Christopher Nolan is at it again with The Dark Knight, the sequel to Batman Begins. This blockbuster film stars the criminal mastermind, Heath Ledger as the Joker, one of the greatest comic book villains to ever exist. The Joker is considered to be Harley Quinn’s other half from Suicide Squad. He even threatens people from Batman 1989 that “if anyone else calls you beast, I’ll rip their lungs out.” The Joker quotes from The Dark Knight have to be our favorite!
The Joker goes against Batman in the superhero movie and attempts to create a cruel world. Heath Ledger is not the only actor to play the clown prince of crime, Joaquin Phoenix (Arthur Fleck) also plays the caliph of clowns. Here is the scoop on some of the best Joker quotes from The Dark Knight!
1. “Nobody panics when things go ‘according to plan.’ Even if the plan is horrifying! If, tomorrow, I tell the press that, like, a gang banger will get shot or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it’s all *part of the plan*. But when I say that one little old mayor will die, well than everyone loses their minds!” -Heath Ledger Joker
The mayor is responsible for keeping the city together even during a crisis. The Joker tells Two-Face that no one cares when gang people are shot but when it comes to the mayor, they are the vessel that’s keeping the city alive.
2. “This city deserves a better class of criminal. And I’m gonna give it to them!” -Heath Ledger Joker
He seems to put himself first when it comes to being an efficient criminal of Gotham City. He is the only one to destroy the order of things. Makes for a perfect definition of a bad guy.
3. “The only sensible way to live in this world is without rules. And tonight, you’re going to break your one rule.” Heath Ledger Joker
The Joker mimics and mocks Batman. It won’t be the last time that Batman and the Joker clash. Even though they seem like the opposite when it comes to perspectives, they really aren’t much different. Has to be the most chaotic joker quote from The Dark Knight!
4. “In their last moments, people show you who they really are.” -Heath Ledger Joker
We know the Joker to be a villain that doesn’t hesitate to kill others. He also believes that every man is for himself. Moreover, he fails to create harmony with other people. Even more so with Coleman Reese from the Wayne Enterprises.
5. “I took Gotham’s white knight and I brought him down to our level. It wasn’t hard. You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity—All it takes is a little push!” -Heath Ledger Joker
The Joker finds success in killing Rachel and changing Dent into Two-Face. He might be a guy of simple taste but when it comes to destruction, turning Dent into Two-Face was nothing short of genius.
6. “Now comes the part where I relieve you, the little people, of the burden of your failed and useless lives. But as my plastic surgeon always says: if you gotta go, go with a smile.” -Heath Ledger Joker
He thinks that getting rid of the rules in Gotham will save people’s lives as they won’t be judged on where they stand in society.
7. “One by one, they’ll hear my call. Then this wicked town, will follow my fall.” -Heath Ledger Joker
He believes that everyone will join on his side to escape their useless lives.
8. “Why don’t we cut you up into little pieces and feed you to your pooches? Hm? And then we’ll see how loyal a hungry dog really is.” -Heath Ledger Joker
When the Joker threatens The Chechen after taking his men.
9. “Introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos, I’m an agent of chaos, and you know the thing about chaos? It’s fair.” -Heath Ledger Joker
He feels responsible for being the one that opens the floodgates to chaos. Moreover, the Joker can’t help but believe that people are held back by the established order. Has to be one of the most memorable quotes that drive utter chaos.
10. “I won’t kill you, because you’re just too much fun.” -Heath Ledger Joker
The Joker directs this quote to Batman as his enemy. But we realize that Batman gives meaning to the Joker. He always has a good time competing against Batman.
11. “I’m a man of simple taste. I like things such as gunpowder, dynamite, and gasoline!”-Heath Ledger Joker
Mental illness is not something that can be hidden under a mask forever. The worst part is that the Joker tries to create his own world from those pent-up feelings. He likes to cause chaos using methods that anyone can use to appeal to the people in Gotham.
12. “Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I’m a dog chasing cars. I wouldn’t know what to do with one if I caught it! You know, I just… *do* things.” -Heath Ledger Joker
One of the best Joker quotes to describe how careless his actions are with no real reason behind them. We can tell the lack of emotions he seemed to have when killing and causing chaos.
13. “Everything burns!” -Heath Ledger Joker
The Joker’s only agenda was to cause chaos, destruction, and letting the world burn. So when money was drawn into the mix, he becomes irritated and burns the money.
14. “Very poor choice of words.” -Heath Ledger Joker
When the Joker interrupts a dinner party and ends up holding a knife to Rachel’s throat. Batman catches sight of the situation and tells the Joker to let her go. The Joker seems to be having a bad day when he can’t find Harvey Dent.
15. “See this is how crazy batman made Gotham! If you want order in Gotham, Batman must take off his mask and turn himself in. Oh, and every day he doesn’t, people will die, starting tonight. I’m a man of my word.” -Heath Ledger Joker
When the Joker sends a video to Batman threatening him. Batman starts to realize that the Joker is not a villain to play around with, especially when it comes to destroying Gotham.
16. “This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You truly are incorruptible, aren’t you? You won’t kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness.” -Heath Ledger Joker
This Joker quote from The Dark Knight describes the relationship between the chaotic Joker and the dark Batman.
17. “How about a magic trick? I’m gonna make this pencil disappear!” -Heath Ledger Joker
This Joker quote from The Dark Knight is unique and the most talked-about line that really shows the Joker’s abilities. For the first time, the mob bosses paid attention to him.
In the interrogation room with Detective Stephens, the Joker talks about why he uses a knife and the little emotions that people have. The Joker asks for his phone call and tries to get into Stephen’s head about the true nature of people. Later on, Lt. James Gordon makes an entrance to ask about Harvey.
18. “You see, their morals, their code, it’s a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They’re only as good as the world allows them to be. I’ll show you. When the chips are down, these…civilized people, they’ll eat each other. See, I’m not a monster. I’m just ahead of the curve.” -Heath Ledger Joker
Is solely based on the Joker’s delusions as the only rational person with a firm understanding of human nature. He even admits to Batman that killing for money is what other people say but it isn’t true. The Joker plays the role of a fool in other people’s minds.
19. “Very neat! That ugly head of yours does have a brain!” -Heath Ledger Joker
An act of teasing from the Joker. He sees everyone on the side of order to be brainless.
20. “Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away…forever.” -Heath Ledger Joker
Madness is what distracts him from dwelling on the depressing times in his life.
21. “They could put me in a helicopter and fly me up into the air and line up the bodies head to toe on the ground in delightful geometric patterns like an endless June Taylor dance routine — and it would never be enough. No, I don’t keep count. But you do. And I love you for it.” -The Joker
The Joker doesn’t care about the number of people he has killed, but the people (Batman and Detective Stephens) who want to retain order in the city cares.
22. “The real joke is your stubborn, bone-deep conviction that somehow, somewhere, all of this makes sense! That’s what cracks me up each time.” -The Joker
He is implying that established order doesn’t make sense and a world without rules seems to make more sense.
23. “I don’t wanna kill you, what would I do without you? Go back to rippin’ off mob dealers…no, no, you, complete me.” -The Joker
During the interrogation scene, Batman asks why the Joker is so fixated on killing him, but he denies it and would rather have Batman alive. One of the best Joker quotes from The Dark Knight gives light into the relationship between Batman and the Joker.
24. “We made it! Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment! I only have one question: Where is Harvey Dent?” -The Joker
The Joker enters into the fundraiser party but leaves with disappointment after coming up empty-handed.
25. “And you know what? She can’t stand the sight of me! She leaves. Now, I see the funny side. Now, I’m always smiling.” -The Joker
His whole life is insane, which gives him a good enough reason to be happy.
26. “Haven’t you heard of the healing power of laughter?” -The Joker
As long as he can make other people smile, it doesn’t matter if he is happy or not.
27. “A little fight in you. I like that.” -The Joker
When Rachel hits him in the groin and attempts to escape.
28. “Those mob fools want you gone. So they can get back to the way things were. But I know the truth, there’s no going back. You’ve changed things…forever.” -The Joker
After Two-Face flips a coin and it lands on the good side. The silent guardian and watchful protector of Gotham City, Batman, tackles Two-Face.
29. “You can’t rely on anyone these days, you gotta do everything yourself, don’t we? That’s ok, I came prepared, it’s a funny world we live in. Speaking of which, you know how I got these scars?” -The Joker
In the DC Universe, the worst part about the Joker is he doesn’t really have a character story. He tells Rachel Dawes a different story compared to the one said earlier about how he received the scars from the kitchen knife held by his father when he was a little boy. He instead mentions having a wife who gambles.
30. “You didn’t think I’d risk losing the battle for Gotham’s soul in a fist fight with you? No. You need an ace in the hole. Mine’s Harvey.” -The Joker
The Joker plans on winning in the battle with a more strategic plan such as a trump card instead of an actual fight. Seeing how the Joker keeps getting beat up, it wouldn’t be a good look for him.
Between all of the movies where the Joker appears, there are countless famous lines with such sweet sorrow ingrained within. The grand mogul of mountebanks just might be one the best villains in film history! Hoped you enjoyed this list of the best Joker quotes from The Dark Knight!
Have you seen the animated series, Christmas with the Joker, where the Joker escapes the mental institution and provides Christmas presents to Batman (Bruce Wayne)? Be sure to also watch Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore.
Check out this post about funny Joker quotes. “April sweet is coming in, let the feast of fools begin.”
For more hard-hitting quotes, visit these articles: