It looks like the start of something new! It has been 13 years since High School Musical premiered on Disney Channel! When High School Musical came out, I don’t think anyone would believe how special it would have become. The classic 2006 Disney Channel film would make Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens, and Ashley Tisdale the stars they are today!
Thirteen years later, High School Musical is coming back but in a very different way. High School Musical: The Musical: The Series is a 10-episode scripted series that everyone can stream on Disney+!
How will it be different?
You may be wondering if this will be just be a remake of High School Musical but as a series. Well, actually it is going to have a twist! This series will follow a group of students as they countdown to opening night at their school’s first-ever production of “High School Musical: The Musical.” This will a modern take on the classic film that came out 13 years ago!!
Don’t think that they will forget about the High School Musical! There will be plenty of meta references to the High School Musical franchise itself! A major difference that will between the series and the movie is that the series will be shot with hand-held cameras to provide a fresh, documentary-style feel.
How will it be the same?
The series will still be set at the real-life East High, where the original movie was filmed! Budding romances, faltering friendships and harsh rivalries are just some of the things you will see in High School Musical: The Musical: The Series that was inspired by the classic film. The lives of the new generation of East High student will be changed forever as they discover who they really are.
There will be new songs in every episode on the 10-part series – many of them sung live by a cast of real-life teenagers. But, they won’t let you forget about the classic songs from the 2006 High School Musical movie. There will be many re-imagined versions of tunes from the original movies!
Who will be the students & staff at East High?
- A charismatic junior at East High, auditioning for the musical just so he can win back his ex-girlfriend, Nina.
- Ricky’s ex-girlfriend who just returned from theater camp, but with a new boyfriend!
- Nina’s new boyfriend from summer camp, who sees life as a competition and Ricky as his number one enemy.
- The new transfer student at East High who is a diehard theater kid with plenty of secrets.
- Best friend to Nina, a fashionista at heart, and is equally obsessed with makeup tutorials and feminism.
- E.J.’s cousin and an aspiring songwriter.
- The student choreographer who has his Tony Awards speech memorized.
- Big Red
- Ricky’s best friend and who can be described as a spiritual descendant of Bill and Ted.
- Miss Jenn
- East High’s supremely spirited drama teacher, who is convinced that musicals can be lifesavers. Does that sound familiar from the original High School Musical?
- Mr. Mazzara
- East High’s by-the-book S.T.E.M. teacher.
What will High School Musical: The Musical: The Series be about?
Ricky enlists his best friend Big Red to help win back the heart of his ex-girlfriend Nina by auditioning to stage opposite her in the school’s first-ever theatrical production of “High School Musical!”