A Silent Voice is a 2016 Japanese film based on the popular manga with Shoya Ishida, Tomohiro, Shoko Nishimiya, and a few others. The animated masterpiece was directed by Naoko Yamada and written by Reiko Yoshida. Aside from the beautiful animation, the movie explores themes found in the real world: friendship, bullying, mental health, and redemption. This powerful story takes you on a journey with Ishida as he learns to correct his past mistakes. Here is the scoop on some of the best A Silent Voice movie quotes!
1. “Back then, if we could have heard each other’s voices, everything would have been so much better.” -Shoya Ishida
Shoya recalls the first time he met Nishimiya in class and wishes that he could’ve heard her voice. The first person to bully her was of course Shoya as she attempted to read a passage for class. This quote holds Shoya’s regret in that he would’ve treated her a lot better if she wasn’t deaf.
2. “I intended to listen to your voice, but it really was nothing but intentions. It’s pretty odvious, huh? Of course there’s more going on than what people choose to tell you… But I convinced myself that was all there is to a person. I knew that, but still I interpreted the stuff I didn’t understand about you in ways convienent for me… That’s just how I am.” -Shoya Ishida
Ishida and a few other classmates bullied Nishimiya. However, Ishida seems to own up to his mistakes when saying this quote. This A Silent Voice movie quote reminds us that we shouldn’t judge people without seeing the whole picture.
3. “Things would have been so much better back then… If we had heard each other’s voices. I hate myself. I was selfish, and I never thought about anyone else’s feelings. Since then, my classmates have all looked down on me. I’ve lived for seventeen years, and I haven’t lived one of them as a good person. -Shoya Ishida
After Shoya bullies Nishimiya, he goes through life carrying a big chip on his shoulders for his childish actions towards her, especially when finding out she wears hearing aids. Nishimiya’s kind demeanor makes her think that she’s in the wrong for making Ishida want to bully her.
4. The only time I heard your voice was when we got into that fight. And what pisses me off the most is the fact that I haven’t changed at all since back then! -Shoya Ishida
After Ishida is bullied by the ones he use to call friends, he confronts Nishimiya and tries to intentionally provoke her. She finally cracks under all of the pressure by saying that she is doing the best that she can.
5. But… But now, I think I can understand what you were saying… Nishimiya. Me and you… Can we be… friends? Shit!! I went way too far!! I was just gonna apologize and get out of here! Why the hell did I end up asking her to be friends?… Why did I even say that?! Jeez, that’s so embarrassing! How can you even say that?” -Shoya Ishida
Knowing that Ishida had no intention of becoming Nishimiya’s friend at the beginning of the movie, we start to see a beautiful character transformation take place. This is the point in the movie that Shoya starts to make up for his cruel behavior.
6. “You probably didn’t know this, but I don’t really fit in at school. It’s cause I have trouble looking people in the eye, so it’s easier for me to just stare at the floor all the time.” -Shoya Ishida
Shoya knows that he doesn’t fit in with the other students at school, and he often deals with anxiety when people start to talk about him. But luckily, Shoko notices and helps to remove him from the classroom to help him calm down.
7. “You know, when we were in Elementary school, I was way too scared to ride this. I was such a coward back then. But then, one day, I looked at it differently. I was going to wait until after the ride to decide if it was scary or not. Can’t help feeling scared, though. Here we go!” -Miyoko
This A Silent Voice movie quote is in many ways relatable to how people feel in scary situations. Miyoko describes her transformation from when she was younger. She is no longer afraid of the ride.
8. “I thought if she saw what death looked like, she’d stop saying she wanted to kill herself. I didn’t know what else to do.” -Yuzuru
This A Silent Voice movie quote can be quite triggering and dark. At a very young age, Shoko wanted nothing to do with the world and thought it would be better if she no longer existed. Yuzuru, Shoko’s sister, makes an effort to put a stop to her negative thoughts by taking photos of dead animals and displaying them around the house.
9. “Yasho was kind and open-hearted enough to accept a guy like me. For the first time, I know what it feels like to have a true friend. Yasho is my best friend in the whole world, So I know he’ll wake up. He just has to.” -Tomohiro
Tomohiro was an outsider until he met Shoko and Shoya (Yasho). When Shoya ends up in the hospital, Tomohiro mentions how good of a friend Yasho is to Shoko and hopes he is able to recover.
10. “I knew it. I knew something was going on with you! Do not even try to deny it! Your room is clean for a change, You cancelled your phone service, and everything after April 5th’s torn off from your calendar! I can’t believe it, It’s so morbid. Promise me you won’t go through with it or I’m torching this! The 1.7 Million Yen you earned will go to waste!” -Miyako
As a kid, Shoya found himself breaking quite a few hearing aids from Shoko. His mother paid Shoko’s family for the losses. Eventually, Shoya owns up to his mistakes and pays back the money to Miyako. This A Silent Voice movie quote is a life lesson that all viewers should take note of.
11. “Now you and I is friends. It can be as simple as that, ya see? Friendship don’t gotta do with no rules or qualifications cause it’s about something deeper, a bond, and you just can’t break it, capisce?” -Tomohiro
Shoya finds it hard to believe that he has a friend like Tomohiro, so Tomohiro goes out of his way to create an exclusive handshake in confirmation of their friendship.
12. “We were all so worried about you. I know life can be hard sometimes, but it’s like that for everyone. The thing is, you have to accept the bad parts of yourself with the good and just move forward.” -Miki
Miki didn’t like the fact that Shoko wanted to kill herself and made an effort to bring everyone back together before Shoya woke up. Nothing like this quote from Miki that gives even the viewers a sense of motivation!
13. “Shoya! You’re okay, I’m glad. Cause if you didn’t wake up, I didn’t know what I would do! You’re everything to me! I would’ve been all alone! Listen, the stuff on the bridge, don’t worry about it, okay? Friends say stuff they don’t mean to each other all the time! It doesn’t matter! I’m begging you, don’t ever leave us again! Promise me! I can’t lose you!” -Tomohiro
When Shoya wakes up towards the end of the movie, Tomohiro tells him that the things they said to each other during their fight don’t matter. We can tell how truly devoted Tomohiro is to his friendship with Shoya.
14. “I want to tell you that I’m really sorry. I never apologized for all the stuff I did to you when we were kids, or any of the other stuff afterwards either, so I’m sorry. But the thing is, even though you were going through alot, I was being selfish and focused on myself. More than anything, I wanted to have a conversation with you. I wasn’t trying to hurt you but I must have because I made you feel so bad about yourself that you decided to go and do the unthinkable.” -Shoya Ishida
After making amends with his best friend, Shoya leaves the hospital in hopes of finding Shoko on the bridge. During their reunion, they both end up apologizing and Shoya tells her that they should both keep moving forward in life.
15. “You’ve got a heart of gold. Shoko’s no slouch either. I’ve got some mighty fine grandchildren. Have one of the manju, too.” -Ito
The last conversation that Ito had with her grandchildren before she passed away. She expresses how proud she is of her grandchildren and sees them despite their flaws.
This list of A Silent Voice movie quotes will always stick with us till the very end. Which quotes stuck out to you the most?
Watch the animated movie on Netflix!
For more entertainment and fun quotes, visit these articles: