Flaky biscuits, juicy strawberries, and fresh whipped cream. This easy and delicious strawberry shortcake recipe is perfect for warm summer nights!
In my house, Father’s Day is a big deal. Every year, my entire family comes together to spend the day hiking our favorite scenic trails or relaxing on the nearby lake and soaking up the summer sun. Then, during the evening, we have a big family dinner in the grassy backyard. Some years we turn on the grill and roast vegetables while other years we make refreshing summer salads. But, no matter how we spend our afternoon or what delicious meal we cook, my family always ends the day with the same traditional dessert: strawberry shortcake.
Since I was a kid, my father’s favorite dessert has always been (and likely always will be) strawberry shortcake. And not just any strawberry shortcake. He likes a crumbly buttermilk biscuit topped with fresh strawberries and cold vanilla whipped cream. Therefore, over the years, I have discovered the perfect recipe to ensure a successful dessert. The hearty buttermilk biscuits pair perfectly with the fresh fruit and silky cream. And the best part is… it is super easy to make! I do not need to prepare hours ahead of time or run to the store to get any fancy ingredients. I often have everything that I need already in my kitchen. So, if you are looking for the perfect dessert for a summer night, there is no excuse not to try these. Ditch the overly sweetened biscuit mix and the preservative-filled can of cream. Let’s get baking!
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE INGREDIENTS:
These biscuits require 2 cups of all purpose flour.
This recipe does not require too much sugar. I like to use around 1 tablespoon of sugar in the batter so that the biscuits do not come out too sweet. You can also sprinkle some sugar on top of your biscuits once they are formed (but before they bake) to add some crunch.
Lastly, I like to add about 3 tablespoons of sugar to my homemade whipped cream (to make enough for 9 biscuits). You can add a little bit more or a little bit less sugar in each component depending on how sweet you want your dessert to be.
This may sound like a lot, but you will need 2 teaspoons of baking powder to make these biscuits rise.
Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the batter bring out the flavor.
I don’t know about you, but I love the taste of buttermilk. For these biscuits, you will need 3/4 of a cup.
This recipe requires 6 tablespoons of cold, unsalted butter. The trick here is that the butter has to come straight out of the fridge. Unlike other recipes, there is no need to take the butter out before hand and wait for it to warm.
It may come as a shock to hear, but for this strawberry shortcake recipe you will need lots of strawberries. I like to quarter my strawberries but you can dice them up more finely if you want to. Make this dessert your own!
Trust me, it is not hard to make homemade whipped cream. It really is exactly what it sounds like: just whip some cream. About 1 1/2 a cups of heavy cream will make the perfect amount for these 9 biscuits. You can, of course, make more or less depending on how many biscuits you will be eating.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE:
Next, cut in the cold butter. Cut your cold butter into little pieces and work the cubes into your dry mixture. I like to just use my hands to form the dough. The dough should become crumbly.
Next, place your dough on a lightly floured surface and work to combine all of the crumbs. Fold the dough three or four times to incorporate everything. Then, form a rectangle and cut the biscuits using a biscuit cutter.
I made 9 medium sized biscuits using a 2.5-inch cutter. You can brush buttermilk and sprinkle sugar onto each biscuit if you want to. Then, lay the balls on your lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 450 F. That’s it for the biscuits! Super simple.
Then, prepare your strawberries. Cut your berries into quarters (or smaller if you want) and put them in a bowl. Sprinkle them with sugar and toss to combine. I like to do this a few hours ahead of time so that the sugar can seep into the berries and make them extra juicy!
Finally, when you are nearing time to eat your dessert, prepare the cream. Pour your heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla into an electric mixer. Then, just start whipping. Beat on medium-high for a couple of minutes (mine takes about three minutes). The cream should become thick and pillow-y.
All that is left to do is assemble! Cut your homemade biscuits in half and fill them with a dollop of fresh whipped cream and a spoonful (or two) of juicy berries. Eat up!
Check out some of our other delicious dessert recipes:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cartons strawberries
- 2 - 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ cups whipping cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Prepare the Biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt) in a bowl.
- Cut small cubes of cold butter. Work the cubes of butter into the dry ingredients. A course crumble should form.
- Pour the buttermilk and vanilla into the center of the dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Place the dough on a floured surface. Work the loose crumbs into the dough. Fold the dough three to four times to make sure that everything is combined.
- Form a rectangle (about two inches thick). Use a 2.5 inch biscuit cutter to cut 9 biscuits.
- Brush buttermilk and sprinkle sugar on top of each biscuit.
- Place the 9 biscuits on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 14 - 16 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Chop the strawberries into quarters (or dice them if you want smaller pieces).
- Pour sugar on top and stir. Let the strawberries soak up the sugar for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Pour the cream into an electric mixer. Beat on high for 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and the sugar. Beat for 2 more minutes. The cream should become thick and pillow-y.
- Cut the cooled biscuits in half.
- Spoon some strawberries onto each biscuit.
- Spoon whipped cream onto the strawberries.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!