The incredible Netflix series Bridgerton took the world by storm and now fans are excited for the newly released season 2! Bridgerton appeals to audiences for so many reasons. From powerful performances and stunning costumes to amazing Bridgerton quotes this show is a crowd-pleaser.
The series follows the story of the Bridgerton family and the eight siblings as they navigate life in Regency-era London. Complete with romance, betrayal, passion, and gossip, this delightful drama gives fans everything they want!
Here is the scoop on the best Bridgerton quotes!
1. “You do not know me, and rest assured, you never shall.” -Lady Whistledown
London high society is full of scandal and gossip, and nobody knows more than mysterious author Lady Whistledown. While her identity is concealed, she knows everything about everyone, and is not afraid to publish secrets.
The Regency-era gossip columnist has London residents hanging on her every word for the latest drama in town. Lady Whistledown is also the beloved narrator of the show itself, so audiences adore her as well.
In addition to her beautiful writing and delivery, audiences and Londoners alike are intrigues by the constant mystery: Who is Lady Whistledown?
2. “You have no idea what it is to be a woman, what it might feel like to have one’s entire life reduced to a single moment.” -Daphne Bridgerton
During an argument with her brother, Daphne tries to get Anthony to understand her perspective. She emphasizes the importance of her social season and that she must marry.
Also, she tries to get Anthony to understand her perspective, even though he’s known nothing but freedom all of his life.
3. “I burn for you.” -Daphne Bridgerton
This is one of the best Bridgerton quotes ever! While some fans credit this line to Simon, it is actually Daphne who says this iconic Bridgerton quote. On their wedding night, Daphne and Simon finally admit their true feelings for each other.
Daphne points out that Simon is acting angry and upset. The Duke replies, “Yes, that is what happens when one burns for someone who does not feel the same.”
Upon learning how much Simon cares for her, Daphne admits her feelings for Simon, “I burn for you.”
4. “If you desire the sun and the moon all you have to do is go out and shoot at the sky. Some of us cannot.” -Eloise Bridgerton
Eloise Bridgerton is the second-oldest Bridgerton daughter. She grows up watching her older sister Daphne appear perfect in every way.
Unfortunately for Eloise, she feels stifled by her role in life as a daughter who must marry rich and settle down. She wants nothing more than to go out into the world and write, go to school, and make her own path.
While talking to her older brother Benedict, who has the freedom she desires, she laments society’s view of women. Benedict worries about pursuing an art career, but Eloise points out that he has the freedom to do anything he wants!
5. “We will all need to find love one day. Indeed, a love as pure as what Mama and Papa once shared, if we are so fortunate.” -Daphne Bridgerton
After Daphne’s wildly successful presentation to the queen, she and her sisters are talking about how popular she will be this season. While her sisters tease her, Daphne points out that her reputation can influence the rest of the family’s.
She also mentions that she and her sisters will all have to marry one day, so hopefully they can marry for love just like their parents.
6. “All is fair in love and war.” -Lady Whistledown
Lady Whistledown writes this iconic lines in one of her many printed works. The phrase perfectly encapsulates the anguish and heartbreak that so many characters go through in the season while on their quest for love.
7. “To meet a beautiful woman is one thing, but to meet your best friend in the most beautiful of women is something entirely apart.” -Simon Basset
When Simon and Daphne first begin their relationship, they are actually lying to everyone. Both of them are tired of the pressure to find a partner, so they pretend to date each other.
As luck would have it, Simon and Daphne become close friends and eventually fall in love with each other. Simon tells the Queen about their relationship and gushes about how lucky he is to love his best friend.
8. “You must ask yourself, are you merely an older brother? Or are you the man of this house?” -Violet Bridgerton
Violet Bridgerton argues with her son Anthony, about taking care of their family. She accuses him of being too involved in Daphne’s affairs, to the point where she will not be able to find a suitor.
Anthony complains that his mother does not understand the responsibility that he bears as the lord of the house. With all of her maternal wisdom, Violet points out everything that her late-husband would have done to help the family. She also reveals to Anthony that she knows of his mistress.
This powerful scene reveals that Violet Bridgerton is much stronger than she appears, and also that Anthony has more flaws than he lets on.
9. “Be it shame or slander, seduction or smear, there is but one thing that humbles even the most highly-regarded members of our dear ton…a scandal!” -Lady Whistledown
After arguing with his mother, Anthony breaks off his relationship with his mistress, Siena. He realizes that if he is to take his role as Lord Bridgerton seriously, he cannot have a relationship with someone he won’t marry.
He ends his relationship to avoid potential drama, and Lady Whistledown is proven correct. People in high-society will do anything to prevent a scandal.
10. “You wish to follow your heart and I wish to nurture my mind. Let us leave it there.” -Eloise Bridgerton
Eloise will never be very much like her perfect sister Daphne, but that’s fine with her. When the two sisters argue about their differences Eloise simply accepts that she and Daphne will never be alike.
The sisters decide to simply exist, without forcing each other to change.
11. “I will help you overcome this stammer of yours. But in exchange you must promise me that when you step into the light, you will be worthy of the attention you command.” -Lady Danbury
When Lady Danbury first meets Simon, he is a young boy with a severe stutter. His speech impediment has made him a disappointment in his father’s eyes, so Lady Danbury pledges to help Simon overcome it.
As Simon grows up he becomes a powerful, well-spoken Duke. His transformation can be credited to his bond with Lady Danbury and the fact that she nurtured him when his father would not.
12. “Am I honestly to believe you do not already know my name?” -Simon Basset
When Daphne first meets Simon Basset, he is anything but charming. She accidentally bumps into him at a party, and when she tries to make conversation he assumes that she did it on purpose just to get his attention.
Simon is so arrogant that he cannot see the fact that their meeting is a genuine accident. Daphne understandably is not fond of the Duke after their first encounter.
13. “How does a lady come to be with child? I thought one needed to be married. Apparently, it’s not even a requirement!” -Eloise Bridgerton
When Eloise learns that an unmarried woman is pregnant, she is fascinated. She wants to learn how women become pregnant so that she can avoid the same fate.
Eloise asks her mother how a woman becomes pregnant, confused about it happening without marriage, but she does not get an answer.
While this scene is funny, it also illustrates just how much women did not know about their own bodies in the 1800’s.
14. “If this is to work, we must appear madly in love.” -Simon Basset
When Simon and Daphne first hatch their plan to pretend they are dating, they make their fake-debut as a couple at a ball. The couple dances together, and Simon instructs Daphne on how to behave.
While neither character knows yet, the audience senses that these two may actually find love.
15. “We shall do what women do. We shall talk.” -Violet Bridgerton
Violet Bridgerton learns of a scandal that will get Daphne out of marrying Nigel Berbrooke. She wants Londoners to learn of the news, so that a disgraced Berbrooke will leave town.
Daphne worries that Berbrooke will simply deny the gossip and that nobody will believe them because they are just women. Her mother assures that if they gossip enough and spread the news around town, Lady Featherington will surely publish the news and everyone will believe it.
Thankfully, their plan is a success! Violet reveals her intelligence through one of the best Bridgerton quotes.
16. “Daphne! You must make haste!” -Eloise Bridgerton
When the Bridgerton family is getting ready to leave for an event, they are all still waiting for the oldest sister Daphne to get ready. Instead of going to get her sister, Eloise stands at the bottom of the grand staircase and shouts up to her sister.
Anyone who has siblings will be able to relate to this funny moment. There is always one sibling who takes a long time to get ready, and there is always another sibling yelling for them to, “Hurry up!”
This hilarious scene gives us one of the best Bridgerton quotes and shows that no matter the time period, siblings will always behave like siblings.
17. “It reminds me of waking up in the country, first thing in the morning when I am all alone. I have not yet spoken to a soul. I look outside the window and it is serene. As if I could be the only person left in the world and yet, somehow I am not lonely.” -Daphne Bridgerton
Daphne tells this to Simon while they are admiring an old painting that was a favorite of Simon’s mother’s. He says that he can’t understand why she loved it so much.
