Hayao Miyazaki’s films set out to explore otherworldly characters and fantasy lands. Miyazaki’s Howl’s Moving Castle is no exception when it comes to a beautifully developed world and whimsical characters. The 2004 film is accompanied by the novel with the same name by Diana Wynne Jones. Alongside Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle is the perfect family animation movie by Studio Ghibli. To cater to an international audience, the film has both Japanese and English versions. Here is the scoop on some of our favorite Howl’s Moving Castle quotes!
1. “So you are going away. Please, Howl. I know I can be of help to you, even though I’m not pretty and all I’m good at is cleaning.” -Young Sophie
Even though Sophie wanted to lift the curse that was placed on her by the Witch of the Waste, she still wants to help Howl break his contract with the fire demon. The beautiful part about this love story between Sophie and Howl is that they both see each other at their worst.
2. “You’re wearing that hat? After all the magic I used to make your dress pretty?”-Howl
Sophie is part of a hat business so it comes as no surprise that she would wear hats, but Howl expresses his feelings with the intention that the hat is hiding her beauty.
3. “Sophie! Sophie! You’re beautiful!” -Howl
When Sophie beats herself down for her looks. Despite the Witch of the Waste’s curse on Sophie, Howl becomes her source of encouragement, even though he has days where he’s not confident in himself. If we were Sophie, I’m sure this Howl’s Moving Castle quote would make us swoon.
4. “When you’re old, all you want to do is stare at the scenery. It’s so strange. I’ve never felt so peaceful before.” -Old Sophie
After Sophie’s initial reactions to the curse in the hat shop, she starts to accept herself and finds it pleasant that even the smallest things bring her peace.
5. “It was a pleasure meeting you, even if you are my least favorite vegetable! Take care, Turniphead!” -Old Sophie
Sophie runs into a scarecrow with a turnip for its head. She can connect with the scarecrow in that they both have a curse cast on them. The Turniphead doesn’t hesitate to help out Sophie when she is in trouble.
6. “The Witch of the Waste and Madame Suliman’s dog at my table? What possessed you to let them in my house?” -Howl
Sophie sets out on a journey to meet the Madame to tell her about Howl, but she ends up bringing Madame’s dog and the Witch of the Waste back to Howl’s castle. Howl blames the fire demon, Calcifer, for allowing them in.
7. ” It’s hideous! You completely ruined my magic potions in the bathroom!” -Howl
The old version of Sophie wants to be helpful during her stay at the castle, so she makes the effort to clean. But Howl gets angry for her cleaning efforts when he comes back and takes a bath.
8. “Well, the nice thing about being old is you’ve got nothing much to lose.” -Old Sophie
Sophie not only turns into an old woman but also starts to think like one. We’re still stunned that Sophie doesn’t further freak out about her appearance.
9. “I didn’t let them in here! Sophie crash landed her plane into my face!” -Calcifer
The best part about Calcifer is his ability to point fingers at others when they do something wrong as if he’s a little kid. Calcifer is a fire demon controlling the castle; however, he is very careful not to upset Howl.
10. “Looks like we have another addition to the family. Hmmm, you’ve got quite a nasty spell on you too, huh? Seems everyone in this family’s got problems.” -Howl
Howl runs into the scarecrow and immediately realizes that everyone seems to have a curse placed on them. Despite their differences, they all learn to coexist with one another. One of the most heartwarming Howl’s Moving Castle quotes.
11. “What a dump. When I think of castles, it’s not what I picture.” -Old Sophie
Sophie is not afraid to express her thoughts towards the appearance of Howl’s castle. Even as viewers, we can agree that Howl’s moving castle is not the castle we all pictured.
12. “Why do you get so cold when you’re old? I’m fatter than ever and yet the wind blows right through me!” -Old Sophie
The old version of Sophie has gained weight, but she comments that her weight should help her against the cold. The wind doesn’t seem to care about her size or age.
13. “Save my room for last, OK?” -Markl
Markl comes back to the castle from the portal and finds Sophie cleaning. He rushes up the stairs to save his room before she can clean it; however, he eventually accepts her presence and allows her to clean the room.
14. “It’s… you’re scaring me. I have this weird feeling you’re going to leave. Howl, tell me what’s going on! Please. I don’t care if you’re a monster.” -Young Sophie
She wants to keep tabs on Howl’s troubles even if he turns into a monster. The scene where Sophie discovers him in the cave is the true test of her love for him.
15. “Fine, like moving the castle isn’t hard enough!” -Calcifer
Calcifer is the ultimate controller of the moving castle, but he is also tied to Howl through a contract. He becomes a little agitated after Howl requests hot water for his bath.
16. “He’s calling the spirits of darkness… I saw him do this once before when a girl dumped him!” -Markl
Markl seems to know all about Howl’s dark side and mentions it to Sophie. Howl’s depression stems from his inability to break his curse.
17. “Knowing you’d be there gave me the courage to show up. That woman terrifies me. I can’t face her on my own. You saved me, Sophie. I was in big trouble back there.” -Howl
Howl has trouble facing Madame Suliman but finds the courage to face her through Sophie. The Madame knows that Howl is in grave danger.
18. “You shouldn’t keep flying around like that. Soon you won’t be able to turn back into a human.” -Calcifer
Every time Howl turns into a bird and travels to different worlds, it becomes harder for him to return to his human form. Calcifer knows everything since he has Howl’s heart. This Howl’s Moving Castle quote shows the harsh reality of Howl’s curse.
19. “It’s all so familiar yet I know I’ve never been here before. I feel so at home.” -Young Sophie
Sophie travels into a different world where she somehow faces the younger version of Howl in a field. His appearance in this world, helps her learn more about Howl and the way to lift the curse.
20. “See that new color on the dial? There’s a new portal. It’s a present for you. Come see.” -Howl
Sophie starts to make an impression on Howl when they first meet and her showing up at the castle. He wants to gift her a world that she will enjoy going to.
21. “Oh, what a pretty fire.” -Witch of the Waste
The Witch of the Waste is brought to Howl’s moving castle and attempts to torture the fire demon. The Witch of the Waste had plans to go after Howl until she became weak. But she discovers that Howl’s heart lies inside the fire and makes an effort to take it.
22. “No, no, no! Don’t do this! Help! Help! Crazy lady with the shovel! If you kick me out that door, the castle could collapse!” -Calcifer
Calcifer yells out when Sophie is about to dump him out of the house. He doesn’t make his presence known right away, but he can’t help but yell out for his and Howl’s sake.
23. “If I give Howl back his heart, what will happen to you?” -Young Sophie
Sophie talks to Calcifer about lifting his contract with Howl. She doesn’t want the fire demon to die after developing a close relationship with him. Calcifer assures her that he will probably be okay when she removes the heart. This Howl’s Moving Castle quote hits everyone in the feels.
24. “She was once quite beautiful, so I decided to pursue her, then I realized she wasn’t, so then, as usual, I ran away.” -Howl
Howl might’ve been a ladies’ man before meeting Sophie. He tells her that the Witch of the Waste use to be beautiful before falling into her trap.
25. “This charm will guarantee your safe return. Don’t worry, I’ll follow behind you in disguise. Now off you go.” -Howl
Howl Pendragon gives Sophie a mission but doesn’t leave without giving her a form of security in case she runs into trouble.
26. “Just say that you’re Pendragon’s mother and that your son is such a cowardly wizard he’s too afraid to show his face. Maybe then Madame Suliman will finally give up on me.” -Howl
Since Sophie has been turned into an old woman, Howl uses that as an advantage in creating a believable excuse for Madame.
27. “That boy is extremely dangerous; his powers are far too great for someone without a heart.” -Madame Suliman
His curse is becoming more powerful and will eventually strip away Howl’s human form. Madame Suliman informs Sophie of the suffering that Howl is going through as a wizard.
28. “What a tacky little hat shop. I’ve never seen such tacky little hats. Yet you are by far the tackiest thing here.” -Witch of the Waste
At the beginning of the movie, the Witch of the Waste makes her mysterious appearance at Sophie’s hat shop during closing time. She goes in there looking for a hat and comes out grinning from the spell she cast on Sophie.
29. “We’ll get you a new one, okay? You saved us, Turnip.” -Young Sophie
To reward Turnip for his saving her, Sophie promises to gift him a new pole to stand upon.
30. “I’m such a big coward, all I do is hide. All of this magic is to keep everybody away. I can’t stand how scared I am.” -Howl
Howl treats Sophie coldly when she enters his castle for the first time. He doesn’t want her involved in his issues and tries to hide away so no one can find him.
31. “Move it, Grandma! Or you’ll lose your nose!” -Markl
Markl offers lightweight moments throughout the movie that we can’t help but be delighted in. He has a different way of protecting the people he cares about. This Howl’s Moving Castle quote has to be the funniest one yet.
32. “Don’t look at me, I don’t have it, I don’t know what you’re talking about.” -Witch of the Waste
The Witch of the Waste steals Howl’s heart from the fire demon and isn’t quick to give it up. However, she realizes that Sophie loves him and eventually gives it up.
33. “That’s so strange, I can’t get Calcifer going!” -Old Sophie
The smoke from the Witch of the Waste’s cigar affects Calcifer. The Witch warns Sophie not to open a window because Sulliman’s henchmen could come in.
34. “I wouldn’t open that window if I were you, dear. Calcifer’s too weak right now to protect this place, Suliman’s henchmen could get in.” -Witch of the Waste
Calcifer is the heart of the moving castle, and the Witch doesn’t seem to care about the fire demon’s state.
35. “Markl, make sure the cleaning lady doesn’t get carried away while I’m gone.” -Howl
Howl accepts Sophie as the cleaning lady, but he tells Markl to make sure that she doesn’t clean up the wrong things.
36. “She almost smothered me! If I die, Howl dies too, I hope you know.” -Calcifer
Calcifer tells Howl about Sophie’s behavior. This Howl’s Moving Castle quote tells us that Calcifer and Howl are connected.
37. “A heart burns like a blue flame.” -Young Sophie
When Sophie sees Howl’s heart for the first time and mentions the bright, blue flame. His heart is still like it was during his childhood.
38. “I’m tired, make some hot water for my bath.” -Howl
After Howl returns from the portal, his mood drastically changes, and he orders Calcifer to start the bath.
39. “Thank you, you have a big heart!” -Young Sophie
Sophie embraces the Witch of the Waste after she gives back Howl’s heart.
40. “I can give you five minutes of invisibility so use it wisely.” -Howl
He never fails to put his wizard powers to use, especially when Sophie needs it.
41. “I’d appreciate it if you wouldn’t torment my friend.” -Howl
When Howl returns from fighting to see Calcifer complaining about Sophie treating him badly.
42. “Wow, Sophie, your hair looks just like starlight. It’s beautiful.” -Howl
43. “Where to? I’ll be your escort for this evening.” -Howl
44. “I’m just setting things up so all of you can live a comfortable life, Sophie.” -Howl
45. “Don’t be alarmed but I’m being followed.” -Howl
46. “They say the best blaze burns brightest when circumstances are at their worst.” -Sophie
47. “I know where I am! I’m in Howl’s childhood!” -Sophie
48. “Sophie! you have sabotaged me! Look at what you’ve done to my hair! look!” -Howl
Sophie cleans the castle and ends up messing with the Howl’s spells. His hair turns orange as a result.
49. “Your head’s like a turnip. I’ve always hated turnips ever since I was little. Well, at least you’re not upside down now. So long.” -Sophie
50. “I’m sure Howl won’t eat the heart of a shriveled old lady like me.” -Sophie
51. “I’m the worst kind of witch ever. The kind that cleans.” -Sophie
52. “Nobody’s safe in a wizard’s house”. -Calcifer
53. “Those wizards are going to regret doing that. They’ll never change back into humans.” -Calcifer
54. “A fire demon. Well, then you should be able to break my curse.” -Sophie
55. “Here’s another curse: may all your bacon burn.” -Calcifer
56. “You who swallowed a falling star, ‘O heartless man, your heart shall soon be mine.” -Howl
57. “But you don’t understand, I love you.” -Sophie
58. “No, I’m not going away. I’m going to help you break this spell that you’re under.” -Sophie
59. “Standing up to the witch of waste- that’s plucky.” -Witch of the Waste
60. “I’m going up to my room now, where I may die.” -Howl
61. “What difference does it make?” -Howl
62. “This isn’t so bad, now, is it? You’re still in good shape and your clothes finally suit you.” -Sophie
63. “It can’t be good for the table.” -Howl
64. “I can’t stand the fire and gunpowder. Those dopey guys have absolutely no manners.” -Calcifer
65. “I wonder what Howl disguised himself as? Surely not a crow. Can’t be a pigeon, he’s too flamboyant for that.” -Sophie
66. “It’s not easy being old.” -Sophie
67. “I give up. I see no point in living if I can’t be beautiful.” -Howl
68. “After the war, they won’t recall they ever were human.” -Howl
69. “Sorry, I’ve had enough of running away, Sophie. Now I’ve got something I want to protect. It’s you.” -Howl
70. “There you are sweetheart, sorry I’m late, I was looking everywhere for you.” -Howl
71. “A heart’s a heavy burden.” -Sophie
72. “One thing you can always count on is that hearts change.” -Prince Justin
73. “A fickle heart is the only constant in the world.” -Diana Wynne Jones
74. “Doors are very powerful things. Things are different on either side of them.” -Diana Wynne Jones
75. “My shining dishonesty will be the salvation of me.” -Diana Wynne Jones
76. “I think we ought to live happily ever after.” -Sophie
77. “Typical! I break my neck trying to get here, and I find you peacefully tidying up!” -Diana Wynne Jones
78. “Interesting things did seem to happen but always to somebody else.” -Sophie
79. “Why did you pretend to run away? To deceive the witch? Not likely! I’m a coward. The only way I can do something this frightening is to tell myself I’m not doing it!” -Howl
80. “So you think you’ve got it bad? I’ve never once been beautiful in my entire life!” -Sophie
81. “I can’t stay. I’ve got to rescue that fool, Sophie.” -Howl
82. “But I brought it on myself by making a bargain some years ago, and I know I shall never be able to love anyone properly now.” -Howl
83. “Howl! I’m sorry, did I come too late? I didn’t mean to make you wait this long. I need you to take me to Calcifer if you can.” -Sophie
84. “But he was so kind to me. He rescued me, Lettie.” -Sophie
85. “Of course he did, he was trying to steal your heart. You were so lucky Sophie, if that wizard were Howl, he would have eaten it.” -Lettie
86. “No, he wouldn’t. Howl only does that to beautiful girls.” -Sophie
87. “I missed you too, Calcifer.” -Sophie
88. “I can’t do this! Why’d you make me come here if you were coming yourself?” -Sophie
89. “All right Calcifer, let’s get cooking.” -Sophie
90. “Do you know what Madame Suliman said? She said that Howl’s heart was stolen by a demon. Tell me now, what do you know?” -Sophie
91. “Whatever you don’t want to clean, better hide it now!” -Sophie
92. “Howl, why is the Witch of the Wastes trying to hunt you down?” -Sophie
93. “I feel terrible, like there’s a weight on my chest.” -Howl
94. “This war is terrible; they bomb from the southern coast to the northern border. It’s all in flames now.” -Howl
95. “It looks like your true love is in love with someone else!” -Witch of the Waste
96. “I don’t cook! I’m a scary and powerful fire demon!” -Calcifer
97. “Of course I am! No one else does any work around here!” -Calcifer
98. “Yeah, I kinds missed you guys, and it looks like it’s gonna rain.” -Calcifer
99. “If I ever get my hands on that witch, I’m going to wring her fat neck! Finish your breakfast.” -Sophie
100. “You must admit I have a right to live in a pigsty if I want.” -Diana Wynne Jones
101. “Yes, you are nosy. You’re dreadfully nosy, horribly bossy, appallingly clean old woman. Control yourself. You’re victimizing us all.” -Diana Wynne Jones
102. “If I give you a hint and tell you it’s a hint, it will be information.” -Diana Wynne Jones
103. “It is quite a risk to spank a wizard for getting hysterical about his hair.” -Diana Wynne Jones, Howl’s Moving Castle
104. “You’ve no right to walk into people’s castles and take their guitars.” -Diana Wynne Jones
105. “I’m delirious. Spots are crawling before my eyes.” -Diana Wynne Jones
106. “I assure you, my friends, I am cone sold stober.” -Diana Wynne Jones
107. “I make those four horses and ten men just to get rid of one old woman. What did you do to the King?” -Diana Wynne Jones
108. “She said ‘Over my dead body!’ so I took her at her word.” -Diana Wynne Jones
109. “I’ll make some hot buttered toast.” -Sophie (Diana Wynne Jones)
110. “Is that all you can do in the face of tragedy?” -Howl (Diana Wynne Jones)
111. “That’s why I love spiders. ‘If at first you don’t succeed, try, try, try again.” -Diana Wynne Jones
112. “Things are going round and round in my head–or maybe my head is going round and round in things.” -Diana Wynne Jones
113. “Look. Survey. Inspect. My hair is ruined! I look like a pan of bacon and eggs!” -Diana Wynne Jones
114. “It’ll be green slime next.” -Diana Wynne Jones
115. “Help me, someone! I’m dying from neglect up here!” -Diana Wynne Jones
116. “I must apologize for trying to bite you so often.” -Diana Wynne Jones
117. “In the normal way, I wouldn’t dream of setting teeth in a fellow countryman.” -Diana Wynne Jones
118. “Are you off to the iceberg today?” -Sophie (Diana Wynne Jones)
119. “If I were to court a girl who lived on an iceberg in the middle of the ocean, sooner or later – probably sooner – I’d look up to see you swooping overhead on a broomstick.” -Diana Wynne Jones
120. “She was remorseless, but she lacked method.” -Diana Wynne Jones
121. “I see Sophie has been busy again. Couldn’t you have restrained her, my friend?” -Howl (Diana Wynne Jones)
122. “Then you must think of a new meaning for your life.” -Howl (Diana Wynne Jones)
123. “You are a terror, aren’t you? Leave this yard alone. I know just where everything is in it, and I won’t be able to find the things I need for my transport spells if you tidy them up.” -Howl (Diana Wynne Jones)
124. “It’s amazing the way one can take a step ten and a half miles long and still always land in a cowpat.” -Diana Wynne Jones
125. “I’ve been wondering all along if you would turn out to be that lovely girl I met on May Day. Why were you scared then?” -Howl (Diana Wynne Jones)
126. “You have no right to make jigsaws of people.” -Diana Wynne Jones
127. “Why should I be annoyed? Someone only filled the castle with rotten aspic, and deafened everyone in Porthaven, and scared Calcifer to a cinder, and broke a few hundred hearts. Why should that annoy me?” -Diana Wynne Jones
128. “Tantrums are seldom about the thing they appear to be about.” -Diana Wynne Jones
129. “And you’ll exploit me.” -Sophie (Diana Wynne Jones)
130. “And then you’ll cut up all my suits to teach me.” -Howl (Diana Wynne Jones)
131. “I have caught an everlasting cold, but luckily I am terribly dishonest. I cling to that.” -Diana Wynne Jones
132. “And you’re too nice.” -Diana Wynne Jones
133. “I was relying on you being too jealous to let that demon near the place.” -Diana Wynne Jones
134. “It would if anyone else broke it.” -Calcifer (Diana Wynne Jones)
135. “Oh confound that gray-and-scarlet suit!” -Sophie (Diana Wynne Jones)
136. “I refuse to believe that I was the one that got caught with it!” -Sophie (Diana Wynne Jones)
137. “But I brought it on myself by making a bargain some years ago, and I know I shall never be able to love anyone properly now.” -Howl (Diana Wynne Jones)
138. “SHE LIKES MY SPARK!!! Calcifer” -Diana Wynne Jones
139. “No! No! That’s wrong! I’m supposed to die!” -Diana Wynne Jones
140. “But I could save you if you’d let me catch you.” -Diana Wynne Jones
141. “Oh, how your ears flap and your long nose twitches.” -Howl (Diana Wynne Jones)
142. “Busy old fool, unruly Sophie.” -Diana Wynne Jones
143. “We can’t all be Mad Hatters.” -Diana Wynne Jones
144. “If you’re thinking of calling on that Mrs. Pentstemmon, you can save yourself the trouble. The old biddy’s dead.” -Diana Wynne Jones
145. “…if the spell was off, I’d have my heart eaten before I could turn around.” -Diana Wynne Jones
146. “Don’t you want your heart eaten?” -Calcifer (Diana Wynne Jones)
147. “Why can’t you cure yourself with a spell?” -Sophie (Diana Wynne Jones)
148. “Because there is no cure for a cold.” Howl (Diana Wynne Jones)
149. “Go to bed, you fool.” -Calcifer (Diana Wynne Jones)
150. “Now trot along indoors, you overactive old thing, and find something else to play with before I get angry. I hate getting angry.” -Diana Wynne Jones
151. “Yes, I was looking for Lettie. They were both very kind to me.” -Diana Wynne Jones
152. “You slither away from anything you don’t like!” -Diana Wynne Jones
153. “Of course you hate getting angry!” -Diana Wynne Jones
154. “But she was alive an hour ago!” -Diana Wynne Jones
155. “If you knew the trouble we’ve had because Howl will keep falling in love like this!” -Diana Wynne Jones
156. “Aunts are terrible. They go for you with hat pins.” -Diana Wynne Jones
157. “See? I can almost reach the hearth.” -Calcifer (Diana Wynne Jones)
158. “I’m not being nosy!” -Sophie (Diana Wynne Jones)
159. “This stuff is going to put me out!” -Calcifer (Diana Wynne Jones)
160. “Stop it at once! You are behaving just like a baby!” -Diana Wynne Jones
161. “I don’t think I’m evil.” -Calcifer (Diana Wynne Jones)
162. “He’s only interested until the girl falls in love with him. Then he can’t be bothered with her.” -Diana Wynne Jones
163. “At least, I suppose I can’t blame Calcifer, since he’s an evil demon.” -Diana Wynne Jones
164. “Yes, my heart. There was a scarecrow at the door!” -Sophie (Diana Wynne Jones)
165. “You haven’t got a heart.” -Sophie (Diana Wynne Jones)
166. “What has a scarecrow to do with your heart?” -Calcifer (Diana Wynne Jones)
167. “Can I reduce the speed of the castle now?” -Calcifer (Diana Wynne Jones)
168. “Down in the glowing part under the logs. And don’t call me young. I’m a good million years older than you are!” -Calcifer (Diana Wynne Jones)
169. “Apply your fiendish mind to the matter.” -Howl (Diana Wynne Jones)
170. “Be daffodils in June, you beastly things!” -Diana Wynne Jones
171. “I don’t know, Your Majesty. He’s a mess.” -Diana Wynne Jones
172. “Calcifer agreed to speed up the castle because of a scarecrow?” -Howl (Diana Wynne Jones)
173. “But her eyes were blue and full of anxieties, and her hair was darkish.” -Diana Wynne Jones
174. “I was born to strange sights. Things invisible to see… I know where all past years are, and who cleft the Devil’s foot.” -Diana Wynne Jones
175. “That’s magic I admire, using something that exists anyway and turning it around into a curse.” -Diana Wynne Jones
Hayao Miyazaki’s Studio Ghibli collection is available on HBO Max! He is truly the animator that can piece together magical worlds while inspiring others with his beautiful messages. We hope you found these quotes to be as magnificent as we did!
What are your favorite Howl’s Moving Castle quotes? Comment them below!
For more fun articles, visit these:
- Top 55 Best Anime Male Characters
- 20 Memorable Quotes from God’s Not Dead
- Top 15 Most Memorable Quotes From Squid Game