Alice in Borderland is a 2020 Japanese Netflix thriller that not only makes you wonder about the true nature of people but very well carries similarities to the Korean show, Squid Game. However. Alice in Borderland only seemed to gain popularity after the release of Squid Game. The chilling Netflix show is based on the manga by Haro Aso.
The memorable series takes place in Tokyo where Arisu (Kento Yamazaki) and his two friends look to escape their troubled lives. But they soon encounter an alternate universe that forces them to play games based on playing cards. It looks like it may be too late for them to return to their normal lives. Here is the scoop on the best Alice in Borderland quotes!
1. “Is it weird that I’m getting excited.” -Arisu
Arisu and his two friends spend all day searching for people in the alternate universe, but they don’t find a soul in sight, which seems like a breath of fresh air for them with the problems they use to face every day. However, Karube thinks that this world is more than meets the eye.
2. “Face reality and rack your brains, that is if you don’t want to die.” -Shibuki
Shibuki is one of the first characters that Arisu and his friends meet in the game area. She already seems to have a familiarity with the guidelines of the games, which prevents Arisu, Chota, and Karube from going in blind.
3. “I know you can do it, you’re my friend after all!” -Karube
This Alice in Borderland quote shows how inseparable Karube and Arisu’s friendship has become. Karube is confident in Arisu’s gaming skills and knows that he’s the only one capable of surviving.
4. “I’m the only one who’s useless. I’m just dead weight to you guys.” -Chota
The first game, “Dead or Alive,” sets the bar for the gruesome death games that follow. Despite Arisu’s skillful abilities, Chota finds himself gravely injured and unable to play the next games, at least the physical kind. He knows that he can’t help his friends.
5. “To gain something, you need to lose something.” -Chishiya
A character that barely portrays any emotions but still impacts everyone. Chishiya has to be one of the most dangerous characters as he tends to hide his true intentions. Chishiya makes a move that could’ve cost Arisu’s life. Did you know that his character is based on the Cheshire cat from Alice in Wonderland?
6. “You just keep turning your back on your past, but I will face my past once more in order to survive!” -Kuina
Near the end of the series, Kuina fights as the game steadily wipes out all of the people at the Beach. She reveals her painful background and finds it in herself to face her past head on.
7. “You guys are all I have. If someone has to survive this game, it’s not me.” -Arisu
The most emotional episode in the whole series has us both angry and shocked for Arisu as he learns the true meaning of life and friendship.
8. “Left to our own devices, humans will rape, steal, and kill each other. That’s just who we really are.” -Niragi
Niragi makes his harsh introduction when Arisu and Usagi appear at the Beach. We realize earlier on before he goes on his shooting spree that Niragi could care less about anyone.
9. “There’s a limit to our lives. I’ve lived my life so far without thinking about that.” -Arisu
Arisu is a skilled gamer that only dedicates his time to games and his friends. At first, he disregards the thoughts and comments from his family about him but soon realizes that life is precious.
10. “It’s better to get used to the game while we still have time to spare.” -Karube
When Karube suggests that Arisu and he play a game without Chota. Knowing that Arisu may have other thoughts, Karube convinces him that playing games before their visa expires can help them learn more about the games.
11. “Beginner’s will only get in our way.” -Karube
As Arisu and Karube prepare to play the second game, one of the players asks Arisu to explain the disappearance of millions of people. Karube immediately shuts down Arisu attempting to explain the whole situation.
12. “The mark on a trump card signifies the game’s genre.” -Nitobe
Thanks to Nitobe, Arisu and Karube have more knowledge of the chilling games.
13. “Everyone looks like they’re about to die, as usual.” -Chishiya
This quote from Alice and Borderland signifies that Chishiya is used to the violence associated with the games. He also seems less afraid of the games.
14. “His field of vision is narrowed by the mask!” -Arisu
We know that Arisu is a little more observant than other players as he tries to help others survive during the games.
15. “It’s a good idea, but no one will respond.” -Chishiya
When Arisu suggests that everyone should announce the tagger’s location, so people can have a better chance at survival.
16. “This person… were they also made to participate in the game?” -Karube
This Alice in Borderland quote shows us the complexity of the games as well as the lack of empathy of the creator. People can easily betray each other when they have nothing to lose.
17. “Your body is saying it wants to live.” -Usagi
Usagi realizes that Arisu is dealing with his friends’ deaths and tries to help him get back onto his feet again after having to go through a similar experience herself.
18. “I didn’t want everyone to die.” -Arisu
Usagi feels the same in that she doesn’t want others to die regardless of the type of game they end up playing.
19. “Death to the traitors.” -Chishiya
One of the major rules of staying at the Beach. Arisu learns the hard way when he discovers a pile of bodies.
20. “How will you live in this world that is full of despair?” -Chishiya
Chishiya is curious about Arisu’s will to live after being the only survivor of his first betrayal game.
21. “If that is not possible, I want Usagi to return, at the very least.” -Arisu
His connection with Usagi helps him change his perspective of life. He hopes that everyone can return to the normal world but knows that may not be possible.
22. “You dissection maniac.” -Niragi
Every word that comes out of Niragi’s mouth is a comment of disgust, and we begin to realize that his character is the ultimate nightmare. He says this line when the former forensic scientist tries to figure out Hatter’s death.
23. “This unfair treatment ends today!” -Niragi
Niragi only cares for himself despite being a part of a group of militants at the Beach. After Hatter’s death, he forces everyone to vote on the new leader of the Beach.
24. “There’s no way the cards would be kept in an ordinary safe.” -Chishiya
Chishiya plans on escaping the Beach with the collection of cards. But he has to use people in order for his plan to work.
25. “Burn him, I have no need for useless people.” -Aguni
When one of the militant members admits that he’s not willing to go on a massive killing spree. Aguni is fueled by hatred and revenge for the Beach becoming the place that makes Hatter go crazy.
26. “Hurry up and shoot.” -Niragi
We realize that a hierarchy exists even in the group of militants.
27. “Live your life to the fullest.” -Karube
Despite Karube’s terrible decision making, he offers words of advice to Arisu.
28. “Live your life for me, got it?” -Chota
On the brink of death, Chota tells Arisu to keep living as he knows that he’s the only one that can survive the games.
29. “This is seriously the worst rule ever.” -Arisu
It comes down to the last game as he thinks of the creator of the game’s intention.
30. “Heart games are utterly wicked.” -Arisu
Even though no one can avoid heart games, Arisu discovers that these games are bound to play mind games with you. You’d think that the number of heart cards collected by people at the Beach, they would know that heart games aren’t as straightforward as they appear to be.
Alice in Borderland is a chilling thriller that is bound to be one that we will watch over and over again, especially after finding out about the release of season 2 this year! I hope you enjoyed these awesome Alice in Borderland quotes!
Watch on Netflix now!
For more entertainment quotes, visit these: