Hy-Vee is one of my favorite grocery stores because their produce selection is always fresh and plentiful. If you’re taking on Weight Watchers, what better place than here to stock up with the best ingredients?
You can’t go wrong buying a plethora of fruit and veggies. If you’re not exactly sure what’s in season, use this guide to help you pick out the best ones. All fruits and veggies are ZERO POINTS, all the more reason to keep plenty on hand!
Here are some of my go-to fruits:
These veggies are nutrient-rich and taste great year-round:
- Brussel Sprouts
- Pea pods
- Sweet Potatoes
Hy-Vee also has an impressive selection of proteins to fuel your diet. Browse the aisles or head to the deli counter to check out their fresh options. My personal favorite is their Responsible Choice Shrimp, which can be purchased in any quantity – perfect for a single meal. Look at the weekly circular for specials at your local store.
- 3-ounce chicken breast (2 points)
- 3-ounce sirloin pork (3 points)
- 3-ounce lean pork (3 points)
Higher calorie & fat-dense meats:
- 3-ounce new york steak (5 points)
- 3-ounce bratwurst (9 points)
- One beef hotdog (6 points)
- 3 slices of pork bacon (5 points)
- 3 ounces of shrimp (1 point)
- 3 ounces of lobster (1 point)
- 3 ounces of tuna (1 point)
- 3 ounces of tilapia (1 point)
Healthy food doesn’t have to be bland, and Weight Watchers kept that in mind when designing their point scale. All herbs and spices are also ZERO POINTS!
Spice up your meal with these:
- 5-spice powder
Researchers agree that incorporating dairy can help you lose weight and preserve muscle, so don’t cut it out. If you’re a cheese lover like me, consider going for the low fat version.
- One serving of nonfat milk (3 points)
- One serving of whole milk (7 points)
- Nonfat greek yogurt (3 points)
- Regular nonfat yogurt (5 points)
- One slice of low-fat cheese (1 point)
- One slice of cheese (4 points)
Hy-Vee’s deli offering is large, spanning from simple sliced cheese for the budget shopper, to brie wheels and other foreign cheeses. If this is totally your thing, take a look around next time and find a cheese that suits your taste. Remember – it’s weight watchers, so you can eat whatever you want, but quantity counts!
Consider Hy-Vee for your next Weight Watchers shopping trip. With plenty of fresh, wholesome ingredients & great prices, you’ll soon see what you’ve been missing.