Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom in Orlando just celebrated 50 years of magic!
As a millennial that grew up during the Disney Renaissance, I was bummed to miss out on this incredible celebration. But I got to do the next best thing – a Disney movie marathon!
I spent the week watching classics like Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Little Mermaid, all culminating to the crown jewel of the renaissance, The Lion King.
Of course, as I grew older, my love for the movie and the music score only grew. I mean who doesn’t enjoy a good shower rendition of, “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” every now and then?
Disney even does its a classic move of placing Disney easter eggs like when Zazu sings, “It’s a Small World” as a nod to the ride in the parks.
Honestly, I’d like to personally thank Rob Minkoff and Roger Allers, the directors of the film, for such a timeless classic because even as I watched it now in my adulthood, I found myself laughing (and sobbing) and truly enjoying it as much as I did the first time.
Disney has some of th best movies that as adults we all still love to watch.
The Lion King
The Lion king first aired in 1994 and since then has become a classic Disney Movie to watch.
Since then two more lion kings have aired. What many might not know is The Lion King was the first Disney movie to feature an original story line.
So in honor of the 50 years of magic and joy that Disney and the Lion King has brought we’ve got the scoop on some of the best Lion King quotes.
Best Lion King Quotes
1. “Simba, let me tell you something my father told me. Look at the stars. The great kings of the past look down on us from those stars.” -Mufasa
Mufasa’s words of wisdom to a young Simba after Simba asks if they’ll be together forever. This quote is magical and inspiring.
Young Simba asks his dad, Mufasa, if their pals, and Mufasa responds “right”. Simba then asks “we will always be together right?” This is where this quote is spoken.
Simba responds with “really?”.
“Yes. So whenever you feel alone just remember that those kings will always be there to guide you and so will I” says Mufasa.
2. “Hey Uncle Scar, when I’m king, what’ll that make you?” – Simba
“A monkey’s uncle.” – Scar
Scar does not like guessing games so when Simba asks him to guess what he wants to tell him Scar gets very bothered.
While Simba prances around him trying to get him to play Simba tells him he’s going to be the King of Pride Rock.
At first, Scar has no interest and doesn’t care. After hearing Simba say that his father showed him the whole kingdom he tries to get Simba to go beyond the northern border.
3. “And so we are all connected in the great circle of life.” – Mufasa
A classic mic drop from Mufasa. This one should make every best quotes list.
Mufasa guides Simba at this moment through the pride lands as they continue their lessons on what it means to be a king.
Mufasa explains to young Simba that you need to respect all creatures, from the crawling ant to the leaping antelope.
Simba responds, “But dad don’t we eat the antelope?”
Mufasa explains that yes they do in fact eat antelope, but when they die their bodies become the grass, and the antelope eat the grass. That is the circle of life.
4. “Well the buzz from the bees is that the leopards are in a bit of a spot. And the baboons are going ape over this. Of course, the giraffes are acting like they’re above it all. The tick birds are pecking on the elephants. I told the elephants to forget it, but they can’t. The cheetahs are hard up, but I always say, cheetahs never prosper…” -Zazu
I mean, talk about a mouthful, am I right? Try saying that in one breath.
That’s a big order for any actor and Rowan Atkinson, the voice of Timon absolutely kills it!
This quote comes from Zazu giving Mufasa the morning report.
5. “Hakuna Matata”.- Pumbaa
A staple in all inspirational quotes lists. If you’ve ever seen the lion king, this quote has definitely stayed with you.
Honestly, we could all use a little reminder of the Hakuna Matata motto.
Hakuna Matata means “no worries”.
6. “There’s one in every family, sire. Two in mine actually! And they always manage to ruin special occasions.” – Zazu
Poor Zazu! Sounds like Mufasa wasn’t the only one suffering through family issues.
7. Bad things happen and you can’t do anything about it right? Right. Wrong!” – Timon
Timon also had nuggets of gold for funny quotes. The life lessons were endless with this guy.
This is one of the first pieces of advice he offers young Simba.
8. “Look, Simba: Everything the light touches is our kingdom. A king’s time as ruler rises and falls like the sun. One day Simba, the sun will set on my time here and will rise with you as the new king.” – Mufasa
King Mufasa speaking to his young lion as he shows him the entirety of his future kingdom.
9. “I laugh in the face of danger.” – Simba
Simba says surrounded by danger in an elephant graveyard, that shadowy place he’s so obsessed with.
10. “But zazu you told me they’re nothing but slobbering, mangy stupid poachers.” -Simba
Watching this scene now, I think to myself, “Simba – read the room”. I know you’re trying to walk on the wild side but you’re all in danger!
11. “I guess even a king gets scared huh?” – Simba
Says Simba, the future king to his father after his brush with death.
12. “I know you. You’re Mufasa’s little stooge.” -Shenzi
Whoever cast Whoopi as Shenzi holds a special place in my heart (aka: Brian Chavanne).
13. “Everything you see exists together in a delicate balance. As king you need to understand that balance and respect all the creatures from the crawling ant to the leaping antelope.” – Mufasa
This is one of my personal favorite Lion King quotes from The Lion King . Helps keep me at peace when I need it!
14. “Asante Sana Squash Banana Wewe nugu mimi hapana.” – Rafiki
Let’s be honest, who didn’t chant along to this as a child? I even found myself humming along to this little tune while writing this.
Translating this from Swahili, you learn that Old Rafiki is telling the son of Mufasa, “Thank you very much, Squash banana. You’re a baboon and I am not.” which he does say when Simba asks him what he’s saying.
Just some fun facts for you!
15. “Truth is in the eye of the beholder.” -Scar
Says Scar, the king’s brother, as he avoids admitting that he was responsible for Mufasa’s death.
16. “Yet out of the ashes of this tragedy we shall rise to greet the dawning of a new era in which lion and hyena come together in a great and glorious future.” -Scar
Says Scar, the new king of pride rock, with a heavy heart. Talk about evil!
Scar wants to be the ruler and with that, he has to have his sidekicks the hyenas. Many fear Scare and the hyenas and don’t want him as their king.
17. “Everything you see – exists together in a delicate balance. While others search for what they can take, a true king searches for what he can give.”-Mufasa
A variation of the original posted above, this version is said by James Earl Jones.
18. It’s like my buddy Timon always says: you got to put your behind in your past.”- Pumbaa
“No no no ametuer. Lie down before you hurt yourself.” -Timon
The banter between these two could make up this entire list.
Pumbaa and Timon are best friends, they first met while Timon was finding his dream home.
19. “When the going gets tough, the tough get going.” – Timon
This is a great quote because life is filled with a lot of challenges but it’s how we respond to those challenges that make us and this serves as the gentle reminder that we can all be tougher than our challenges.
20. “I was just trying to be brave, like you.” -Simba
“I’m only brave when I have to be.” -Mufasa
This scene gets me every time because Simba obviously admires his father and just wants to embody his father’s strength.
Simba loves up to his dad and follows in his footsteps.
21. “I left to find help, and I found you. Don’t you understand? You’re our only hope.” -Nala
This quote involves Nala trying really hard in the jungle to remind Simba of his great responsibility as king of the pride lands.
22. “If you’re hungry for a hunk of fat and juicy meat, eat my buddy Pumbaa here because he is a treat. Come on down and dine on this tasty swine. All you have to do is get in line. Are you achin’? For some bacon? He’s a big pig! You could be a big pig too!” -Timon
Again, another classic little jingle! Timon and Pumbaa are truly some of the best comedic sidekick duos during the Disney renaissance.
23. “I was first in line until that little hairball was born.” -Scar
Scar, Simba’s paternal uncle, was clearly displeased to lose his shot at the throne.
Scar has always despised his brother Mufasa, his son Simba, and the life they were living. It’s to no surprise that Scar says this.
24. “There’s more to being king than getting your way all the time.”-Mufasa
Says a wise Mufasa during one of his lessons, reminding Simba that a true king’s power does not solely rely on their ability to command.
25. “If it’s important to you – we’re with you to the end!” – Timon
This is one of the many times you see that despite being his little friend, Timon is Simba’s biggest supporter.
These words of encouragement helo Simba realize his full potential and everyone he has that supports him.
26. “It’s the lionesses job to go hunting.” -Scar
This one makes the list because it has always fascinated me that in the great circle of life, and in particular when it comes to the king of the jungle, the hunting party is composed of females. Interesting, no?
27. “I thought things were bad under Mufasa.” – Banzai
“What did you say?” -Scar
“I said, que pasa?” -Banzai
This interaction between Banzai and Scar is great for many reasons. Mainly because you get to see that Scar’s rule is so terrible even the hyenas hate it.
28. “Before sunrise, he’s your son.”- Mufasa
Said every exhausted parent EVER.
Simba yells “Dad! Dad! Dad!” to try and get him up while sleepy Sarabi says “your sun is awake” and that is where Mufasa says this line.
As much as they love their Simba they too need sleep.
29. “Who’s the brains of this outfit?” -Timon
Timon is truly the most bizarre character whose phrases always caught me off guard. If nothing else, Timon is a good reason alone to enjoy this classic movie!
30. “Well as far as brains go, I got the lion’s share but when it comes to brute strength, I’m afraid I’m at the shallow end of the gene pool.” – Scar
I held my breath after hearing this line thinking that was a bad idea on Scar’s part.
Scar has always been the less muscular, skinnier brother of the two.
31. “He lives in you.” -Rafiki
Rafiki guides Simba to the water’s edge and shows him his reflection while offering these wise words about his father.
Seeing his reflection Simba believes that his father is always with him and he must continue his legacy.
32. “So where are we going? It better not be any place dumb.” -Nala
Nala, the young lion cub declares as she follows Simba to the northern border.
33. “Oh yes the past can hurt but the way I see it you can either run from it or learn from it.” -Rafiki
One of the wisest and best quotes, arguably in all Disney movies.
After the killing of his father, Simba is reluctant to go back home and face his past but Rafiki encourages him to move past his fear like a true friend.
34.“Don’t turn your back on me Scar.” -Mufasa
“Oh no Mufasa, perhaps you shouldn’t turn your back on me.” -Scar
“Is that a challenge?” – Mufasa
The king approaches his brother ready to defend his honor.
The two have never got a long and this scene shows how much scar could care less about his bother and what he wants.
35. “Ix nay on the upid-stay.” -Zazu
“Who you callin’ upid-stay?” -Banzai
This interaction between Zazu and Banzai just reminds me of a simpler time when we all learned to speak pig Latin and shared a little secret language.
36. “Simba, being brave doesn’t mean you go looking for trouble.” – Mufasa
Mufasa teaches his son another lesson in the meadow after being rescued in the graveyard.
Simba is very adventurous and sometimes his adventures can lead him into dangerous situations. Mufasa teaches young Simba this lesson so that he will be more careful.
37. “Mufasa’s death is a terrible tragedy. But to lose Simba, who had barely begun to live… For me, it is a deep personal loss.” – Scar
Lies Scar through his teeth as he happily assumes the throne. I’m sure the only thing keeping him from grinning is knowing he has a part to play.
38. “I’m surrounded by idiots.” -Scar
Scar being…well… Scar. This quote describes scar perfectly and his character.
Scar never cared for anyone other than himself and his hyenas.
39. “I just needed to get out on my own, live my own life.” – Simba
Despite having left for the wrong reasons, I feel like Simba actually won by leaving. He went on a spiritual journey of self-growth which probably, in turn, made him a better king.
40. “Carnivores, oy!” -Timon
An honorable mention for my Vegan friends. Timon sighs this after fearing for his and Pumbaa’s life after Nala attacks them thinking they could be dinner.
The story of Simba has made such an impact in my life and in my childhood. A full story’s worth of valuable life lessons and incredible songs, it’s no wonder that it has had so much success!
The bottom line of one of the best movies in cinematic history being that you shouldn’t run from who you are and owning your power.
I’ve carried these sentiments through my life and constantly come back to Mufasa, Simba, and the gang whenever I need a reminder that I am tougher than whatever I’m facing.
I hope you’ve enjoyed going on this journey as we reviewed some of the best Lion King quotes!
For more great Disney quotes check out these articles below: