Cheesy, garlic flavored grits baked to golden brown perfection. Head’s up cheese and garlic lovers, will want to try these!
Growing up, grits were a breakfast staple. I enjoyed them frequently with just butter, salt, and pepper. My favorite way to eat grits, however, was with cheese melted in just before serving. This grits recipe is a little different, it is baked so it has a yummy golden brown crust, and the texture of the grits is more firm and set than traditional grits.
This dish is something my family would normally eat for Thanksgiving dinner. It is cheap and simple to make for many people by increasing the quantity of ingredients. I also make this dish as a side dish for typical dinners. This particular recipe serves 6. When I made this dish last, I served it alongside air fried marinated chicken thighs and green beans. It was a hit!
Garlic Cheese Grits Ingredients:
- 1/2 cups quick cooking Grits. Boil in 6 cups of water or chicken stock for more flavor.
- 1 tbsp. Minced Garlic. Using minced garlic as well as garlic powder increases the great garlic flavor.
- 1/2 stick butter. Makes the dish rich and creamy.
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese. Feel free to change up the type of cheese. I prefer medium or sharp cheddar.
- 1 tsp. garlic powder.
- 1 tsp cayenne (optional). I added this on top to add color and a slight kick!
- Salt and pepper to taste.
How to make Garlic Cheese Grits:
Next, season with 1 tsp. garlic powder and salt and pepper.
Next, add in 2 eggs beaten and combine.
After that, melt in 1/2 stick of butter.
Finally, Bake for 45-55 minutes. Enjoy!
Use chicken broth as the cooking liquid for the grits instead of water to infuse more flavor.
Get the scoop on more delicious recipes for every night of the week:
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking grits
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne (optional)
- First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and boil 6 cups of water. When water is boiling, add in 1 1/2 cup of grits and 1 tbsp. minced garlic. Cook until grits are thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Next, season with 1 tsp. garlic powder and salt and pepper
- Then, add 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup milk. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Next, add in 2 eggs beaten and combine.
- After that, melt in 1/2 stick of butter.
- Add grits to 8x8 baking dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and sprinkle with cayenne.
- Finally, Bake for 45-55 minutes. Enjoy!
Boil grits in chicken stock instead of water for more flavor.