It is almost impossible to resist the explosion of flavors that the mozzarella cheese sticks give to your mouth. They are warm, crunchy on the outside, and have a gooey cheesy goodness on the inside. If you are looking for a low calorie option and the best way to cook frozen mozzarella sticks in air fryer, you are in the correct place. Here we have the full scoop on how to enjoy this delicious and easy appetizer.
Frozen mozzarella sticks in the air fryer are the way to go! Not only because they cut the calories that come from submerging them in a deep fryer, but by only using a little oil the hot air gives you the best results for all your air fryer recipes without deep frying.
Here is a tasty, easy, and fun recipe for you in order to make the best homemade air fryer mozzarella sticks. No matter the size of your air fryer, they are going to taste amazing!
All About Air Frying
Different brands create their own best cheese sticks for the convenience of the consumer, in order to prepare this melty cheese quick snack whenever they are craving them, or to have a side dish to enjoy during football season, happy hour, and game day even if they have a smaller Air Fryer.
The best defense for those days when you don’t have the cooking time to make this tasty snack from scratch is to buy them already prepared from the frozen foods section at the grocery store. There are different ways and delicious gooey cheese sticks options available to make them taste like they are fresh and just came out of the fryer, without doing the hard work. Using an Air fryer of course!
Stores such as Walmart and Target are the right place to find the best ready to cook frozen mozzarella sticks to make them in an Air fryer, as well as finding vegetarian Air fryer resources, and no added sugar. You just only need to follow their cooking directions, and select the perfect option that adapts to your dietary needs according to the nutritional information.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Frozen Mozzarella Sticks
This recipe calls for about 8 to 10 crispy mozzarella sticks cooked out of very simple ingredients that you can easily find at any grocery store.
- 8 to 10 Frozen Cheese sticks. They can be string cheese or cut them in rectangles from a cheese block. It is very important that they stay frozen by the time you place them on the air fryer basket, so they hold their shape while the breadcrumb mixture is cooked through.
- ¼ of Cup of all purpose flour. I like to give an extra seasoning to the flour with a pinch of salt and garlic powder (optional).
- 1 whisked large egg. If you are like me and enjoy mild or spicy flavors, add a drizzle of your preferred buffalo sauce to the egg and mix well.
- ⅔ of a Cup of bread crumbs. There are many different product types of bread crumbs that are already seasoned, but if not you can add garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, salt, pepper and even Italian seasoning to make them extra tasty.
- Parmesan cheese. For garnish (optional)
- Dipping sauce. For these delicious breaded mozzarella sticks, I prefer any of my favorite marinara sauce but they also taste great with bbq sauce, ranch, hot sauce, or ketchup.
How to Cook Frozen Mozzarella Sticks in Air Fryer
- Double check that the cheese sticks are frozen. If not, place them on a baking sheet with parchment paper into the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Prepare your egg mixture and bread crumbs mix on separate bowls or containers, and place the all purpose flour on an extended plate.
- Once the cheese sticks are frozen, lightly coat them in flour first. Then, roll them into the whisked egg. And finally, coat cheese sticks into the bread crumbs mix. For a crunchier version of mozzarella sticks, repeat this step a second time.
- Carefully oil spray the air fryer oven basket, and place a single layer of the breaded cheese sticks on it.
- Let the air fryer work for 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown at 380 degrees F.
- Once the air fryer cheese sticks are ready, let them cool down for about five minutes, and enjoy these gooey mozzarella sticks with your favorite dip.
- If you have some leftovers, wait until they are completely cool down, store them in an airtight container and place them in the fridge. Reheat in an Air fryer for about 5 minutes.
- Enjoy your delicious cheese sticks!
A few extra tips to perfectly prepare frozen mozzarella sticks in an air fryer, are to lightly grease the basket with a little bit of olive oil or spray, so they don’t stick at the bottom (you can also use aluminum foil), and never cook the mozzarella sticks when they are at room temperature. Always freeze the cheese sticks first!
The air fryer cook times are way shorter than a regular oven or instant pot, allowing the frozen food to not dry out and remain crunchy even when using a higher temperature. On a large air fryer a lot of delicious recipes can be made such as, frozen chicken tenders, french fries, tater tots, air fryer chicken wings, frozen pizza, air fryer pizza rolls, and of course rich mozzarella sticks.
Subscribe to our email newsletter to obtain the latest information about what else you can cook with an Air Fryer.
If you enjoyed learning how to make homemade mozzarella sticks, check out these recipes below:
- How To Cook Frozen Burgers in the Air Fryer | Easy
- How To Cook Frozen Pizza Rolls in the Air Fryer | Easy
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipe | Easy
- How To Cook Frozen Tater Tots in the Air Fryer | Easy
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for your support!