Daphne gases at the peaceful painting and explains what she loves about it. As Daphne talks, she and Simon’s hands drift closer to one another and they hold hands.
This is the first scene where audiences can really tell that both Daphne and Simon are developing feelings for each other.
18. “Her heart is no matter, as long as her hand remains free.” -Queen Charlotte
Even though Simon and Daphne are seemingly a very serious item, Queen Charlotte wanter her nephew Prince Friedrich to marry Daphne instead. Friedrich points out that Daphne’s heart appears to be spoken for.
The Queen replies, “Her heart is no matter, as long as her hand remains free. You are a prince. Charm her.” This scene reveals Charlotte’s determination to always be in control.
19. “Why must our only options be to squawk and settle or to never leave the nest? What if I want to fly?” -Eloise Bridgerton
Eloise is a keen observer of societal rules in regency-era London. She complains that as a lady, she only has the choice to marry or become a spinster.
Eloise certainly marches to the best of her own drum, and she would much rather go to school and make her own way in the world.
20. “I shall always be the woman you may love in darkness, but never in the light of day. You have made me promises before and I, like a fool, believed them. I cannot be your fool again.” -Siena Rosso
After breaking her heart, Anthony tells Siena that he wants her back. However, this time Siena stands up for herself.
She knows that since she is not a proper lady, Anthony will never marry her, no matter what he promises. Siena does not give in to Anthony’s pleas and instead moves on with her life.
21. “I know we could not be any more different, but there is one thing we do share: The certainty that you will make your own way in this world. I’m sure of it, Eloise.” -Daphne Bridgerton
As Daphne leaves her childhood home after her marriage to Simon, she bids farewell to her siblings. Daphne and Eloise share a sweet goodbye.
The two sisters are very different people, but they share a great deal of love for one another.
22. “That reminds me, you have such a unique accent, and yet I’ve never asked where in France you’re from.” -Marina Thompson
The Featherington’s have run an excessive credit with Madame Genevieve Delacroix. Unfortunately for her, when she tries to refuse Lady Featherington and Marina service until they pay for their previous dresses, Marina subtly reveals that she knows Madame Delacroix’s biggest secret: She’s not really French.
Marina even works her own fluent French into their conversation, and in order to save face Madame Delacroix has no choice but to comply and make Marina’s dress.
23. “The ones we love have the power to inflict the greatest scars, for what thing is more fragile than the human heart?” -Lady Whistledown
Many of Lady Whistledown’s best quotes are striking, dramatic, and often revealing town gossip. This line however, is painful and true for everyone.
When we show someone our heart, we are trusting them not to break it. This makes things all the more painful when they actually do break it. Being brave enough to love someone leaves people very vulnerable.
There are many Lady Whistledown quotes that ring true with their readers, but this one is one of the best Bridgerton quotes ever!
24. “I risk my life everyday for love. You have no idea what it is like to be in a room with someone you cannot live without, and yet still feel as though you are oceans apart. -Sir Henry Granville
Sir Henry Granville explains to Benedict Bridgerton that he is in love with Lord Wetherby, and that his marriage to Lady Granville is not romantic, but mutually beneficial.
Benedict initially does not understand Henry’s actions, but Granville shares just how much courage it takes for him and Lord Wetherby to be together.
This conversation with Sir Granville inspires Benedict to follow his heart and pursue a relationship with Genevieve Delacroix.
25. “In the top drawer of my desk you shall find the name of a lady. If I die, you must ensure she is provided for. Do you swear?” -Anthony Bridgerton
After Anthony challenges Simon to a duel, he brings Benedict Bridgerton to take his place at the head of the family if Anthony dies. Right before the duel, Anthony tasks Benedict with one more request.
In the event of Anthony’s death, he still wants Siena to be taken care of. Even if he dies, Anthony wants the woman he loves to be happy.
26. “Pride, your grace, it’ll cost you everything and leave you with nothing. You must not allow it to happen to you too.” Lady Danbury
Lady Danbury knows that Simon and Daphne plan to separate after their ball, but she also knows how much they love each other. Hoping to save Simon from this heartbreak, she does something that she knows will resonate with him.
Lady Danbury compares Simon to his father. By saying, “You must not allow it to happen to you too” she reminds Simon of how proud his father was, and how cruel and unhappy he was as a result.
This life lesson from someone Simon respects is enough to get him to reconsider his life with Daphne.
27. “We chose to love each other, every single day. It is a choice, dearest. One that is never too late to make.” -Violet Bridgerton
Violet Bridgerton delivers this motherly wisdom to Daphne in one of the most emotional scene of the series. Daphne wishes that she and Simon could be happy together, but she fears their marriage is over for good.
Violet shares that she and her late husband made the decision to love each other above all else in their marriage. Now that her husband is gone, she takes comfort knowing how true their love was.
28. “Just because something is not perfect, does not make it any less worthy of love.” -Daphne Bridgerton
Daphne reveals to Simon that she read the letters he wrote to his father as a small child, informing him of his progress working on his stutter. She tells Simon, “Just because something is not perfect, does not make it any less worthy of love. Your father made you believe otherwise.”
Not only is Daphne telling Simon that as a child, he still deserved love, but she is also talking about their marriage. It is clearly not perfect, but it still deserves love.
29. “Perhaps I will come forward, one day. Though you must know, dear reader, that decision shall be left entirely up to me. Yours truly, Lady Whistledown.” –Lady Whistledown
Lady Whistledown signs her last paper of the season teasing readers that one day she will reveal herself. It is during this time that audiences also watch Eloise figure out Whistledown’s real identity.
Lady Whistledown is none other than Eloise’s dear friend, Penelope Featherington!
30. “I believe it must begin with the letter ‘A.’ We do have family traditions, do we not?” -Simon Basset
At the end of Season 1, Simon and Daphne welcome their first child, a baby boy. Daphne mentions that they now have to name their son.
Simon reveals his change of heart over having children, by deciding that they must name their first child something that starts with ‘A’ to keep up the Bridgerton tradition. It is a very sweet scene where we finally see the couple happy and ready for parenthood.
31. “Losing races to strange women in parks at dawn, imagine the questions I would face.” -Anthony
32. “I take issue with any man who views women merely as chattels and breeding stock.” -Kate
33. “It would seem both of us will have our hands full this year.” -Dowager
34. “No, she just wears her hair too tight.” -Penelope
35. “Color, clarity, carat, cut. At long last, the queen has named her most precious stone.” -Lady Whistledown
36. “Every rose has its thorn, after all.” -Anthony
37. “Or should I say, hatching my plans? No, even better. I was sharpening my knives for all of you.” -Lady Whistledown
38. “Oh, I do relish a challenge.” -Lady Danbury
39. “Love is the last thing I desire. But if my children are to be of good stock, then their mother must be of impeccable quality.” -Anthony
40. “The sister is dreadful.” -Suitor
41. “When you are invisible, you have all the amusement you want without any of the expectations popularity brings. It frees you.” -Penelope
42. “Have you found a wife yet? Or are you planning on offending every young girl until there are none left?” -Benedict
43. “This is the first chapter of a happy story.” -Kate
44. “If one of you utters a single word…let’s get this over with.” -Eloise
45. “Dearest Gentle Reader, did you miss me?” -Lady Whistledown
46. “So many flowers when what I truly seek is a gem.” -Queen Charlotte
47. “Are the ladies of London so easily won by a pleasing smile and nothing more?” -Kate
48. “I thought you ladies were taught to dance.” -Anthony
49. “That must be why Cressida is so cruel.” -Eloise
50. “Is the entire practice of naming a diamond, not, well, rather ridiculous? Should a woman not be valued for so much more than her dancing skills or her comportment? Should we not value a woman instead for her candor, her character, her true accomplishments?” -Lady Whistledown
51. “I despise English tea.” -Kate
52. “I do not need feelings. What I need is what I have and that is a list. Tolerable, dutiful, suitable enough hips for childbearing, and at least half a brain.” -Anthony
53. “I am not here to find a husband for myself, only for my sister, who, indeed, stands quite tall and smiles rather exquisitely.” -Kate
54. “Your character is as sufficient as your horsemanship.” -Kate
55. “I am not Daphne.” -Eloise
56. “You will end up alone with such expectations.” -Dowager
57. “There is nothing on Earth quite so envied as a diamond.” -Lady Whistledown
58. “It’s much too soon for that. The real work begins now.” -Lady Danbury
59. “We have come to London to find Edwina a husband.” -Kate
60. “There is nothing quite like the sweet-scented smell of success. It’s clear the season won’t be quite so fragrant for everyone.” -Lady Whistledown
61. “Words of flattery are beautiful and sweet. But they are also hollow, unless accompanied by action.” -Anthony Bridgerton
62. “Of course, the only competition that compels my attention to the game of courtship. So best of luck to this year’s players. Do try not to stumble on the starting line.” -Lady Whistledown
63. “I shall be the very picture of amiability.” -Kate
64. “Oh Pen! Oh, you are finally here. With only my own family to speak to, I’ve begun talking to trees.” -Eloise
65. “Nothing less for a true love match.” -Queen Charlotte
66. “Another? You’re overcounting.” -Benedict
67. “Have you always been so vulgar, or has staring at naked models all turned your brain to charcoal?” -Anthony
68. “Tell me, are my musings not offering you sufficient business?” -Penelope Featherington
69. “Is she calling me wooden?” -Colin
70. “If there is truly to be a proposal before the week is out, Anthony will need all the help he can get.” -Daphne
71. “We all know the great lengths a young lady will go in pursuit of a proposal. And apparently, she will travel great distances too. Lord Anthony Bridgerton appears to be inching ever so closer to selecting his viscountess, and to that end has invited our diamond to join him for an excursion at his ancestral home, Aubrey Hall.” -Lady Whistledown
72. “It is a very powerful thing to meet someone and feel that you know them. In a way unlike any other.” -Lady Mary
73. “You are the bane of my existence. And the object of all my desires. Night and day, I dream of you.” -Lord Anthony
74. “It is not a man’s appearance or title that will woo you. It is his mind and spirit that will court yours. He will speak in a manner that only your heart can hear. That is what you are looking for.” -Kate
75. “Or she simply left for the country, as the rest of us did in the off-season, bored by the lack of any real gossip. You do know what that would make her then? One of us.” -Queen Charlotte
76. “What is it, truly, to admire a woman? To look at her and feel inspiration. To delight in her beauty. So much so that all your defenses crumble, that you would willingly take on any pain, any burden for her.” -Benedict
77. “The sister. She’s rather thorny, I take it?” -Benedict
78. “The world is not exactly welcoming to an unmarried woman. There seems to be no place in society for us, except at the edge of things.” -Kate
79. “You cannot show someone your best without allowing them to see your worst.” -Lord Edmund
80. “We are not all guaranteed a fairy tale ending.” -Marina Thompson
81. “All this time, I thought I needed your help getting him to fall in love with me. But I have realized what I need is your help getting him to fall in love with you.” -Edwina Sharma
82. “Oh, I do hope so. It’ll be a boon to have another intelligent woman in the house.” -Eloise Bridgerton
83. “Perhaps you might put forth false rumors so that when Whistledown prints them, we will be able to trace the origins.” -Queen Charlotte
84. “Tell me, dear brother, once you marry, will your duty finally be fulfilled so you can stop reminding everyone of it?” -Benedict
85. “Most marriages of the ton are, in fact, mere matters of business, my dear. Matters that have been working for centuries. It is the true love match that is quite rare.” -Lady Danbury
86. “It is a convincing theory, ma’am.” -Lady Danbury
87. “Nothing ever rattles you, does it?” -Lord Anthony
88. “I yearn for someone fresh, someone unexpected, to turn this season on its head. That is what we need. There is no room for indifference. Apathy is a blight the monarchy simply cannot endure.” -Queen Charlotte
89. “Ah. Spoken with such feeling too.” -Benedict
90. “It is not too late. You could say I collapsed. That I got something unmentionable on my gown. All the feathers affected my senses. Anything, Mama, to get me out of doing this.” -Eloise
91. “He will be assessing me, I know. Considering how I might perform as viscountess.” -Edwina
92. “Indeed. We should all pass the week with open minds.” -Lady Danbury
93. “You will charm him with some assistance. You will need a new dress or two, appear rather more tempting.” -Lady Portia
94. “Hate is probably too strong of a word.” -Kate
95. “Can you really not see anything engaging about him?” -Edwina
96.”I could call him worse.” -Eloise
97. “The frenzy of competition. The thrilling delight of hazarding your all. I am referring not to the lure of London’s luxurious gaming halls, but to a gamble with far higher stakes. Matrimony. For once that particular wager is placed, it cannot easily be undone. A fact which, I am sure, is met with both regret and sheer relief.” -Lady Whistledown
98. “Perhaps Lady Whistledown will report that I have been entrusted with our diamond’s wedding ensemble.” -Genevieve Delacroix
99. “Indeed. But why should there be limits to a woman’s ambitions? I would think you, of all people, would understand. There is always more to be achieved.” -Genevieve
100. “Yes, that is why I thought of it.” -Queen Charlotte
101. “I know I am imperfect. But I will humble myself before you because I cannot imagine my life without you, and that is why I wish to marry you.” -Anthony
102. “Love moves swiftly, does it not?” -Edwina
103. “I have faced a thousand tomorrows but they have all been leading to this one.” -Edwina
104. “She’s too busy reading to notice anything else, as usual.” -Colin
105. “The one thing a lady would never do is wear something she knows makes her look ugly.” -Madame Delacroix
106. “You cannot be here. This is my place of refuge.” -Kate
107. “Be unafraid to follow your heart after doing the exact opposite for far too long. You have spent so much of your time shining your light on me. It is time for you to shine all on your own.” -Edwina
108. “Next time you compliment a woman, at least try not to insult her entire sex in the process.” -Eloise
109. “Your dreams are grander than you let on.” -Colin
110. “Poetry is the art of revealing precious truth with words.” -Benedict
111. “We do not have the luxury of choice. We cannot escape our roles.”-Anthony
112. “I look like a prized calf trussed up for auction.” -Eloise
113. “Tell me you did not come here to offer me more lies or half-truths, my lord.” -Edwina
114. “You owed me nothing. You never had to earn your place in this family. I loved you from the day I met you. Oh, love is not something that is ever owed.” -Lady Mary
115. “Do as I say, child. Or would you rather be without any prospects, like Penelope?” -Lady Featherington
116. “It is maddening. How much you consume my very being.” -Anthony
117. “I did not ask for this. To be plagued by these feelings.” -Kate
118. “Tell me you feel nothing, and I will walk away.”-Anthony
119. “The thorn easily removed from the blossoming flower of our lives.” -Anthony
120. “The only person you were interested in saving was yourself.” -Eloise
121. “I may not know who I am, but at least I know I am kinder-hearted than you.” -Edwina
122. “It has been said that silence can wield more power than words. No one knows that better than me.” -Penelope
123. “It is only his thoughts I am interested in.” -Eloise
124. “I have left the past behind. You should do the same.” -Marina
125. “I’ve got a victory lap to enjoy.” -Kate
126. “Questions abound as to this author’s identity and means. Seeking those answers shall prove fruitless, indeed.” -Lady Whistledown
127. “I believe I just did.” -Dowager
128. So you find my smile pleasing?” -Anthony
129. “It is unacceptable here for a lady to decline a dance with a gentleman unless she’s already reserved by another.” -Lady Danbury
130. “I shall spoil them exceedingly.” -Kate
With so many amazing characters, there are even more great lines, but this is our list of the best Bridgerton quotes. Comment your favorite below!
For more great quotes, check out these articles: