Netflix’s Spinning Out has given fans of ice skating and drama a great show to binge on. Following the life of figure skater Kat Baker, the show reveals an insight into the struggles of ice skaters. With realistic depictions of mental health, family issues, and love, Spinning Out captivates viewers until the final second.
Kat is a young skater who has suffered a serious injury that has pushed her back in her skating career. Because of her injury, Kat has to find a new way into the Olympics. Due to her new approach, Kat has to become a pair with rich boy Justin Davis. During Kat’s journey, her struggles with her sister Serena and her family’s history of mental health threaten her success. Along with Kat’s struggles, Justin’s and others’ lives are also explored, showing how all characters are facing troubles.
Because of skating performances, emotional scenes, and amazing scenery, Spinning Out gives viewers a perfect show to obsess over. Here is the scoop on Netflix’s Spinning Out!
1. “It’s so early. If I eat, I’m gonna puke.”- Serena Baker
Serena is 16 years old and is also an ice skater like her older sister Kat. Because Kat was a great skater before her accident, Serena tries to show her talent. Due to Serena and Kat’s mother being unable to take care of her, Kat takes on a mother role.
2. “Can’t hold on to bad habits.”- Carol Baker
Carol is a retired skater and is Kat and Serena’s mother. Because of Carol’s bipolar disorder, she is unable to give her daughter emotional support. And because Carol wants her daughters to be the best, she is obsessed with skating.
3. “If I’m gonna coach, I need to pass this test.”- Kat Baker
Although Kat has faced a major injury, she has not given up on skating. She puts her talent and effort into becoming a skating coach. However, Kat still feels like she needs her old supporters to succeed.
4. “Why are you dressed like you’re gonna rob a 7-Eleven?”- Kat Baker
5. “She usually chickens out at the last second.”- Serena Baker
6. “Do your thing out there.”- Marcus Holmes
Marcus is Kat’s close friend. Because Marcus and Kat work together, their bond is very strong. Although Marcus is close with Kat, he is not a skater. Instead, he is passionate about skiing.
7. “Just saying, maybe it’s time you get out of the way!”- Serena Baker
8. “’Cause her dad’s DNA is going to do her no favors.”- Carol Baker
9. “Talented, hot, and rich.”- Jenn Yu
Kat and Jenn are childhood best friends. Although Kat dislikes Justin Davis, Jenn admires him. Because Jenn is attracted to Justin, she wishes he would give her attention
10. “Stupid women.”- Dasha Fedorova
Dasha is a renowned skater and is Justin’s coach. As Kat failed her senior test, Dasha tells her to partner with Justin. Although Dasha has a tragic past, she channels her emotions into skating.
11. “I’m not a little scared, I’m terrified.”- Kat Baker
Kat tells Dasha why she no longer jumps on the ice. Because of her accident, Kat does not want to hurt herself. Although Kat wants to continue skating, she cannot bring herself to compete again.
12. “I trust no man to throw me five feet in the air going 20 miles an hour.”- Jenn Yu
13. “No more selfies.”- Mitch Saunders
Mitch is Serena’s coach. Because of his Olympian status, he is considered one of the best coaches. Although Serena is a young girl, Kat suspects that Mitch’s relationship with her is wrong.
14. “Your dress is ugly.”- Kat Baker
Although Kat wants to quit, Jenn still makes her feel happy. Because Jenn and Kat are childhood friends, Jenn gives Kat a picture of them when they were little. Despite the circumstances, Jenn and Kat are close friends.
15. “If I hadn’t gotten pregnant with you, I would’ve gone to the Olympics!”- Carol Baker
Due to Carol’s bipolar disorder, she fixates on ice skating. She blames Kat for her inability to pursue her dreams. Because Kat knows Carol’s behavior, she sees that Carol is off her medication.
16. “I keep life simple. Whatever you’re doing seems complicated.”- Marcus Holmes
17. “You know Emily cheats her triple toe. She’s fat.”- Serena Baker
Because of her need to impress her mother, Serena has made skating her life. Instead of being a normal 16-year-old, she is isolated by her desire to be the best.
18. “I caught up on a full season of Stranger Things.”- Jenn Yu
Despite Jenn having a serious hip injury, she still skates. Ice skating is everything for Jenn and her family. Because Jenn wants to make her family proud, she continues to skate through the pain.
19. “You don’t talk much. That’s good.”- Dasha Fedorova
20. “You don’t have to worry about that anymore.”- Kat Baker
After Kat’s boyfriend Dave sees bite marks on Kat’s arm, he is concerned for her. Because of Kate’s mental health, Dave knows how skating affects Kat. Since Kat has turned down Dasha’s offer, she thinks her career in skating is over.
21. “I was a little worried he might turn into some kind of a fruitcake.”- James Davis
Because James is rich, he expects the best for his family. Due to Justin’s partner, Natalie quitting, James tries to convince Kat to be his new partner.
22. “It’ll be out with the old, in with the new any day now.”- Jenn Yu
23. “I think you’re doing this because you’re jealous.”- Serena Baker
Serena feels threatened by Kat’s talent, so she does not take Kat’s advice. Although Kat is trying to warn Serena, Serena does not see a problem with her relationship with Mitch.
24. “I’m not afraid of a challenge.”- Dasha Fedorova
25. “Carol, you cold-hearted minx.”- Jenn Yu
26. “‘Cause, unlike what everybody thinks, I actually do care about skating.”- Justin Davis
Although Justin is seen as a bad boy, he still is dedicated to skating. Because his mother put him in skating, Justin feels connected to her through competing. Due to Kat’s talent, he wants her to be his parent.
27. “You could’ve had a safe life with Dave. That doesn’t mean it would’ve been good.”- Marcus Holmes
28. “Now I’m annoyed that I had to say ‘emote.’”- Justin Davis
After Kat cannot track with Justin and her mom psyching her out, Kat enrolls her and Justin in acting for skating. Because Justin does not care, he makes fun of the activities Kat wants them to do.
29. “I failed.”- Kat Baker
30. “If I didn’t love that man so much, I’d wanna kill him too.”- Mandy Davis
Mandy is James’s second wife. However, she still is loved by James. But, Mandy’s opinion is not always heard. She goes to apologize to Kat after James puts her on the spot.
31. “I’m not the most sensitive guy in the world, but I can pick up on a signal.”- Justin Davis
32. “You can’t leave Rufus.”- Serena Baker
Although Carol has told Kat that she will not have contact with Serena, Serena still shows her love for Kat. Because of the fight that Kat had with her mother, she will not give up her dream. Kat may be separated from Serena but she knows that she will see her.
33. “Yeah, and I’m making tea for Harry and Meghan.”- Carol Baker
34. “Feeling a country song coming along here.”- Justin Davis
35. “Do it for that little girl.”- Jenn Yu
Jenn sees Kat’s talent, so she doesn’t want her to give up. She reminds Kat of the promise they made to each other when they were nine. Despite Kat not seeing her potential, Jenn tells her to do it for her.
36. “This was a mistake.”- Kat Baker
After Kat decides she will partner with Justin, he has a new partner. Because Kat has given everything up for the position, she is angry at Justin. Since Justin did not like Kat’s response to his offer, he does not take Kat as his partner.
37. “I would whack her knee with a bat. Or is that too ‘90s?”- Jenn Yu
38. “I like sharing the wealth.”- Justin Davis
39. “Every day, I wish you didn’t get my brain, but you did.”- Carol Baker
40. “It’s about romance. It’s about tragedy. It is about sex. You know all the good things.”- Dasha Fedorova
Despite Justin and Kat not being close, Dasha wants them to perform Romeo and Juliet. While Justin and Kat want to win Nationals, Kat does not want to form a relationship with Justin.
41. “Like a moth to a flame.”- Marcus Holmes
42. “Then there’s me…a walking disaster.”- Kat Baker
Because Kat cannot do the lift, she is scared Justin is going to leave her. Since Kat knows that Justin is experienced, she wants to be a good pair. However, her fear of falling on the ice stops her from completing the lift.
43. “Your face is a tour.”- Jenn Yu
44. “Some girls actually like it when I lift them in the air.”- Justin Davis
45. “As my coach used to say to me, ‘If you want to do, skate. If you want to don’t, leave.’”- Dasha Fedorova
46. “I’m gonna judge you a lot.”- Marcus Holmes
Due to Kat’s situation, Marcus offers Kat to stay at the restaurant. Since Marcus cares for Kat, he does not want her to go to London.
47. “You and me, Kat, we’re the same…always tripping at the finish line.”- Carol Baker
After Kat threatens Mitch, Carol tells Kat she needs to take her medication. Since Carol understands what Kat is going through, she tries to stop Kat from leaving.
48. “But speaking of, I should probably go before Leah chemically castrates me. Again.”- Gabe Richardson
Gabe is Leah’s new skating partner. While his pairing is new with Leah, he has competed against Justin for some time. Since everyone dislikes Leah, the skaters bond over talking about her.
49. “I’m sorry that Mitch isn’t a pedophile.”- Jenn Yu
50. “What makes you think I want to survive?”- Justin Davis
Although Justin seems like he has it all, he feels empty. Since he has been disappointed by people in his life, Justin does not care about his future.
51. “I didn’t call you a man.”- Kat Baker
52. “Rough translation: the malicious cow disturbs the whole herd.”- Dasha Fedorova
After Kat tries to become Justin’s partner and rejects Marcus, she feels low. While she is at the ice rink, Dasha comes to visit Kat. Because Dasha sees Kat’s potential, she tells Kat she is the right choice.
53. “From what I can tell, he’s got zero middle ground with girls.”- Marcus Holmes
54. “I figure I’m a pretty low notch on a very long bedpost.”- Kat Baker
Although Kat has been with Justin, she tries to forget about their night. Justin is involved with many women, so he tells Kat not to think about it. However, Justin cares deeply for Kat.
55. “And remember, dorogaya… you are in love.”- Justin Baker
56. “People cheat, Kat. People get divorced. It does not make them child molesters.”- Carol Baker
57. “Someone’s hot for teacher.”- Jenn Yu
After Kat asks Jenn to watch after Serena, Jenn sees where Serena’s feelings are. When Serena asks Jenn about a crush, Jenn thinks it is about Mitch.
58. “You have magic there, girl. You deserve to be remembered.”- Dasha Fedorova
59. “Skating’s like…It’s like breathing. I don’t particularly enjoy it but I can’t imagine not doing it. And if I stopped, it’d feel like…like drowning”- Kat Baker
After seeing Marcus ski, Kat and Marcus go on a date. While they are spending time together, Marcus asks why Kat chose skating over London. Since Kat’s world is skating, she tells Marcus that it was worth the risk of staying home.
60. “Very David Bowie.”- Mitch Saunders
61. “I just feel like you’re gaslighting me here.”- Marcus Holmes
Despite Kat not going to Justin’s party after Marcus invited her, Kat says she will watch him ski. Because Marcus has asked Kat out before, he knows that she will not come. Marcus has deep feelings for Kat but knows that they are not reciprocated.
62. “Love is money.”- Justin Davis
63. “Yeah, I bled through my skates for years. I gave it everything I had. The rink was the only place where I felt that I had control.”- Carol Baker
64. “It’s like a peacock ate another peacock and then puked it up.”- Gabe Richardson
65. “We look like we’re getting ready for the Hunger Games tribute parade.”- Justin Davis
66. “I swear, they try to use the police as their own personal bodyguard.”- Alana
67. “You can’t let money, stress, and definitely not Carol ruin your life.”- Jenn Yu
Since Carol has drained Kat’s bank account, Kat does not have a way to pay Mandy back for her costume. Because Kat wants to prove that she does not need her mother, she tries to make her own costume. When Jenn sees Kat stressed before her date with Marcus, she gives Kat some money so she can start to pay Mandy back.
68. “Your toxic male ego is out of control.”- Kat Baker
69. “Limited edition.”-Carol Baker
After Kat’s car breaks down and her phone dies, she is late for her date with Marcus. When she arrives at the bar to meet Marcus, she sees Carol with a thousand-dollar bottle of champagne.
70. “Gloves, crowbar, turn off your phone.”- Jenn Yu
71. “But you have ‘it’ in a way your sister never will.”- Dasha Fedorova
72. “I know what it’s like to be a proud girl with no money.”- Mandy Davis
Because Mandy cares for Kat, she does not let Kat pay the whole price for the costumes. Instead, Mandy takes the seven hundred dollars that Kat gave her. Due to Mandy seeing herself in Kat, she wants Kat to succeed.
73. “This is not Goodfellas.”- Jenn Yu
74. “I’m gonna die alone.”- Kat Baker
75. “I see everything! I know everything!”- Carol Baker
After Serena exposes to Mitch that Carol is bipolar, Carol has an episode. When Kat sees Carol she tries to get away but Carol confronts her.
74. “I’m not going anywhere.”- Mitch Saunders
When Carol was having an episode, Mitch stays until Serena comes home. Although Mitch is there, Serena thinks that he is going to leave.
77. “And keep your pants on.”- Dasha Fedorova
78. “Screw Justin and the STD he rode in on.”- Gabe Richardson
79. “And now my family is looking to me like the baby Jesus.”- Jenn Yu
Although Jenn has an injured hip, she still skates for her family. While Jenn knows that she cannot skate anymore, she does not want to disappoint her family.
80. “Your life is a series of fresh starts.”- Kat Baker
Despite Carol going to get help, Kat does not believe that it will be different. Since Carol does not have a job or insurance, Kat reminds her how she cannot afford anything.
81. “What a waste of my good underwear.”- Jenn Yu
82. “Why don’t you channel all of that determination into slicing some bread?”- Mitch Saunders
83. “All that glitters isn’t gold, Kat, and you’re just a little glitter.”- Carol Baker
84. “You’re a peach.”- Mitch Saunders
After Serena’s dad Reggie comes to town, Mitch feels jealous. Because Mitch cares for Carol, he is threatened by Reggie’s presence.
85. “You got your balls in a twist because I’m dating Justin and not you?”
Kat has stopped taking her pills, which sparks an episode. While at work, she tries to leave early to skate. As Kat goes to leave, Marcus calls her out but Kat fights back.
86. “A piece of advice, when the math doesn’t add up, you got the problem wrong.”- Jenn Yu
87. “You’re a very wise little girl.”- Dasha Fedorova
Since Dasha is scared to get eye surgery, she does not know what to do. Serena also is unsure about whether she wants to live with her mom or dad and is scared.
88. “I wanted to be remembered.”- Kat Baker
89. “You know, even though it’s not as good as Gleah, I think I like Jat better.”- Gabe Richardson
90. “I like getting to know all your sides.”- Justin Davis
91. “Do it and suffer.”- Carol Baker
When Serena’s father comes to town, Serena spends her time with him.
92. “Oh, you know…just smiling through the fear.”- Kat Baker
93. “For 12 years, I’ve considered you my best friend, but I’m realizing I was never yours. No one is because all you care about is you.”- Jenn Yu
Because Jenn has found out about Kat and Justin, she confronts Kat. Since Jenn has always come second to Kat, she feels hurt that Kat would take Justin. Jenn does not want to be friends with Kat because Kat has not been a friend to her.
94. “Lucky me.”- Alana
95. “I just wasn’t even sure you knew how to smile.”- Justin Davis
96. “You are a meatloaf.”- Kat Baker
97. “Skating was my entire life.”- Jenn Yu
After Jenn finds out she cannot skate again, her dreams are shattered. Because Jenn has dedicated her life to skating, she feels lost without it. Although her father wants to find a way for her to skate, Jenn knows she cannot.
98. “She might as well be skating in a bikini.”- Kat Baker
99. “Sounds like you need a drink.”- Justin Davis
100. “I was a young woman who loved Bon Jovi.”- Carol Baker
101. “Just suck it up and deal.”- Kat Baker
102. “I’m in a police station in Idaho, and I’m black. I win.”- Marcus Homles
Because Kat invited strangers into Justin’s room, Justin and Marcus had to fight them off. While they are in the prison, Justin worries about what his father will do. Although they are both in trouble, Marcus reminds Justin
103. “Let us pray. It’s clearly the end of times.”- Jenn Yu
104. “You get warm and fuzzy when you stop acting like a child.”- Dasha Fedorova
105. “Damn you for making a fat lady cry.”-Mandy Davis
106. “You remind me so goddamn much of your mother.”- James Davis
James thought Justin had a party and got arrested, so James kicked him out. However, after Kat told James what happened he apologizes to Justin. James shows his love for Justin and wants to strengthen their relationship.
107. “That’s just a fancy way of saying ‘Carol, you’re not likable enough.’”- Carol Baker
108. “Everyone can have a new chapter.”- Dasha Fedorova
109. “Anyways, they’re only interested because I’m the black guy on the white team.”- Marcus Holmes
110. “I’m the Bionic Woman.”- Jenn Yu
111. “I don’t know if I want to upset that cart of fruit.”-Dasha Fedorova
After Dasha finds her love Tatiana on social media, she is scared to friend her.
112. “To shattered hips and shattered dreams.”- Jenn Yu
113. “It’s just cause…love isn’t always an emotion for people like us. It has to be a decision.”-Carol Baker
114. “‘Cause I meant it.”- Justin Baker
115. “I’m the one that suffers whenever you or Kat goes crazy.”- Serena Baker
Because Kat is trying to compete in Sectionals after an episode, Carol tries to stop her. In order to get Kat to stay, Carol says that she will not go to Sectionals with Serena.
116. “It’s all about the long game.”- Kat Baker
117. “So remember tango is supposed to be sexy, not stressful. No one wants to watch a stressful tango, especially at this silly ice show. When you have fun, they have fun.”- Dasha Fedorova
118. “Okay, Anna Karenina”- Jenn Yu
119. “There is no crying on competition day.”- Dasha Fedorova
120. “I’ve never been able to trust somebody to not let me fall before. Except you.”- Kat Baker
Although many of the main actors of Spinning Out did not perform the stunts on the ice, two-time Olympian skater John Weir showed his talent as Gabe Richardson. Jonathan Van Ness also took the ice as Bruce.
Despite the show only having one season, many viewers instantly fell in love with the drama. Many celebrated the show’s efforts in mentioning mental illness and how it affects people. From the witty characters to emotional moments, Netflix’s Spinning Out has many great quotes.
Hope you love these quotes from Spinning Out!
Make sure to watch this show on Netflix!
If you enjoy these quotes from Spinning Out, check out these articles:
- 100 Best Quotes from Netflix’s Along for the Ride
- 100 Best Quotes From Netflix’s Outer Banks
- 100 Best Quotes from Netflix’s Heartstopper