to run when Ah-yi informs him that the police are after him. If he is innocent, what is he running from?
67. “I… just need someone who can tell me that no matter what others say, it’s not important, and someone who believes me.” – Ryu Min-hyuk
At the end of the day, Ri-eul just wants one person to believe in him even if the police find him guilty and everyone else blames him. Ri-eul’s name is also revealed to be Ryu Min-hyuk when the police come to take him away.
68. “Rather than wanting to believe, I want to say I actually believe.” – Yoon Ah-yi
69. “There is a me that knows I can’t fly.” – Yoon Ah-yi
70. “The truth will be uncovered soon.” – Na Il-deung
71. “What if he’s… a really dangerous person?” – Yoon Ah-yi
The big mystery is whether or not Ryu Min-hyuk is behind all of the incidents that have occurred, or if he’s just a magician living in an abandoned amusement park.
72. “What does your heart say?” – Na Il-deung
73. “I’m scared that I might be wrong.” – Yoon Ah-yi
74. “You have me.” – Na Il-deung
Il-deung comforts Ah-yi when she’s in doubt about whether or not to trust the magician. When all the signs are pointing to no, her heart says yes.
75. “He was as pure as a sheet of paper.” – Min Ji-soo
76. “Perhaps he really was an actual magician, considering how the memory of being rejected by my first love is still so beautiful in my mind.” – Min Ji-soo
High school friend Min Ji-soo shares her crush and rejection from her first love Ryu Min-hyuk with Ah-yi and Il-deung.
77. “A brilliant boy from a family of prestigious professors.” – Min Ji-soo
Ji-soo shares Min-hyuk’s past who is much like Il-deung being the top student and coming from a successful family.
78. “That impressive wrapping paper felt like an invisible prison.” – Min Ji-soo
Just like Il-deung, Ryu Min-hyuk became a prisoner to the expectations placed on him by school and his family.
79. “Pretty.” – Ryu Min-hyuk
80. “Min-hyuk back then… was crying out for help.” – Min Ji-soo
Ji-soo shares Min-hyuk’s incident and hospitalization at a mental facility.
81. “He hated and feared becoming an adult.” – Min Ji-soo
Ji-soo shares Min-hyuk’s hatred for adulthood and becoming like all of the miserable adults in his life. He wanted to remain a child and turned to magic.
82. “Like a child that believes in real magic.” – Min Ji-soo
83. “He had no choice.” Yoon Ah-yi
84. “The world became a place people like you can’t live in.” – Yoon Ah-yi
Ah-yi realizes that the world is unfair and cruel to people like the magician who she calls her friend. The world isn’t a place for people like the magician and she sympathizes with him.
85. “I think I kind of understand now.” – Yoon Ah-yi
86. “Mister. I miss you.” – Yoon Ah-yi
87. “Escapology… is my specialty.” Ryu Min-hyuk
Min-hyuk puts his skills on display when he disappears from the police station.
88. “Take him by force.” – Police Officer
89. “Some coincidences are a long wait.” – Yoon Ah-yi
90. “The world once again is on my side.” – Yoon Ah-yi & Ryu Min-hyuk
91. “I’ve grown this much.” – Yoon Ah-yi
With the help of the magician, Ah-yi overcomes challenges and reflects on how much she has grown.
92. “You’re a real magician.” – Yoon Ah-yi
Ah-yi ultimately takes Min-hyuk’s side and chooses to believe in his magical abilities.
93. “You made me really believe in magic.” – Yoon Ah-yi
94. “You dreamt of a magical, perfect crime, didn’t you?!” – Police Officer
95. “I want to try taking the hard way.” – Na Il-deung
96. “Flowers don’t bloom on smooth asphalt.” – Na Il-deung
Il-deung follows a very similar path to the magician and chooses to make himself happy instead of his parents. In the end we see him dropping out of school and the rest is a mystery…
97. “Frozen in time.” – Yoon Ah-yi
98. “I can become a magician for at least one person.” – Yoon Ah-yi
99. “That gives little miracles to people just like you did for me.”
At the end of the show, Ah-yi writes a letter to the magician updating him on how she’s been and thanking him for teaching her how to be true to herself and letting her experience magic. She slips these letters into the magical mailbox in the old amusement park hoping that they reach the person they’re for.
100. “Annarasumanara.” – Ryu Min-hyuk
The Sound of Magic is a great drama that reminisces childhood dreams and encourages viewers to cast aside societal norms and embrace what makes them happy.
If any of these quotes caught your eye make sure to watch Netflix’s The Sound of Magic on Netflix!
Do you believe in magic? Share your favorite magical quote below!
I hope you enjoyed these inspirational quotes, for more K-drama quotes, visit these:
- 60 Best “Business Proposal” K-drama Quotes
- 10 Most Memorable Quotes From “Squid Game”
- 50 Best Quotes from “Crash Landing On You”