If you’re like most people, you want to make the most of your spray tan. That means taking care of your skin and wearing clothes that will show off your beautiful new glow. In this blog post, we’ll discuss what to wear after a spray tan and how to make the most of your treatment.
By following these simple tan tips, you can make the most of your spray tan and show off your beautiful new glow! After your spa treatments and spray tans make sure to moisturize your skin to keep it looking smooth and healthy.
A great way to keep your tan from smearing is to wear looser clothing and avoid rain or water.
Read below for the scoop on what to wear after a spray tan!
Before and During Your Spray
Before getting a spray tan for the first time, you want to make sure your skin is all set. Tan preparation is as important as aftercare. For optimal results, make sure to exfoliate and moisturize on the day of your spray. Many drugstore lotions will do. This helps hydrate the skin and keeps the tan from coming in patchy. You may also want to use a barrier cream, which helps the tan from absorbing too heavily.
Whether you’re getting a custom airbrush tan, a custom spray tan, or just a regular spray tan, the tanning process itself is relatively simple.
At your tan appointment, you’ll assess which shade will best match your skin tone. While it’s tempting to go as dark as you can, if you have pale skin, you’re better off sticking to a lighter shade.
What To Wear During Your Spray
While some people strip during the application process, many people choose to wear either a bathing suit or their own undergarments.
Because these can create strap marks, for the best results, using disposable thongs is highly recommended. This is because they create a natural tan line and are convenient to use because they’re meant to get stained.
Nose filters should also be worn during application, to prevent inhaling the spray. Many people, especially people with light colored hair, also wear a shower cap, or some type of protective hair cap, during the process, to prevent getting bronzer in their hair. You may also wear sticky feet pads to prevent spray from getting on the bottom of your feet.
What To Wear After Your Spray Tan
After your tanning appointment, it’s important to make sure that you wear the appropriate clothing. The right clothes will allow your skin to breathe, and wearing the wrong clothes can ruin your tan. You’ll want to avoid wearing tight clothes.
Wearing tight clothing, such as sports bras, jeans, and yoga pants, can lead to staining, indentations, and uneven wear. Instead, choose loose fitting clothes (such as t-shirts, shorts, and even loose underwear) made from natural fabrics like cotton or linen. These materials will allow your skin to breathe and will help keep you cool.
After your first spray tan loose clothing helps it to not stick and get on your clothes. It is ideal to wear loose clothes when going to get a spray tan and after.
You’ll also want to avoid wearing the wrong footwear, such as sneakers. Flip flops, or any other open toed shoe, are highly recommended to prevent staining. Aside from wearing the right clothing, dark color clothing is recommended over lighter clothing.
If you’re going out in public after your spray tan, you’ll want to take some precautions. First, apply a light layer of sunscreen to exposed areas. This will help protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays.
Second, wear dark clothes. Spray tans have the tendency to rub off so make sure to wear dark clothing.-colored clothing can absorb the bronzer and cause streaks or uneven patches.
Good Colors To Wear After A Spray Tan
When you go out to get some fresh air with your new tan, you’ll want to make it look as good as possible. While softer shades should be avoided directly after getting a spray tan, once your tan finally sets, wearing these shades will help to best accentuate your new glow! Some of the best colors to wear include:
- Off white/cream
- Light grey
- Baby blue
- Navy blue (avoid if you are very fair-skinned)
Colors To Avoid
Likewise, while softer shades work to highlight a person’s tan, there are some colors that can make it look too harsh. Some colors to avoid include:
- Black (unless you want a more intense look)
- Bright yellow
- Pink (can look streaky)
- Brown/beige (can look muddy)
Fabrics To Wear
- Nylon (avoid if you are very fair-skinned)
- Polyester (avoid if you are very fair-skinned)
Fabrics To Avoid
- Any fabric that doesn’t breathe well such as polyester, nylon, etc.
- Tight clothing as it can rub the bronzer off
- Clothing with a lot of seams or detail work as this can also cause the bronzer to rub off.
- Sweaters or anything that will shed. The last thing you want is your spray tan turning your clothes orange!
Good Outfit Ideas With A Tan
- A white linen dress or tunic with sandals
- Khaki pants and a light blue blouse
- A baby blue maxi skirt with a white tank top
- A navy blue wrap dress
- Sunscreen: Sunscreen is very important to wear after your spray tan. Apply a light layer of sunscreen to any exposed areas before going out in the sun.
How To Take Care of Your Spray Tan
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! This will help prolong the life of your spray tan. Look for a lotion
- or oil that is designed for sun-kissed skin.
- Apply a light layer of sunscreen (as well as lip balm with SPF) to exposed areas. This will help protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Avoid long hot showers or baths as this can cause your tan to fade.
- Gently exfoliate your skin a few times a week. This will help remove dead skin cells and keep your spray tan-looking fresh.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes to prevent any smearing of the tan.
What Not To Do After a Spray Tan
- Don’t sweat! This can cause your tan to fade or streak, create trails of the tanning solution, and can stain your clothes or other materials, such as your bed sheets.
- Your first shower should come at least 4-8 hours after your tan session. A cold shower with cold water is preferred to help the tan set. Showering will not affect development time.
- Wait until your first shower to use body lotion or moisturizer.
- Avoid water activities such as swimming or soaking in the tub.
- Don’t apply any products to your skin that contain oils or fragrances. These can cause your tan to fade prematurely.
- Don’t shave or wax your skin. This can also cause your tan to fade prematurely.
- Don’t rub or scratch your skin. This can also cause your tan to fade prematurely.
- Avoid using shaving cream or any harsh soaps or body washes, since they can shorten the life of your tan.
- A good way is to stay away from pore strips. Using these can lead to premature tan fading.
The most important thing is to keep your spray hydrated. Depending on the tanning salon you go to, they might have their own specific recommendations to use afterward, at an additional cost.
By following these simple tips, you can make the most of your spray tan and show off your beautiful new glow!
Can You Wear Makeup After a Spray Tan?
You can wear makeup after a spray tan, but you’ll want to take some precautions. First, wait at least 24 hours after your spray tan before applying makeup.
This will give the bronzer time to set and will help avoid streaks or smudging. Second, use mineral-based makeup products instead of liquid foundation. Mineral makeup will not rub off the bronzer and will help keep your makeup looking fresh all day long.
How To Avoid Uneven Tanning
While overall results vary, one of the most common complaints about spray tans is that they can result in an uneven tan. This happens when some areas of your skin absorb more of the bronzer than others. The best thing you can do for the best tan results are:
- Exfoliate your skin before getting a spray tan. Many people choose to use an exfoliating mitt. This will help remove any dead skin cells that could prevent the bronzer from absorbing evenly.
- Make sure your skin is free of any oils or lotions before getting a spray tan. These can also prevent the bronzer from absorbing evenly.
- Apply the bronzer evenly to all areas of your skin to make sure your tan looks even. Be sure to pay special attention to drier body parts, such as your elbows, knees, and ankles.
- If you notice any areas that seem to be absorbing more bronzer than others, lightly dust those areas with baby powder. This will help absorb any excess bronzer and give you a more even tan.
While spray tanning is simple, it’s not for everyone. The good news is, there are other forms of sunless tanning. Many people use cosmetic bronzers to highlight their perfect tan. If you’re looking for something quick and inexpensive, then using a self tanner would be your best option.
Self tanners, or tan rubs, are one of the most popular sunless tanners, and are recommended by many, including celebrity spray tan artist, Kristyn Pradas. The best spray and most effective self tanners are those that contain DHA solutions, which is the active ingredient found in a tan formula.
Similar to spray tanning, you want to make sure to prep your skin before applying. Many people also opt for a custom spray tan or a custom airbrush tan, where a tan artist applies the color onto the body.
Another good idea is a tanning bed. Since most people will not see immediate color after using a tanning bed, you typically have to go for 3-5 tanning session until you notice a change.
Using sun beds are considered to be an ideal tan experience because they reach your entire body, greatly reduce the risk of getting ugly tan lines, and there is less overall maintenance required.
Everyone’s tan experience is different. Even if it isn’t your first time getting a spray tan, you still want to look good! These tips will help you to best accentuate your new glow!
For the scoop on more skincare tips and information, be sure to check out these articles below:
- 15 Best Face Primers For Oily Skin At Ulta
- How To: Achieve the Perfect Spray Tan
- The Best Skincare Tips For Dry Skin
- 8 Tobi Favorites That All Fashionistas Need in Their Summer Wardrobe