Everyone has an interest that gives them joy. Some people like cooking, while others prefer sports or arts. Knowing someone’s hobbies can come in handy when buying a present for them. Giving the person something they are already passionate about will make your present extra special. If there is someone in your life, like a friend or perhaps a girlfriend, who is crafty and loves to DIY, you can do some effort and give them something handmade. If you appreciate the idea but are lost regarding the execution because are not that much into DIY, then keep reading. In this article, we will share some very simple DIY ideas that the decor enthusiast in your life will not only love but also proudly display.
A terrarium basically miniaturizes an entire garden and brings it inside the house. It has a complete ecosystem and looks beautiful. Making a terrarium is easy and you probably have the supplies laying around the house (and in your yard) right now. For this, you will need:
- A glass container
- Some soil
- Tiny pebbles
- Small succulents
- Use a teaspoon to add soil to the base of the container, fill the container a little less than 1/3rd of its length.
- Plant the succulents into this soil like you would plant a big succulent in a proper pot. You might want to use a spoon or a pair of tweezers to dig the soil and place the plant in.
- Now you are free to add as many or as little pebbles you wish. Place the pebbles strategically to ensure that the terrarium looks aesthetically pleasing.
Snow globes are a fun and easy DIY gift. They are entertaining to look at because of the floating glitter particles. You may think that to create the magical glitter rain you need some special chemicals, but you would be wrong. The liquid inside a snow globe is nothing but ordinary glycerin. To make a snow globe you will require:
- A glass jar
- Oil-based paints
- Distilled water
- A small toy
- First, use the oil-based paint in the color of choice to paint the lid of the jar. You can match this color to the overall color scheme of your friend’s house so your gift will look like it truly belongs where it is placed.
- Next, use the epoxy to stick the tiny toy to the inside of the lid. This toy can be anything you like, like a small snowman, an animal, a teddy bear, it’s up to you.
- Pour distilled water into the jar until it is ¾ full.
- Add a tablespoon of glycerin and a sprinkle of glitter.
- Close the lid tightly and shake the jar to view the snowfall.
Putting fresh flowers in the house has many benefits, like uplifted mood and improved memory. If you want your loved one to be around flowers more often, gifting them the gift of a DIY flower vase might be a good idea.
There are many ways you can make a flower vase. You can use glass paints to decorate a glass jar. Or you can use chalk paint to give the vase a rustic look— the possibilities are endless. You can even make a vase entirely out of paper mache, it will take a little more hard work but it will be worth it.
Decor is not just about what looks good, but also about what feels great. Candles look very pretty and they create a pleasant environment with their pleasing smells. You can give someone the gift of relaxation by making them a DIY candle.
- Candle wax
- Wax dye
- Glass jar
- Essential oil
- Take the candle wick and wrap its free end around and pencil and then balance the pencil on the mouth of the glass jar.
- In a bowl, put the candle wax and add a few drops of the color of your choice.
- Next, add some drops of the essential oil that corresponds to the scent you are going for.
- Place the bowl in the microwave until the wax melts completely.
- Now, carefully pour this mixture into the jar on which you placed the pencil. Let the candle rest until the wax completely cools. Once the candle has hardened, you can unravel the pencil and cut the wick to an appropriate length.
Making DIY gifts for someone who is into home decor can be simple. You just need to observe their interests and taste and make your gift in line with that. The best thing about making a gift instead of buying one is that you can personalize it as much as you want. You can use their favorite colors, or write something on it that has sentimental importance for both of you.
If you give your beloved a decor item that you made with your own hands, you will get to be a part of the aesthetic of their house. They will be reminded of you every time they pass by it. Now, wouldn’t that nice?
Check out more DIY projects on Sarah Scoop!