The Oscars are quickly approaching and it’s time to get ready to snuggle up on the couch and watch one of my favorite awards shows. It’s an award show that celebrates the best every year and nothing goes better with a show than hot, buttery popcorn. But cupcakes and popcorn?
If you’re skeptical, it tastes better than it sounds – sweet and salty. For an added touch of the movie theater, you can display them in a plastic popcorn box or use tinfoil cupcake wrappers. Add your favorite bits of movie candy (M&Ms are my favorite chocolaty choice) in the mix.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare cupcake pan with striped red and white paper liners to look like popcorn bags. If you can’t find mini popcorn bag paper liners, you can always opt for foil liners. They do the trick too.
- In a large bowl, mix the baking powder, butter, and all-purpose flour. Add vanilla extract and sugar. Then the eggs, one at a time. Slowly add milk until just combined. Once the mixture has been whisked into a thick batter, let it settle.
- Add M&M’s for a chocolaty delicious taste. Slowly mix into the batter. The amount you add here is really up to you.
- Fill the cupcake liners about halfway full.
- Bake about 18-22 minutes or until golden brown (use the toothpick trick).
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting with thick buttercream frosting. You can use any kind of frosting you want, but light flavors tend to look better (not to mention taste better) with the popcorn topping.
- Carefully, pile the frosted tops with clusters of popped buttery popcorn kernels.
- If you are feeling creative you can add extra M&Ms or any of your favorite candy pieces on top of the popcorn.
* Makes about 12 cupcakes.
And there you have it, delicious popcorn cupcakes! Let us know if you make these and what other recipes you want to see!